The rising cost of living

StefanAVFC

8 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

I hate tesco but one thing that i like are those scanning guns as you can scan all your items so you can monitor what the shop will be. Since i been doing that i been saving about £20 a week

Waitrose do that with the advantage of no maggots in your meat :mrgreen: 

5 hours ago, desensitized43 said:

I imagine we could reduce spend on the usual Tesco shop by going down the readymeal route

Ready meals are never as cheaper option unless they have yellow stickers on them

We’ve been looking at holidays and the prices are absolutely incredible. Miles above the official inflation figure.

We’ve looked at abroad and UK. My wife just mentioned a 1 week stay at Butlins in July in a 2 bedroom chalet is over £1700 self catering. That’s ridiculous.

I only learned a couple of years ago that supermarkets can specify bespoke chocolate sizes from manufacturers so eg 4 packs of Twirls vary in size between supermarkets (but cost the same) so you have to be careful. 

We've got all the major supermarkets in easy reach so tend to visit them all for various reasons. 

I've noticed before that Asda always seem to be the stingiest, their bars always seem a bit smaller than the others but I bought a £1 slab of dairy milk from them yesterday and not only is the bar a bit smaller but it's so bloody thin it's not much thicker than those Dairy Milk small bars. 

I reckon they've probably got half as much chocolate in each bar as you get in Tesco or Sainsburys. 

So not only are prices rising at a hell of a pace but shrinkflation is on the up too. 

Edited by sidcow
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, sidcow said:

I only learned a couple of years ago that supermarkets can specify bespoke chocolate sizes from manufacturers so eg 4 packs of Twirls vary in size between supermarkets (but cost the same) so you have to be careful. 

We've got all the major supermarkets in easy reach so tend to visit them all for various reasons. 

I've noticed before that Asda always seem to be the stingiest, their bare always seem a bit smaller than the others but I bought a £1 slab of dairy milk from them yesterday and not only is the bar a bit smaller but it's so bloody thin it's not much thicker than those Dairy Milk small bars. 

I reckon they've probably got half as much chocolate in each bar as you get in Tesco or Sainsburys. 

So not only are prices rising at a hell of a pace but shrinkflation is on the up too. 

I just checked (I know, what a **** saddo)

Asda Dairy Milk, £1.25 for 100g (£1.14 per 100g)

Tesco Dairy Milk £1.35 for 110g (£1.23 per 100g)

Sainsburys £1.50 for 110g (£1.36 per 100g)

Morrisons £1.50 for 110g (£1.36 per 100g)

Asda smallest but cheapest at current prices.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, sidcow said:

I've noticed before that Asda always seem to be the stingiest, their bare always seem a bit smaller than the others but I bought a £1 slab of dairy milk from them yesterday and not only is the bar a bit smaller but it's so bloody thin it's not much thicker than those Dairy Milk small bars. 

Crisps have got ridiculous, especially walkers, literally about 5 decent crisps in there packets now, the rest are off cuts. An what the **** is a grab bag, a packet with a decent amount if crisps inside, cheeky barsquids.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Genie said:

Just checked. The one I've got is 95g so I reckon they've shrunk them again recently. 

• Shocked 1

Just now, sidcow said:

Just checked. The one I've got is 95g so I reckon they've shrunk them again recently. 

Shrinkflation is no joke.

A bag of multipack monster munch contains about 4 “crisps”.

Edited by Genie

3 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Crisps have got ridiculous, especially walkers, literally about 5 decent crisps in there packets now, the rest are off cuts. An what the **** is a grab bag, a packet with a decent amount if crisps inside, cheeky barsquids.

Packs of mini eggs are the worst. The original £1 bags which used to be massive are now the size of a pack of treat size Haribo and the new "family" packs that are the size they always used to be are £3+ now. 

7 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Crisps have got ridiculous, especially walkers, literally about 5 decent crisps in there packets now, the rest are off cuts. A what the **** is a grab bag, a packet with a decent amount if crisps inside, cheeky barsquids.

If you want ridiculous, then buy 24 packets of Jeremy Clarksons Hand cooked crisps for £37 !!

12 minutes ago, Genie said:

Lidl milk chocolate is 59p for 100g and tastes so much better than dairy milk.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Genie said:

200w.gif?cid=82a1493blqw2qo55a5rl8owz5jk

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Genie said:

We’ve been looking at holidays and the prices are absolutely incredible. Miles above the official inflation figure.

We’ve looked at abroad and UK. My wife just mentioned a 1 week stay at Butlins in July in a 2 bedroom chalet is over £1700 self catering. That’s ridiculous.

The airlines are just as bad as the gas companies. Thieving bastards.  Everyone should just take a year off no holiday then they ahve all these empty seats that they can't fill then they will be forced to reduce their prices

Anyone thats got 2 or 3 kids forget it its gonna cost you a absolute fortune

12 hours ago, Genie said:

Yes I was looking online as I fell for all of the carpet bomb advertisements since January. I would very roughly guess prices seem about 20% up from last year. They probably think as it is only once or perhaps twice a year people forget what they previously paid for.

2 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

The airlines are just as bad as the gas companies. Thieving bastards.  Everyone should just take a year off no holiday then they ahve all these empty seats that they can't fill then they will be forced to reduce their prices

Anyone thats got 2 or 3 kids forget it its gonna cost you a absolute fortune

We are a family who likes holidays. We don’t have fancy cars or other extravagances but have tended to go on 2-3 foreign holidays per year (this is what comes from marrying a travel agent). She’s permanently scouring the websites for deals and we’ve had plenty of bargains over the years.

We won’t be this year that’s for sure. Prices generally seem to be about double (or more) of last year across the board.

Even shitty hotels in Benidorm with terrible Ryanair fights are waaay up on 2022. Travel is more like >80% inflation. 

1 minute ago, The Fun Factory said:

Yes I was looking online as I fell for all of the carpet bomb advertisements since January. I would very roughly guess prices seem about 20% up from last year. They probably think as it is only once or perhaps twice a year people forget what they previously paid for.

We have all the apps so have been hammered with their non-existent offers. I’d snap their hands off at +20% on last years prices. 

13 hours ago, Genie said:

The price of holidays in the UK have been a joke ever since COVID. They know that people are less interested in going overseas, due to potential disruptions, but rather than try and build a domestic holiday market, they're just squeezing every last drop out of you. In a few years it'll be 'why does no one go on holiday in UK, we need the tourism money' despite the fact they've caused it through their own greed 

• Like 2

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â