TLOTR: The Rings of Power

maqroll

2 minutes ago, Panto_Villan said:

Season 2 is good, then?

Only 5 mins in so far.

Edit: Although I'd say it feels zero % like the characters and world Tolkien described.

Edited by sne

I've not watched any of the new series yet, but canonically Sauron is essentially an extremely powerful angel. Don't make Lucifer parallels.

OK so the first ep of S2 was absolute nonsense. I suspect this is a show that will be better the less you know about the world of Tolkien or even the Peter Jackson movies because the difference in how the characters act compared to my head canon is jarring. All this doesn't mean it has to be a bad show but the first ep was tedious and boring. And as mentioned made no sense what's so ever.

Watched the first 3 episodes. 

It remains exceptionally well made. 

It's still got it's good and bad. There's stuff in the opening episode that, whilst it's wholecloth made up, isn't too bad - I wouldn't have Sauron as Venom personally but it fudges into the canon enough that it doesn't really matter and it just about works. Most of the stuff with the dwarves is pretty good even though it's kinda inconsequential.

But then we've got notGandalf and the notHobbits notdoing notmuch. And all the stuff with the Elves is overwrought in the same bad way it was last series and it doesn't feel like it's got enough to build on. And Numenor isn't moving much either. And Isildur feels like a storyline in search of a point, and it's still stupidly written in parts - his definitely not love interest with a past stabbing him was an absurd bit of writing.

The Sauron stuff is solid.

So far it's better than the first series but that's a fairly low bar, and there is still the distinct feeling it's weaving with very little thread.

You just come back to the fact a Second Age LotR prequel series is a really, really, really bad idea. There's not enough there. Jackson dealt with the meaningful bits in his prologue, and the rest of it you could maybe make a movie out of but it would be very dull, and wouldn't get made because it wouldn't be 'LotR-y' enough. 

I'm watching it in the same way you'd watch a big fire on a boring night in a dead town.

Who is this for? I have no idea what it's trying to be. This latest episode was smack full of member berries and familiar stuff but it's a YA level or kids show that surely doesn't have a long arch script and is just making stuff up as it goes. Just feels so shallow and lacking gravitas (is that the correct word?) 

Galadriel being a petulant 3000 year old (or whatever) child is my biggest gripe, among many. Show looks and is expensive thou.

• Like 2

By all accounts this second season is worse than the first. I don't know how that could be possible. 

Viewership figures are astonishingly bad. I mean they spent a billion quid on it and now almost certainly has to be cancelled. 

I have to say it's highly amusing and warms the heart that garbage like this has failed so spectacularly. Same with all the dogshit Disney puts out. All losing the companies fortunes and forcing the re-evaluation. 

Give money to proven show runners and keep the agenda away, the pandering away. Let people make the shows they want if they are talented enough. 

Fallout was a good watch. Goes to show if have good writing and interesting characters people will watch. That show has been a huge success I believe. 

43 minutes ago, Jareth said:

It is so so so so so so so very boring

Yeah it is

It's not even got that house of the dragons excuse where it feels like it's always kicking the can on to next week (and then not delivering...) 

It doesn't even bubble along nicely, it's just nothingness 

• Like 1

I switched off in the episode that had Jehovahs witness Jesus step out of what-che-me-call-him-elf blokes fireplace - the one wot makes the rings not forged in the heart of a volcano. Also so many interactions in the episodes felt like a computer game main player character interacting with NPCs.

Episode 4 head a lot of the stuff I don't like and not much of the good. 

It's just dull and there's too much chick the IP at it and too much mystery box crap.

The hatred for it being 'woke' or whatever is completely misguided, it's bad because it's trying to build an epic event TV series out of bugger all material that doesn't lend itself to a modern event TV series, and a load of the stuff they've built to plug the hole is rubbish.

I binged the entire season 1 in one day just before season 2 started as I could barely remember what happened.  I must admit, I enjoyed it far more doing it that way than when it was first on. 

I suspect S2 would be the same. The individual episodes aren't really strong enough for one a week. Not so far anyway.

I quite liked the first episode of the new season 👀

I thought the first season was meh and I'm pretty sure I'll think the same of this one too but I quite enjoyed the first episode. 

On 07/09/2024 at 17:00, CVByrne said:

I have to say it's highly amusing and warms the heart that garbage like this has failed so spectacularly. Same with all the dogshit Disney puts out. All losing the companies fortunes and forcing the re-evaluation. 

On 08/09/2024 at 00:25, troon_villan said:

The individual episodes aren't really strong enough for one a week. Not so far anyway.

yeah maybe interesting maybe not, they keep putting huge expensive TV shows out that are substandard and to compound it they do it on a weekly basis which most people don't want anymore

i reckon by about episode 6 of this I'll have forgotten its even on and drift away

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â