Summer Transfer Window 2022

Loxstock92

2 minutes ago, thabucks said:

Here’s van dijks FBREF defensive stats … would be too quick to write off caleta-Car based on his FBREF stats 

75753FC2-9716-4185-95D7-C6E20619F3C5.png

Someone who gets it.

Defensive stats are pointless, the more defending you have to do, the better your defensive stats will be.

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, duke313 said:

Enlighten us.

I don’t agree that the stats are “completely pointless” but I do think all these numbers need to be taken with a grain of salt as it doesn’t account for teams style of play and quality of players around said player and other external factors.

Edited by Aston_Villan4

1 minute ago, Aston_Villan4 said:

I don’t agree that the stats are “completely pointless,” I do think all these numbers also need to be taken with a grain of salt as it doesn’t account for teams style of play and quality of players around said player and other external factors.

Hence why they are meaningless.

Just now, Aston_Villan4 said:

Ha. No, they’re are not. Like I said, you have to understand how to read them. You can’t just look at the numbers and go “well that’s that then.” 

But that's what the person who I responded too had done.

12 minutes ago, thabucks said:

Here’s van dijks FBREF defensive stats … would be too quick to write off caleta-Car based on his FBREF stats 

75753FC2-9716-4185-95D7-C6E20619F3C5.png

To be fair this shows he is in the highest percentiles for possession based football for Centre backs and is in the top 1% of taking on dribblers.

The rest of the stats show how dominant Liverpool can be that they simply aren't having to complete as many defensive actions as other teams.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Chalobah feels like an odd one. Is he better than Konsa and Chambers right now? If he is, fine, play him alongside Mings straight away. If he isn't, then is there any point? 

From a buddy who is a Chelsea fan:

If they finalize the Fofana deal then they will let him leave. He is a young CB and has potential to be a top class defender. He can also play the 6 if need be. He needs big minutes but I don’t get letting him leave from Chelsea’s view. He would be our 4/5 CB in a back three

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Chalobah feels like an odd one. Is he better than Konsa and Chambers right now? If he is, fine, play him alongside Mings straight away. If he isn't, then is there any point? 

from what i've seen he's at least as good as konsa. with hause leaving though, all we care about is whether he's better than hause...which he is

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

The big issue is that he’s largely played in a back 3 

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, HalfTimePost said:

To be fair this shows he is in the highest percentiles for possession based football for Centre backs and is in the top 1% of taking on dribblers.

The rest of the stats show how dominant Liverpool can be that they simply aren't having to complete as many defensive actions as other teams.

Eh, not entirely. If you looked at Joel Matip's stats for example, they're much higher compared to Van Dijk's.

CB defensive stats are more indicative of their specific play style and role rather than how good they are. Some players have stats in the mold of van dijk, where they simply do not perform many defensive actions, but never fail when they are called to action. Hence being in the top 1% of taking on dribblers but having very low pressing, tackling and of course dribbles contested stats.

This is also the reason why that stat about Van Dijk never getting dribbled past gets mentioned about some time ago. He never contests dribbles, but the very few times he does he succeeds in doing so. If you see people start talking about about certain defenders never getting dribbled past too, I guarantee you its for the same reason.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

from what i've seen he's at least as good as konsa. with hause leaving though, all we care about is whether he's better than hause...which he is

Ok, but what's the point of the loan from his point of view. Or Chelsea's? He's being loaned because they want him to play and get better. I don't see why we'd bring him here if he's not nailed on to start. 

13 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Probably not. Tbh, I don't think any of the players we're being linked to are a clear improvement to what we currently have. Which is expected, we're not going to spend big money to replace our big money centre back that we literally just signed this summer and is coming back next year anyway so we're not going to get good players.

This is why I don't really see the point of going into the tranfer market again. Anyone we're going to get is at best going to just be a marginal improvement over what we already have so what's the point?