Summer Transfer Window 2022

Loxstock92

We've a good squad that any manager can work with in many formations. 4 3 3, 4 2 3 1, 3 5 2, 3 4 3. Lots

The issue is the team lacks experienced leaders in the pitch and that the attacking game isn't there. The role of the full backs and Midfield 3 might be what's not working. 

I think a lot of us feel if we had a bit more conservative full backs and allowed Midfielders get more involved in attack we might do better. 

That could be as a 4 2 3 1 or a 4 3 3 where the 8s get into the forward lines the way City do. I know the ultra attacking full backs is what an elite team like Liverpool can do. Maybe it doesn't work with a mid table side.

We have the players to do better than we have

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Xela said:

Thats a risk you take when you change managers. The alternative is never to change the manager. 

Its why we were supposed to have a style when Smith was replaced by a similar style manager and then the player turnover is at a minimum

Going from widemen to a manager who doesnt want widemen was baffling

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Its why we were supposed to have a style when Smith was replaced by a similar style manager and then the player turnover is at a minimum

Yep, hiring a manager who's CV was far below what we could have got was also baffling.

I honestly think if Smith was still here with the same players brought in we would have got more points and had more enjoyment from watching the team.

• Like 2

Gallagher basically got no mins yesterday, will be interesting to see what happens against Spurs. I think he'll want to move if he's not getting game time. I hope Chelsea sign De Jong too. Gallagher is a big lad and he would improve our midfield

Just now, CVByrne said:

Gallagher basically got no mins yesterday, will be interesting to see what happens against Spurs. I think he'll want to move if he's not getting game time. I hope Chelsea sign De Jong too. Gallagher is a big lad and he would improve our midfield

Signing De Jong would be pointless for them as they've got Carney who will play every minute

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

A new 8 a new striker and new 6 none of it will make any diffference. It’s a style of play we need more than anything right now, some system that suits the players and fills them with belief. 

I have the same concerns as everyone but I genuinely hope Gerrard finds that system. I hate constant chopping and changing of managers, it never helps you progress. Just go from one rebuild, one transition season to another. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, villaglint said:

A new 8 a new striker and new 6 none of it will make any diffference. It’s a style of play we need more than anything right now, some system that suits the players and fills them with belief. 

I have the same concerns as everyone but I genuinely hope Gerrard finds that system. I hate constant chopping and changing of managers, it never helps you progress. Just go from one rebuild, one transition season to another. 

We need to exploit the ability Gerrard has to attract very good players.

Even if we replace the manager in 10 games time we will still be stuck with bang average options in CM. Bring in Jonathan David and Conor Gallagher and our squad will be excellent and we would have plenty of manager's wanting the job if Gerrard were sacked.

I wouldn’t buy anyone else this summer and there’s a good chance that Gerrard won’t be here in 3 months time. 

The new manager will want his own players and the funds for that, and some of Gerrards players will end up surplus to requirement. 

The squad is good enough for a tactically astute manager to finish say 9th.

• Like 1

If I was the owners I would not allow Gerrard to spend another pound until he starts getting a tune out of the players at his disposal. With a short 3 months before the WC and the January transfer window if I was the owners I'd hold fire with the spending.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, CVByrne said:

I can't see Gallagher being dropped in as 8 personally and working. Palace gave him a free role to get into box infront of two hardworking DMs.

Of course we could do the same here but that would just mean Buendia getting even less minutes.

We just need a top class 8 but transfer window after window the club just fudges the issue and McGinn being made captain means there's a remote chance we're signing anyone in that position soon.

We really don't need to stockpile yet another attacking midfielder as we've got loads already.

Tielemans would be amazing signing but I assume he's just going to go on a free from Leicester now end of the season.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Zatman said:

I am tending to agree with you now.  If after all this time we still have no identity and resort to banging in hopeful crosses then its not right. After watching the way Brighton played against Man U I wonder if Potter would have done better withy this group pf players.