Summer Transfer Window 2022

Loxstock92

38 minutes ago, Xela said:

Good defender but not as good as he thinks he is. 

He'll probably end up at Newcastle as he seems driven by money. 

United could do worse than bring him into replace the fridge. Varane and Rudiger could be a decent partnership

on another note I only found last week his name is Antonio, I have been calling him Antoine for years :D 

Ok, while we’re picking up these wins and people are - currently - generally happy with the squad, where do people want to see the club prioritising/where do they think they will? Because I would guess some may be reconsidering the areas they would strengthen.

I’m assuming Coutinho being made permanent would be most people’s top priority. Similarly I guess getting Luiz on a longer contract wouldn’t be frowned upon.

There was talk of reinforcement up front. Watkins and Ings look more the part now. Archer coming through. I can’t see us dropping £30m on another striker.

Equally, the success of Chambers so far and the recent good form of Konsa and particularly Mings I think has dampened the need for another centre back.

There is of course the defensive midfielder role that has been sought after.

A right back to challenge Cash? Or is that Kessler’s role? 

I know there was some mention of players leaving, some possibly surprising ones. If that was the case they would need replacing. But I can’t quite see who that would be.

£30m on Coutinho and something similar on a more defensive minded midfielder? That’s assuming Nakamba doesn’t come back and play to his pre injury form.

2 hours ago, Mark Albrighton said:

Ok, while we’re picking up these wins and people are - currently - generally happy with the squad, where do people want to see the club prioritising/where do they think they will? Because I would guess some may be reconsidering the areas they would strengthen.

I’m assuming Coutinho being made permanent would be most people’s top priority. Similarly I guess getting Luiz on a longer contract wouldn’t be frowned upon.

There was talk of reinforcement up front. Watkins and Ings look more the part now. Archer coming through. I can’t see us dropping £30m on another striker.

Equally, the success of Chambers so far and the recent good form of Konsa and particularly Mings I think has dampened the need for another centre back.

There is of course the defensive midfielder role that has been sought after.

A right back to challenge Cash? Or is that Kessler’s role? 

I know there was some mention of players leaving, some possibly surprising ones. If that was the case they would need replacing. But I can’t quite see who that would be.

£30m on Coutinho and something similar on a more defensive minded midfielder? That’s assuming Nakamba doesn’t come back and play to his pre injury form.

I think Gerrard will want to improve the spine, CD, DM, CM, Striker. Not saying all will be signed, but if 1-2 are moved on he will try to sign upgrades. DM and Striker I think are definite’s, competition for Mings and maybe something different in the CM role.

Edited by QldVilla

5 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Linked with Kalvin Phillips again I see.

That would be the ultimate troll on Leeds if they get relegated and we sign him three years later.

Get the feeling where Declan Rice ends up will set the carousel of DMs this summer.

Phillips and Coutinho full time added to midfield and we can certainly challenge for europa next season even if we do minimal stuff in other areas. 

Look at our bench tonight, first time in nearly a decade we have serious depth beyond first 11 at top level.

I dont think rice will go anywhere personally, I simply don't think he's a £100m player, I don't think he's that good, definitely doesn't come with the marketability for that kind of price tag and I'm not sure thr market for a DMC is that high either added to I don't think the market for him will be particularly big either, maybe utd do something daft but I don't see 4 or 5 elite clubs chasing rice

Phillips on the other hand I think if Leeds go down and he's available for £40m there will be interest, maybe some surprising interest from a too team wanting him as a squad player too

What is a little worrying is, we've got the squad size for European football, but our squad is just that little bit too big for just the Premier League and cups. So do we keep the large squad and then maybe loan out a few players in January who might need game time? 

For example what if we had 5 injuries at one point to regular first team players next month. Losing Watkins, McGinn, Mings, Cash & Luiz. We then fill in with Buendia, Sanson, Young, Nakamba, Konsa. We don't lose a huge amount with the changes. We need that squad where players are getting game time. 

If Chuk and Luiz sign new deals. I think JJ has real pressure on him next season from Luiz for starting place. I think we can let Traore go on loan or a permanent deal. Especially if we add another CF to squad (Archer/Suarez). 

I think a new CB is needed and we let Hause go get regular football. Someone who can really compete with Mings would be great, Gomez is a right sided CB so if we signed him we'd likely sell Konsa. 

