Our strikers for 2022/23

Tom13

Who would you like to see stay? Who would you like to see go? Who would you like to see loaned out (again)?

Ollie Watkins

Danny Ings

Keinan Davis

Cameron Archer

Wesley Moraes

And keeping it realistic, who (if anyone), would you like to see brought in?

I'd keep Watkins and Ings, maybe add one. loan Archer out and sell the other two.

Thanks to Ben Mee, I'm afraid Wesley will never be what he was when he arrived and we need to let him go.

I think Davis might develop into a Premier league striker, but he needs to play in order to do that and we should probably let him go for his own good.

I'm not quite convinced that Archer will be a Premier League striker at the level we're after - although he has a chance of proving me wrong, he's already much better this season than I thought he had in him, another loan would prove it one way or the other.

• Like 1

I would play Ings for the rest of the season and see if an improvement and give Watkins something to think about. If similar results would dump both

If Archer and Davis continue the form then bring them back next season. Sadly I think Wesley time is up

As for coming in depends on budget we have. Not sure we could afford or financially out muscle teams for Isak or Jonathan David

• Like 1

Here's what I'd like to do as things stand:

Ollie Watkins - Keep, but as backup. We need someone with a bit more intelligence and technical ability to be first choice. Watkins rarely makes clever runs, and if we've got top creators behind him, they're going to become more and more frustrated. When his energy and workrate are there, he can still offer something, so I'd keep him as a backup/second option.

Danny Ings - Cash in and replace. Tough one, but he's 30 this summer. Has shown glimpses of what he can do, but he's also looked very sluggish. If he was Watkins' age, it would be a no brainer to sell Ollie and keep Ings, but I think Ollie would be more impactful as a sub than Ings. So I'd rather take the Ings cash and go all out for a new first choice striker. Who? I don't know enough about players across the globe these days, but hopefully we could find someone.

Keinan Davis - Loan out until January, ideally to a relegation battling PL team or an upper Championship team (as long as he's guaranteed minutes). I still think there's a hell of a player in there. Give him some more regular football now he's got a taste for it, and maybe recall him in January to fight for the second spot with Watkins, a battle which I could see him winning.

Cameron Archer - I must admit I've not seen enough of Archer to have a proper opinion. Purely for this reason I'll just say another loan out and see what he can do.

Wesley Moraes - Wes is a good passer and a clever finisher, but that may be it. In the videos of him at Internacional, it looks to me as if he's bulked up his upper body, so maybe while he's there he'll develop some 'target man' like qualities as well. A loan out to gauge whether he can still offer us anything would be good. I just can't write him off completely yet!

Edited by Tom13

11 minutes ago, Aston_Villan4 said:

I say we let Ings start for the rest of the season so we can see if he fits in better with Buendia and Coutinho

Yeah I'd like to see that as well. I still think we'll be needing something else at CF next season though.

It’s hard to sell Ings. I’d sell Watkins, sign Suarez for free and get back Davis. Loan Archer again. Try to sell Wesley as well, I haven’t seen good games from him apart from Everton, Burnley and possibly Norwich. Will be hard to offload though.

get a sports psychologist or someone or something to tickle watkins' bollocks, too early to give up on him, we have to turn him around

give archer a chance

sell ings if we can but i dont think we will / can

sell davis, he's found his level, as much as i like him and want him to he's not going to do it at villa

sell wesley

after that its off in to the unknown...i dont know who the £50m proven goalscorer is who walks through the door at VP, scouts need to pluck one from somewhere, i see the likes of vlahovic going for £80m and think the task is going to be incredibly hard, i honestly think getting ollie back to being near a 20 goal striker will be easier than finding a new 20 goal striker

Suarez would be incredibly short term thinking and our strategy shouldn't be to buy ageing superstars.

I get it with Coutinho as he has that bit of class that we need, but Coutinho is also 29 and still many years in him. Suarez is 35 now.

For me:

• Watkins - keep for squad but probably only as impact sub unless he finds form and learns to finish
  • Ings - sell if we can get around 20m for him (maybe even sell for 15m), will be 30 in summer and only really works with 2 up front
  • Davis - sell for 5-10m, done really well at Forest and has qualities but reminds me too much like Heskey and will never be prolific at this level
  • Archer - loan out again for one more season
  • Wesley - if we can get some money back for him, sell him where he'll play football and hopefully have a decent career somewhere

If we have a budget to buy a big name striker, anyone of Schick, Jonathan David or Osimhen would be my choice. These would cost 40-60m at least though and given we need to buy a starting CB and a CDM in the summer it may not be possible to fund this. 

Edited by VillaFaninLondon

33 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

get a sports psychologist or someone or something to tickle watkins' bollocks, too early to give up on him, we have to turn him around

give archer a chance

sell ings if we can but i dont think we will / can

sell davis, he's found his level, as much as i like him and want him to he's not going to do it at villa

sell wesley

after that its off in to the unknown...i dont know who the £50m proven goalscorer is who walks through the door at VP, scouts need to pluck one from somewhere, i see the likes of vlahovic going for £80m and think the task is going to be incredibly hard, i honestly think getting ollie back to being near a 20 goal striker will be easier than finding a new 20 goal striker

Should have landed Julien Alvarez last summer when we had the chance.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Zatman said:

One league goal since the start of November. His lack of movement has led to Atletico decline

2 goals actually. He's just going through a bit of a bad patch anyway.

He's league form was pretty monstrous earlier in the season.To the point that he's goal return this season is still 1 goal every 160 minutes. Way better than Ings's(1 goal ever 280 minutes) and Watkins'(1 goal every 320 minutes) rates.

It should be noted that Atletico's problem this season isn't even scoring. It's just their defence has gone to absolute shit. Conceding at double the rate they were last season. I feel like it's unfair to blame much of that on Suarez.

Edited by Laughable Chimp
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

Suarez would be incredibly short term thinking and our strategy shouldn't be to buy ageing superstars.

I get it with Coutinho as he has that bit of class that we need, but Coutinho is also 29 and still many years in him. Suarez is 35 now.

For me:

• Watkins - keep for squad but probably only as impact sub unless he finds form and learns to finish
  • Ings - sell if we can get around 20m for him (maybe even sell for 15m), will be 30 in summer and only really works with 2 up front
  • Davis - sell for 5-10m, done really well at Forest and has qualities but reminds me too much like Heskey and will never be prolific at this level
  • Archer - loan out again for one more season

If we have a budget to buy a big name striker, anyone of Schick, Jonathan David or Osimhen would be my choice. These would cost 40-60m at least though and given we need to buy a starting CB and a CDM in the summer it may not be possible to fund this. 

Schick and David would be good shouts.  No chance of Osimhen, he's in the same bracket as Vlahovic, Napoli will be looking £80m to sell him.

Â