Omari Kellyman

zab6359

Am I the only one who's more disappointed by this than any of the potential sales? He looked stellar in the few appearances he made. I know it's never simple but it won't sit right with me if we offload a kid like this while being unable to shift on the likes of Hause and Duran. 

12 minutes ago, AV82 said:

Am I the only one who's more disappointed by this than any of the potential sales? He looked stellar in the few appearances he made. I know it's never simple but it won't sit right with me if we offload a kid like this while being unable to shift on the likes of Hause and Duran. 

Not too disappointed, its a good price abd we get Maatsen. I assume that we wouldn't have been able to sign one without the other going. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, AV82 said:

It sucks but it’s also the crap rules of PSR meaning we can’t develop youth like before as the rules incentivise sales as pure profit. As good as he is, £19m is simply too good to turn down. It solves a lot of issues for us in the immediacy. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The_Steve said:

Burnley paid £19m for James Trafford after promotion despite him making no league appearances for City. Don’t recall the outrage there. 

That'll be James Trafford, the goalkeeper who had worked his way through every England international youth level, played three seasons on loan and, in his final season before his £19m move, broke Bolton's clean sheet record, was voted their Player Of The Season and was also voted in the League One Team Of The Year?

Just now, bobzy said:

That'll be James Trafford, the goalkeeper who had worked his way through every England international youth level, played three seasons on loan and, in his final season before his £19m move, broke Bolton's clean sheet record, was voted their Player Of The Season and was also voted in the League One Team Of The Year?

Was that market value though? The bigger issue is how City horde talent and impose anti-competitive buy backs - I believe like Dougie, the fee was £15m buy back. All his success in the lower leagues doesn’t denote that his value was worth that. My point is to draw an argument about hypocrisies. There’s plenty of examples where we did overpay for talent, but that wasn’t facing as much scrutiny. The rules stink still. But City get no criticism for the above. Trafford ain’t the only example of this practice.

1 minute ago, bobzy said:

Or the same Kellyman who played for NI youth international all through the age groups, then when switched to England was capped at age groups there. Who had been on the bench of the Derby first team at 16 in the Championship? 

Just now, The_Steve said:

Was that market value though? The bigger issue is how City horde talent and impose anti-competitive buy backs - I believe like Dougie, the fee was £15m buy back. All his success in the lower leagues doesn’t denote that his value was worth that. My point is to draw an argument about hypocrisies. There’s plenty of examples where we did overpay for talent, but that wasn’t facing as much scrutiny. The rules stink still. But City get no criticism for the above. Trafford ain’t the only example of this practice.

I think £19m for a promising goalkeeper is probably about right.  He'd certainly done a hell of a lot more than Kellyman (or Chukwuemeka) has in his career.  You'd also assume (rightly or wrongly) that better players are largely kept and produced by the academies at the bigger clubs.  Our academy is getting up there so maybe we'll see bigger money moves for youngsters continuing to some extent.  We've obviously got a lovely relationship with Chelsea for some dealings, though.

Just now, mikeyp102 said:

Or the same Kellyman who played for NI youth international all through the age groups, then when switched to England was capped at age groups there. Who had been on the bench of the Derby first team at 16 in the Championship? 

Yeah, I mean it's just nowhere near the same level of achievement to date, is it?  Trafford was (and presumably will be) Burnley's No. 1 immediately after they bought him.  You think Kellyman is making the Chelsea first team regularly any time soon?

5 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

He also registered 37 minutes via two sub appearances last season. Proof that we had intended to use him more in the future. The club should and did absolutely demand fair value for a very promising talent we had begun to integrate into the first-team squad. Especially when he did on occasion make the bench for match days. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

He also registered 37 minutes via two sub appearances last season. Proof that we had intended to use him more in the future. The club should and did absolutely demand fair value for a very promising talent we had begun to integrate into the first-team squad. Especially when he did on occasion make the bench for match days. 

Absolutely - disappointing to see him leave, really.

56 minutes ago, AV82 said:

I'm not particularly disappointed right now but it'll be horrible if he goes on to be a top player. I suppose this is the gamble/issue with all of these sales.

To date though, broadly, and I appreciate they're all still young, there havent been many of the last 5 or 6 20ish year olds we've sold who have kicked on elsewhere. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AV82 said:

I’m disappointed as I think he’s going to be a very good player, but under the current rules I think it’s a great deal for the club. Shows they need updating.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AV82 said:

Get used to it, we're gonna see this every season now.

1 hour ago, AV82 said:

The only thing disappointing is it's Chelsea. He will just become part of the churn there, a bad move for any player.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AV82 said:

He did look great but this is the same as Carney to me, it's an attacking player with undeniable talent that could go to the top, but has had injuries and could just as easily end up in league one. If you're being offered £19mil it's too good to turn down imo. 

The other thing about both those players is they're not local lads. I'm more gutted when the likes of Archer and Aaron Ramsey go because they've grown up in the area and been in the academy a lot of their childhood. It's good when we find them good clubs though that will give them playing time. Kellyman is from Derby's academy really and he's Northern Irish, he's not really got any affinity for us. Carney came in from Northampton. 

One thing I'd hope is there's a buy back clause if he does turn out amazing, be good to have first dibs bringing him back to champions league football from a mid-table side. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AV82 said:

Stellar? Really?

He looked about par for a talented kid is probably the best you could say objectively. 

I don't really get the posts using sales of young players with previous loan experience as comparable precedents. Kellyman doesn't have that which is why it drew more attention to it as an obvious PSR play. 

Nothing wrong with it of course. It is the sort of deal that the current rules have unintentionally lead to. Even with an investigation, I don't see exactly what sort of rule change the Premier League to get 14 of the 20 clubs to agree on to prevent it happening in the future. 

Â