Omari Kellyman

zab6359

As long as we have sell on and buy back clauses when we sell young talent I don't mind. If they go and are amazing, still feel a connection to the club etc then we can buy them back at a pre-arranged fee and everyone's a winner.

Chelsea were stockpiling and selling talented youngsters before Ciry were. They sold some that went on to be megastars (KDB, Salah etc) but they got good money for them and it funded them winning trophies. 

I'd love to see a homegrown star come through, but at the top clubs that is very rare. 

If this sale let's us buy the player's we need now to cement our place in the top 4 and continue to grow then so be it.

• Like 1

Good business for us, but a terrible move for Kellyman.

Chelsea policy is sign loads of talented young players and hope the stumble upon another Palmer.  Any that aren’t that level will get discarded.

2 minutes ago, Feidhlim said:

Let's all just trust Emery and Monchi, shall we? 

Even if this sale isn't a nice feeling

This type sale was the plan for the academy since NSWE took over, hoover up local talent and sell profit. We’re just seeing the plan bare fruit now.

• Like 1

I think this is both a sporting and PSR decision. 

It's always sad when a young player that's growing and developing and has an obvious talent gets sold, once you're on that journey with them you want to follow it through to it's natural conclusion; they become part of the family and you want to see them develop - one of our own and all that kind of thing - but there's a reality to our current squad and Omari's development that makes the move make sense, both to the player and the club. 

Omari is good right now and could be very, very good, but in our squad as it's developing today, we don't have any room for him to continue to grow - Rogers, Ramsey, Illing, McGinn, TIelemans, Bailey, Diaby and Buendia would all be in front of him in what would likely be a battle for three places - he'd be struggling to make the bench almost all of the time.

His options then become a loan or a move - he's outgrown U21's football in terms of how it can improve him - and I guess in this case, the move suits everyone a little more, we get a good price for him that can help ease our PSR worries, Chelsea get a good player and Omari gets a chunk of money and a new chapter in his adventure. 

Where he fits in at Chelsea is anyone's guess, he plays a similar role to Carney and it's not been easy for him, but that's not our problem and they've clearly promised him something that appeals, even if perhaps that's just a better loan.

I wish him well, he is by all accounts a good kid, and he's a very promising player that as he gets stronger will have the ability to dominate games. I've no doubt he has a bright future, but I think given our abundance of players that play in the parts of the pitch he's interested in, it's a move that makes football sense, and given the stupidity of the PSR rules, becomes almost inevitable.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, duke313 said:

Good business for us, but a terrible move for Kellyman.

Chelsea policy is sign loads of talented young players and hope the stumble upon another Palmer.  Any that aren’t that level will get discarded.

I don't think it's a bad move for him. He's not demanding first team football like Carney was, he's likely okay with going out on loan for the next 2-3 seasons and then he can re-evaluate his career path. 

Similar to Tim, he will probably get a pay jump, signing on fees. Less chance to break through into a first 11 perhaps unless he's very good, but he's so young he's got a lot of time to work things out.

Does this count towards Chelsea's spending or would it be a transfer that is youth team so is omitted?

Just wondering if this is a way for them to give us money and pay less for Duran without it counting as spending for them.

Slightly off topic but it was only 13 years ago that we paid a record fee of 18m for Darren Bent (rising to 24m, if it ever got there) and now we've sold 2 academy players for this type of fee. Crazy.

20million quid for a kid who won’t feature in the team this season seems like smart business. 

I don’t like seeing future talent like this being sacrificed but what option do we have. The rules are wrong but we have to work within them. At least for the time being. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pongo Waring said:

If we get an Alex Baena or a Matías Soulé with the money we got for Kellyman. You would all take that right?

Chelsea building a team for in 5-6 years time. Villa are building a team for now.

spacer.png

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, AndyM3000 said:

I don't think it's a bad move for him. He's not demanding first team football like Carney was, he's likely okay with going out on loan for the next 2-3 seasons and then he can re-evaluate his career path. 

Similar to Tim, he will probably get a pay jump, signing on fees. Less chance to break through into a first 11 perhaps unless he's very good, but he's so young he's got a lot of time to work things out.

The funny thing is, by Chelsea signing the likes of Kellyman and Duran from us. It will allow us to strengthen the first team, and in doing so we’ll probably finish above them again 😂

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pongo Waring said:

Yeah exactly. we wanna try our best to win a trophy now, we want champions league footy again. We not in a position to wait until Kellyman and Tim get good. 

Killing it today Pongo…

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hank Scorpio said:

It's all very short term. What happens in 3 or 4 years when we need younger players coming through and we sold our best ones to a supposed competitor just to beat an arbitrary deadline for accounting for one year to avoid punishment?

Young players don't come through all that often. 90% will always be sold off. All the top clubs in England use there academy to produce and eventually sell talent. When NSWE took over, Purslow stated that we needed to gear up our academy to produce talented players for profit. No one should be all that surprised at the business we are carrying out this summer.  

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

We ideally need to be doing a bit of both.

Make no mistake, Chelsea will be doing both, and won't be waiting 5 - 6 years, I'd cut that expectation time down in half at minimum.

Ideally, but if we don't prioritise the 'now' then we will be selling off far more than just kellyman in the future. We may never have a manager and owners as good as these so need to do everything we can to become a regular top 4 challengers. If that means selling a few fringe players and youth prospects to do it then so be it. 

• Like 3

Â