Summer Transfer Window 2022

Loxstock92

15 hours ago, CVByrne said:

Carlos has very high passing stats when compared to other CBs, it's the one thing the stats are there for. It's undeniable that he's statistically a very good ball playing CB, with number of passes, passes under pressure etc.. 

Fine if you don't think it's that important to the team at this time, but you undermine yourself by saying he's not a ball playing CB when it's abundantly clear he is. When posting things which are clearly not based on any facts or data you just undermine you opinions as a whole. 

Sorry, why is it abundantly clear it is? In his two performances this season, not once did he perform better than Chambers has when called upon. Carlos may well be the best centre half ever to play the game but we’ll probably never know. For now, Chambers is fine. A hugely underrated player by too many fans. 

Anyway, back to my original point, we desperately need another ball playing central midfielder. Until we get one of those and keep the ball better in the middle of the pitch, our defence will be overrun regardless of who plays at centre half.

Edited by Delphinho123
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Sorry, why is it abundantly clear it is? In his two performances this season, not once did he perform better than Chambers has when called upon. Carlos may well be the best centre half ever to play the game but we’ll probably never know. For now, Chambers is fine. A hugely underrated player by too many fans. 

Anyway, back to my original point, we desperately need another ball playing central midfielder. Until we get one of those and keep the ball better in the middle of the pitch, our defence will be overrun regardless of who plays at centre half.

Spot on that midfielder who can keep the ball and pass is vital for villa this year. Kamara looks quality but with mcginn and Ramsey giving the ball away we Will crumble.

Mcginn is petrified of the ball he gets it and panics.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Someone in the mold of Joao Moutinho would be perfect.

25 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Whilst I agree with you about Chambers ( I have been banging the drum about him being massively underrated and underappreciated for some time ). It is abundantly clear who the better all round CB is mate. ( IMO )

Carlos also has a successful and high level record to back this up, regardless of what we think he might have " shown " so far.

He was only two games in, and necessity of defending might have overtaken the need for him to play his natural game due to circumstances.

Even if you think the margin between the two is " fine " , fine margins at this level mean alot.

But yes, Chambers hasn't put a foot wrong since he has been here, and is very good with the ball, and can even support attacks well.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN

5 minutes ago, RicRic said:

Regardless of the injury to DC We still require a new CM , i hope the club dont think they’re getting away with that… play the smart route and bring a CB in as a loan option and buy a new CM

I am not sure what that means but the injury to Carlos will not change the thought process of whether a new CM is required or not. However, it will have a financial impact and the club need to make a decision whether they funds are available to replace Carlos (short term or long term) and invest further in other areas of the team

1 minute ago, Peter Griffin said:

I am not sure what that means but the injury to Carlos will not change the thought process of whether a new CM is required or not. However, it will have a financial impact and the club need to make a decision whether they funds are available to replace Carlos (short term or long term) and invest further in other areas of the team

Better midfield = less defending

4 minutes ago, duke313 said:

If the funds are only available for one either a new midfielder or a replacement for Carlos, then the midfield should take priority.

That is up to the club to decide. It is an opinion that a CM will add more to the team than a CB. If Gerrard et al believe a CB is more important they should buy a CB and if they believe a CM is more important they should buy a CM. I don't know which they think is more important but the transfers this window suggest they believe it is a CB as they spent 26m on a CB and didn't buy a CM. The management of the club will do what they believe is best for the club. 

Edited by Peter Griffin
Fixed a typo

3 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

That is up to the club to decide. It is an opinion that a CM will add more to the team than a CB. If Gerrard et al believe a CB is more important they should buy a CB and if they believe a CM is more important they should buy a CM. I don't know which they think is more important but the transfers this window suggest they believe it is a CB as they spent 26m on a CB and didn't buy a CM. The management of the club will do what they believe is best for the club. 

We signed Kamara?

8 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

What a pointless post.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, IrishVilla10 said:

Do we have a system 

It's one he stumbled into last season, and now seems to prefer. Until we're reverting to our backs to the wall 4321 gimmick, which is effective against the better sides.

4312 is bad to watch, won't win many games and doesn't get the best out of the players.

5 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

I know, I am considering him a full defensive midfield no 6 and the talk of a CM on here I am assuming we are referring to a more attacking midfield for a no8 role

He's still a midfielder though, and signing him and him alone does not address the glaring issues with the midfield.  As had already been pointed out, if we had better midfielders who can hold onto the ball we wouldn't need better defenders.  We looked far more defensively solid the season before last under Smith.  There's a reason for that... Grealish.  He could hold onto the ball, or win freekicks.

You could have Nesta and Cannavaro in defense and it wouldn't matter if the midfield isn't improved upon.