Summer Transfer Window 2022

Loxstock92

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

Googled him

The scotsman today is saying we'll sign him, 2 days ago football Scotland had an article saying he'll reject rangers as utd and Liverpool are looking at him, the herald chucks in City too

40 goals at youth level this season, £300k compensation 

Never heard of him before your post but he sounds exciting 

Has he not been told that we are only interested in over aged, overpaid, Liverpool old boys?

Him and Kerr Smith were obviously signed without SG approval, not cool.

6 hours ago, VillaParkAvenue said:

Darwin Nunez, if Arsenal goes with someone else. Or Patrik Schick?

Newcastle want Nunez.

I mentioned Isak on here last week but apparently Barca are lining him up.

Does show how hard it is to get a relatively proven one in the 22-25 age range unless you scout very well.

Two years ago we were all wanting Piatek when he was sort of linked but his career has stalled since he struggled at AC Milan.

I've always quite liked the Austrian CF Kalajdzic, still at Stuttgart and had injury issues this season. Doubt he'll be on the radar of anyone major but think he'd be a good one to get, solid scoring record in Bundesliga and his style would suit the premier league and how Gerrard wants us to play.

32 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

Ever since we loaned  29 year old Coutinho the poor bloke has apparently aged about 5 years. Apart from Ashley Young, who are these 30+ old duffers who are filling our squad?

28 year old Digne needs to be pensioned off for a start.

To me it's only a major issue if our major signings are likes of Suarez and Wijanaldum as that would be very short term strategy.

8 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Newcastle want Nunez.

I mentioned Isak on here last week but apparently Barca are lining him up.

Does show how hard it is to get a relatively proven one in the 22-25 age range unless you scout very well.

Two years ago we were all wanting Piatek when he was sort of linked but his career has stalled since he struggled at AC Milan.

I've always quite liked the Austrian CF Kalajdzic, still at Stuttgart and had injury issues this season. Doubt he'll be on the radar of anyone major but think he'd be a good one to get, solid scoring record in Bundesliga and his style would suit the premier league and how Gerrard wants us to play.

How about Breel Embolo?  Looks good for Switzerland and Gladbach.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, duke313 said:

How about Breel Embolo?  Looks good for Switzerland and Gladbach.

We were linked with him years back weren't we? He had a couple of bad injuries and mid 20s now I guess. Market value perhaps 15m?

3 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

We were linked with him years back weren't we? He had a couple of bad injuries and mid 20s now I guess. Market value perhaps 15m?

£15m would probably be about right, not too expensive by todays standards (cheaper than Wesley ffs).  

1 hour ago, VillaChris said:

28 year old Digne needs to be pensioned off for a start.

To me it's only a major issue if our major signings are likes of Suarez and Wijanaldum as that would be very short term strategy.

If they successful short term additions while good accademy players develop then I can see the benefits. However if they don’t do well pretty quickly then they can become expensive flops stuck on the books with little resale value. Anyone got a crystal ball? 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

If they successful short term additions while good accademy players develop then I can see the benefits. However if they don’t do well pretty quickly then they can become expensive flops stuck on the books with little resale value. Anyone got a crystal ball? 

That's the thing, almost every signing is a gamble. If it works great, when it doesn't it's seen as a mistake and is very costly. I think we now have a sound and balanced transfer strategy that is working well for the most part.

• Like 1

Just now, Phil Silvers said:

That's the thing, almost every signing is a gamble. If it works great, when it doesn't it's seen as a mistake and is very costly. I think we now have a sound and balanced transfer strategy that is working well for the most part.

Yeah, I'm not particularly fussed.  If we did bring in Suarez and Wijnaldum they are coming towards the latter part of their careers and with all the youngsters we have coming through would allow them to be integrated well over the coming few years before being regulars in two or three years time.  That balance is great, that continuity is great and shows the kids a great succession plan if they continue performing in the junior teams and on loan that there will be a spot.  If we go and buy 24 and 25 year olds it means Carney and Archer will have less of a pathway to the first team.  So buying younger has pro and cons and buying older has pros and cons.  Also if it works then great but if it doesnt it's expensive.  We also have to appreciate the talents of Suarez and Wijnaldum we are unlikely to be able attract 26 year old versions of them at the moment, so getting them in now raises our profile and get those talents in although a little slower.  if it fails, it is expensive.  As you say, every signing is a gamble.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Yeah, I'm not particularly fussed.  If we did bring in Suarez and Wijnaldum they are coming towards the latter part of their careers and with all the youngsters we have coming through would allow them to be integrated well over the coming few years before being regulars in two or three years time.  That balance is great, that continuity is great and shows the kids a great succession plan if they continue performing in the junior teams and on loan that there will be a spot.  If we go and buy 24 and 25 year olds it means Carney and Archer will have less of a pathway to the first team.  So buying younger has pro and cons and buying older has pros and cons.  Also if it works then great but if it doesnt it's expensive.  We also have to appreciate the talents of Suarez and Wijnaldum we are unlikely to be able attract 26 year old versions of them at the moment, so getting them in now raises our profile and get those talents in although a little slower.  if it fails, it is expensive.  As you say, every signing is a gamble.

