Summer Transfer Window 2022

Loxstock92

7 minutes ago, paul514 said:

if we are going to replace one of our two first choice strikers then it needs to be as sure a thing as possible.

I’m not convinced on Kean at all.  

That being said if it’s a loan he may not be a replacement of one of our two strikers, he might be added to and see if he can earn his move to us.  

No reason we can’t have three strikers on the books.  

Davis can be sold or loaned out, Archer loaned out and then let Ings, Watkins and Kean fight it out for the one or two positions in the team.  

With a loan we’ve got nothing to lose and the upside of a buy option.  

Can we afford to have three strikers on the books for one season…no reason we can’t.  

If he flops then we send him back.  If he works out we’ve got a bargain.  

If there is no magic no. 9 we can get then a rough diamond on loan with an option to buy isn’t a back option is it?!

If we aren’t after anybody else, it’s better than nothing and keeps the competition upfront which to be honest is a little stale at the moment.  I wouldn’t be hopeful that Kean turns into a gem but nothing to lose if his wages aren’t scandalous 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, burchy said:

How about Luis Muriel at Atalanta as a short term fix up front, always seemed to be pretty clinical. 31 now but still hugely talented. 

I prefer Zapata before his injury but Muriel is good but doesn't play 90 minutes more an impact sub.

I think Juventus want him so we probably have no chance

10 hours ago, MaVilla said:

i would be surprised tbh, if our transfer business was done.

Considering the spending of some of the other teams so far, our net spend over the last 2 seasons is roughly £30m (roughly even net spend in 21/22, currently a net spend of 30m in 22/23).

That kind of net spend doesnt scream "lets challenge for the top 7" to me, although granted that in the two years before that, we had a net spend of something like £230m +.

Although, we do need to offload 3-5 players, our squad is pretty bloated with poor/bang average fringe players.

So net spend of £260m in 4 seasons since NSWE took over Villa?  That's pretry impressive for where we currently are. 

Need to add a few more tens of millions onto our income before we spend a lot more on transfer fees.

10 hours ago, MaVilla said:

i would be surprised tbh, if our transfer business was done.

Considering the spending of some of the other teams so far, our net spend over the last 2 seasons is roughly £30m (roughly even net spend in 21/22, currently a net spend of 30m in 22/23).

That kind of net spend doesnt scream "lets challenge for the top 7" to me, although granted that in the two years before that, we had a net spend of something like £230m +.

Although, we do need to offload 3-5 players, our squad is pretty bloated with poor/bang average fringe players.

I think that's it. We need to clear a few out before we buy again IMO. There are no glaring holes in the squad, but there are opportunities to upgrade if we can free up some space.

2 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Ash will play every game in every position at least once. So minimum 11 games. 

Gerrard has his favourites remember !

But on a serious note and back on topic. I reckon one more incoming midfielder. 

Outgoing expect Guilbert, Traore, AEG and maybe Sanson depending on if we get a new midfield in or not.

I would like to see Sanson stay as a squad player but I would like to see Doug, Hause and Davis make an exit this summer along with Guilbert, Traore and AEG

11 hours ago, MWARLEY2 said:

Its the salaries that are stopping us spending loads more i think.  We are paying big wages for key players.  Our problem is our commercial income is still not great. 

You are right, but really commercial income depends in part on success. 

I think the cups might be fairly important for us this year. 

12 hours ago, TomC said:

LOL, never noticed that before.

This is completely absurd to me. No offense, I appreciate this is a football forum first of all, but as I’ve been on here mainly for the off topic section for years, I tend to forget that. 

3 minutes ago, El Zen said:

This is completely absurd to me. No offense, I appreciate this is a football forum first of all, but as I’ve been on here mainly for the off topic section for years, I tend to forget that. 

THIS is completely absurd to me.

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

I think one more midfielder to provide competition to Kamara and Doug and to be ready to replace Doug next summer.

It would be poor business if we lose Doug next summer on a free, it wouldn't surprise me if we accepted a low ball offer close to or on deadline day e.g. 10m and had a replacement lined up. We may have an exciting last day after all :)

2 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

It would be poor business if we lose Doug next summer on a free, it wouldn't surprise me if we accepted a low ball offer close to or on deadline day e.g. 10m and had a replacement lined up. We may have an exciting last day after all :)

His girlfriend just signed a new deal, he isnt going anywhere and will leave for a free next summer

People keep going on about signing another midfielder, why don't we try sanson out for a longer period than one game he has all the attributes for possesion based football.The guy was well sort after when he joined us and had very good stats. I agree sign players to strengthen but dismissing a player without a fair crack is beyond insane.

Talk about must be a problem when training, disruptive etc I want to see what happens on the pitch match days, I couldn't care less who trains better than others the training pitch dosnt give you 3 points it's match day that does mcginn applauded for how hard he trains yet he can't pass or retain the ball a prime example of how false the reports from training ground can be.At this precise moment I think we can get by until January keep our  powder dry and see where we are then, the squad we have is a very decent one Gerrard now needs to get a tune put of it the excuses will not wash with me this season.

Edited by villan501

Just now, Zatman said:

His girlfriend just signed a new deal, he isnt going anywhere and will leave for a free next summer

I doubt his girlfriend's contract will deter a club from putting in a bid. If we get a suitable bid this window I am sure Doug will leave. I suspect he may be able to find a new girlfriend in Rome if necessary.

1 minute ago, villan501 said:

People keep going on about signing another midfielder, why don't we try sanson out for a longer period than one game he has all the attributes for.possesion based football.

The guy was well sort after when he joined us and had very good stats. I agree sign players to strengthen but dismissing a player without a fair crack is beyond insane.

Talk.about must be a problem when training, disruptive etc I want to see what happens on the pitch match days, I couldn't care less who trains better than others the training pitch dosnt five you 3 points it's match day that does.

At this precise moment I think we can get by until January keep our  powder dry and see where we are then, the squad we have is a very decent one Gerrard now needs to get a tune put of it the excuses will not wash with me this season.

I would like to see another player come in that can play DM, if Kamara gets injured our team starts to look like last it has year's weaknesses very quickly

• Like 1

Just now, Peter Griffin said:

I would like to see another player come in that can play DM, if Kamara gets injured our team starts to look like last it has year's weaknesses very quickly

Injuries happen no getting away with it, sanson never played DM before ?

7 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

I doubt his girlfriend's contract will deter a club from putting in a bid. If we get a suitable bid this window I am sure Doug will leave. I suspect he may be able to find a new girlfriend in Rome if necessary.

It wont but it will probably stop him from leaving. Plus he can make a lot more money moving on a free next summer like Kamara did to us

5 minutes ago, villan501 said:

Injuries happen no getting away with it, sanson never played DM before ?

I know we can't foresee injuries but we can have backup in the event the occur. DM was a big weakness for us last year and if we lost Kamara I would be concerned it have the same impact on the team. I am not sure if Sanson has played DM before but just thinking, Chambers has played DM for Fulham and got their player of the season on the back of a season as DM so maybe we are covered

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Zatman said:

It wont but it will probably stop him from leaving. Plus he can make a lot more money moving on a free next summer like Kamara did to us

Girlfriends stopping players leaving is not something that happens very often, I can't see this as an issue. Furthermore, why would it prevent him leaving this summer and not prevent him leaving next summer when u expect him to leave? Yes, a player can make more money on a free but if the right club come in and we accept a low fee then he would likely get a good sign on fee and he is going to be on high wages with the leverage that in 12 months time he can go elsewhere for more. There is also a huge element of risk running down a contract, a bad injury and it could backfire hugely.

• Like 1