Omari Kellyman

zab6359

31 minutes ago, gwi1890 said:

And Solanke the City sold about 8 players to Southampton in the range of £10m to £22m  and now we are doing something similar we didn’t create the rules. 

Madrid activated Vinicius release clause of €45m a week after he made his senior debut, yet nobody batted an eyelid.

Teams buying these players are buying their potential, some will be worth it, some won’t.

• Like 4

Brewster had done well for Swansea at Championship level, which is way higher level than any level that Kellyman is proven at, at the time of Brewster's infamous Sheffield United switch there were those that though the price was over the top but also a number suggesting him as a signing for us

But it's pointless comparing the Kellyman transfer to the transfer of players who already a decent amount of senior experience to speak of, as there's a completely different dynamic at play and thinking behind the valuations

In a strange counterinuitive way Kellyman is worth more now because of the very fact he has so little senior experience, he hasn't proven himself to be worth less, but of course you can't just apply that logic to any academy player that has barely played senior football, it has to those that are seen as very high potential

Aanother way of looking at it is if we had have kept Kellyman and loaned him to Championship next season and he was kind of average, he would be worth less next summer than he's being valued at now, despite the fact having an average season in the Championship would be pretty good going for a player his age

Chelsea paying as much as they are for Kellyman because they think he will become worth more and if he carries on on his current trajectory they're probably right, it's what we've been doing on a smaller scale with the sixteen year olds we've been signing each summer, some of whom we've paid a £1m for or more, of course you can say that's crazy money and point out senior players more proven that haven't cost as much but the point is we think we can devlop them to be worth much more, which is exactly what happened with Kellyman

• Like 1

Just looking at some other youth transfers, five years ago Manchester City signed Morgan Rogers for £4.5m, he had only turned seventeen a few days previous, they sold Shea Charles to Southampton for £12m, he had made just one first team appearance for City, Carlos Forb was sold to Ajax for £14m he never played for City's first team, in 22/23 City sold four youth players to Southampton for a combined fee of £51m, Romeo Lavia was £20m plus, he had only played for City's first team twice and one of those was a seven minute appearance, of the expensive quartet it was only Gavin Bazunu that even had any loan experience and that was at League One level, they had just four or senior appearance for Manchester City between them

Kellyman is slightly overpriced but it isn't to the extent people think, we're one of the best academies in the country and if you want to take one of, maybe the best player from that academy it's going to cost a lot of money, we saw him as a player with potential to break into the first team and become an important player, and as such it's only logical they he would cost a lot of money, if he stayed with us and broke into the first team like we presumably thought him capable he would then be worth a lot more than he's being valued at now

It's not really much different to when we sold Chukwuemeka, our best academy player, probably best academy player in the country, we wanted to keep him for our first team, so Chelsea had to pay a big fee to get him, Kellyman isn't quite as good as Chukwuemeka was, but also Chukwuemeka would have cost more if it wasn't for the fact his contract was running out, Kellyman signed a long-term deal

Again academy transfers are completey different to senior transfers, it's pointless comparing the two, with senior signings obviously the hope is that they can improve, but clubs pay mostly for what they've already shown, whereas with expensive aademy signings it's about what clubs think they can become, both we and Chelsea think Kellyman can become a top level player hence the expensive fee

Edited by useless
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

It's a real shame to lose him as he looked like he could be real prospect (moreso than JJ imo) and it's annoying to know he'll go to Chelsea where they'll likely keep him on a bench or loan him out. However this summer of PSR navigation has probably made a few of us a little numb to losing him - a year ago I would have been more outraged but now, it's just something we need to do and realistically we did the same when pinching him from Derby so the attachment isn't as great as if it were JJ going.

Good luck Omari 👋   (also say hi to Chuks for us 🙃)

I can't fault the business we are doing.....Omari does feature in a player type, we are blessed for, so the business looks prudent.

I think our inner circle are getting the balance right, with the incoming players poised to join.

We are also still in pursuit of 16 year olds like Hunt and Amundsen-Day with an encouraging feature of height, entering the fray.

48 minutes ago, PaulMcGrath_5 said:

I've never thought he looked anything more than decent. 

same as chuk where he doesn't look good but then at the same time he's an 18 year old playing in the PL, one of probably around 8 all season and miley aside none of them look good either

there really aren't many teenagers playing in the PL, him getting minutes is an achievement in itself that doesn't get respected

I did not have this on my Aston Villa Summer of Accounting bingo card.

I know practically nothing about him tbh and will now keep it that way. 

9 hours ago, PaulMcGrath_5 said:

I've never thought he looked anything more than decent. 

He was 17 and played about 100 odd minutes lol not everyone is Michael Owen.

"Didn't score 20 goals in his first season as a teenager."

Average.

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

He was 17 and played about 100 odd minutes lol not everyone is Michael Owen.

"Didn't score 20 goals in his first season as a teenager."

Average.

Why are you this way?

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, KevinRichardsonsMoustache said:

I thought he looked very good, but wondered why he didn't feature more in the Conference League.

Emery said at some point that there'd been an admin error - we either registered him on the wrong list or didn't register him at all because we thought we didn't have to. I think it was the latter

10 hours ago, _AA_786 said:

It's a real shame to lose him as he looked like he could be real prospect (moreso than JJ imo) and it's annoying to know he'll go to Chelsea where they'll likely keep him on a bench or loan him out. However this summer of PSR navigation has probably made a few of us a little numb to losing him - a year ago I would have been more outraged but now, it's just something we need to do and realistically we did the same when pinching him from Derby so the attachment isn't as great as if it were JJ going.

Good luck Omari 👋   (also say hi to Chuks for us 🙃)

The people who administer the PL are crooks, it looks like Nas isn’t going to take it lying down and has reached for his lawyer. That’s definitely the way that City are approaching the problem, if you can’t beat ‘em……..Nas and Wes are winners and will do what it takes to win. 

1 hour ago, PaulMcGrath_5 said:

Why are you this way?

He's got a very valid point though. His return given his game time, age and experience, was more than sound. 

2 minutes ago, T-Dog said:

He's got a very valid point though. His return given his game time, age and experience, was more than sound. 

One might say, he’s looked “decent”.

• Like 2

On 23/06/2024 at 12:49, Isa said:

Well let's be honest, if we took PSR out of the equation and bought a talented prospect with the same senior experience from another Premier League club for £19m, we would all be just a bit nonplussed wouldn't we? 

Not necessarily, no

11 hours ago, KevinRichardsonsMoustache said:

I thought he looked very good, but wondered why he didn't feature more in the Conference League.

Group stages he wasn’t registered properly, then he got injured. Was registered for knock outs, where he came on.

• Like 1

Â