Good point Nick. I have no allegiance to any player any more after having my heart broken (not really, but u know what I mean) by Jack. We need to be at the right end of the table, big names attract big names and the big 24yr olds might come if we start finishing in Europe, it mightean some of the good kids get sold, it's just trading. The kids can make it though, JJ has shown them the way, if Carney wants it fast he needs to double his efforts at Bodymoor Heath and in his cameos, hope he does.

7 minutes ago, Phil Silvers said:

Good point Nick. I have no allegiance to any player any more after having my heart broken (not really, but u know what I mean) by Jack. We need to be at the right end of the table, big names attract big names and the big 24yr olds might come if we start finishing in Europe, it mightean some of the good kids get sold, it's just trading. The kids can make it though, JJ has shown them the way, if Carney wants it fast he needs to double his efforts at Bodymoor Heath and in his cameos, hope he does.

Yep this is me too.  I've lost the care about individual players after Jack, I only care about the team short, medium and long term.  It's all great people talking about long term with the youngsters but we need something now.  That now will benefit long term anyway because it will make us more attractive, earn more money, allow more games for kids to play first team football if we are Europe or go further in the cups.  Also as a fan, I want to go to Villa Park to watch the game and see something, not just think "ahh well it doesnt matter today, in two years time when Carney and Archer and co are playing it will be great" we go to see Villa win today, this weekend, next weekend as well.

If the kids are good enough they will come through like JJ did, like Jack did and if they arent they wont come through.  If the kids dont want to stay then so be it but banking on something in two/three years time just seems foolish.  The club are right, we need to develop for the future, we need to plan for the medium term and we need to act for the now.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Yep this is me too.  I've lost the care about individual players after Jack, I only care about the team short, medium and long term.  It's all great people talking about long term with the youngsters but we need something now.  That now will benefit long term anyway because it will make us more attractive, earn more money, allow more games for kids to play first team football if we are Europe or go further in the cups.  Also as a fan, I want to go to Villa Park to watch the game and see something, not just think "ahh well it doesnt matter today, in two years time when Carney and Archer and co are playing it will be great" we go to see Villa win today, this weekend, next weekend as well.

If the kids are good enough they will come through like JJ did, like Jack did and if they arent they wont come through.  If the kids dont want to stay then so be it but banking on something in two/three years time just seems foolish.  The club are right, we need to develop for the future, we need to plan for the medium term and we need to act for the now.

One thing I'd like to see though is when the 5 substitute rule starts and I read this suggestion on twitter, is that the extra 2 subs must be from the clubs academy for all the benefits and fairness it brings. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Spot on. Thank you.

• Thanks 1

On 27/03/2022 at 15:24, sne said:

€40m rated 30 yo CB starting every week for the Italian champions. I don't see this one happening :D 

He hasn't accepted a new deal and its expiring soon

On 24/03/2022 at 22:25, Delphinho123 said:

I think it is. 

Nobody is paying 12m for Davis and we'll be lucky to get a bag of peanuts for Trez, let alone 10m! Guilbert will be a decent acquisition for somebody but I can't see any mid table French team paying 8m for him. Bailey won't leave this Summer and we'd get 10m tops for Traore, who is mostly rubbish.

I actually think you've undersold Targett by a couple of million - I'd like to get 17m for him at least. 

Traore, is a highly skillful player.....just not effective in the team....for the want of a better term a show pony.

This has been a mistake we have made, many,many times, over recent years.

Edited by TRO

36 minutes ago, TRO said:

Traore, is a highly skillful player.....just not effective in th team....for the want of a better term a show pony.

This has been a mistake we have made, many,many times, over recent years.

I don't doubt it. I imagine he's a joy to watch on the training pitch and there are times in games where he can do the unthinkable. The goal against Albion being the best example - pure class. 
It still doesn't take away from the fact that he's poor for the most part and has awful decision making. 

Anyway, my opinion matters not one jot, it's Gerrard who'll run the rule and have the final say. In my opinion, he won't rate Traore and I think that will be reflected in the game time he gets. I think he'll be sold in the Summer along with Trez and El Ghazi. 

• Like 1