If we get Phillips/Bissouma we're looking very good in midfield. We need a LB under study for Digne. We have KKH/Chambers/Young as cover options for Cash at RB. 

I still feel the two 10s system will return especially against tough opposition. IF you swap say Ings for Buendia you get a player who comes deep more and would need the 8s to run beyond him as he links up play. So we need to have the right 7 players for our attacking places. 

I feel we need CDM and one other player who are coming to start majority of the games. What that second position is I don't know. 

• Like 1

It’s going to be a ridiculously fun Summer, transfer wise. We’re going to see big changes I feel and we’ll finally let go of the players that, unfortunately, are the reason we can’t quite cement ourselves as a top half/top 8 side. 

If we can finish the season strongly and secure the Coutinho deal early in the window, we’re going to have a lot of excitement. I can see a lot of permanent outgoings - Targett, Traore, Trezeguet, El Ghazi, Davis - along with perhaps Iroegbunam, Archer etc. getting loans to the Championship. On top of that, we may even see a couple of higher profile players leaving - Luiz, Sanson, Watkins/Ings - if the deal is right for us. That’s potentially £70m incoming and another £30-50m on top of that if we let someone like Watkins go.

We’re then going to strengthen by probably trying to sign 3 first team starters. A striker and a defensive midfielder are almost guaranteed to come in and I think we may then either go for another central midfielder or a centre half. 

We need to trim our squad this Summer but we all know NSWE will back Gerrard at the same time. Its going to be really exciting. Coutinho is key to everything. 

Edited by Delphinho123
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, villa4europe said:

I dont think rice will go anywhere personally, I simply don't think he's a £100m player, I don't think he's that good, definitely doesn't come with the marketability for that kind of price tag and I'm not sure thr market for a DMC is that high either added to I don't think the market for him will be particularly big either, maybe utd do something daft but I don't see 4 or 5 elite clubs chasing rice

Phillips on the other hand I think if Leeds go down and he's available for £40m there will be interest, maybe some surprising interest from a too team wanting him as a squad player too

Rice has just 12 months left on his deal in the summer although apparently GSB have one year option that they'll activate. Contract running down anyway and no real interest in extending it.

I always thought he'd end up at Chelsea given he's best mates with Mount but obviously very doubtful this summer with the mess they're now in.

You could easily see Man. United lobbing 60-70m as they do need a better DM in that midfield desperately. They've also been linked with Phillips aswell. 

Was going to say Arsenal will perhaps take a look but was down in Landan yesterday and Arsenal guy for Evening standard said they have an interest in all of Ruben Neves, Tielemans and Douglas Luiz so seems they're looking more for an 8 type.

In order of priority (according to me) CDM, CB, backup keeper, back up full backs.

Proper cdm to let us play a 4231 when needed, cb to compete with mings, others as we have no cover (assuming young is done after this season)

7 hours ago, maqroll said:

I bet they sell Bailey and Sanson. 

Hmmm, Sanson finally looks like he might be settling into the squad and be a useful player.

Bailey - a big question mark, but i think we'll sell Traore, Trez and El Ghazi rather than Bailey.

4 minutes ago, a m ole said:

we need all these players to compete in the cups and hopefully europe. For the love of McGrath please stop trying to sell them!

We don't need El Ghazi and Trezeguet. But we absolutely need to keep Traore, Bailey, Buendia as options alongside Coutinho, who we need to sign permanently.

The key areas for the summer are central midfield (probably 2 if Luiz won't sign a new deal), a backup LB if Targett is sold, and a backup RB if Kesler Hayden is going to stay out on loan again.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, jacketspuds said:

We don't need El Ghazi and Trezeguet. But we absolutely need to keep Traore, Bailey, Buendia as options alongside Coutinho, who we need to sign permanently.

The key areas for the summer are central midfield (probably 2 if Luiz won't sign a new deal), a backup LB if Targett is sold, and a backup RB if Kesler Hayden is going to stay out on loan again.

Yes, but they’re not in our squad atm so I don’t count them really.

• Like 1

Lb back up, I don't see hickey coming as a back up.

dcm starter is going to cost 30 to 40 million for the standard we need.

Then it depends on 2 players, big Phil and Luiz.

If they are both on new contracts I wouldn't see anyone else coming in.

Gk is one of the best so won't be upgrading

Right back cash and hayden have that covered - fred Gilbert will probs be sold for 5 to 8 million.

Centre half right - konsa and Chambers both still young and on new contracts

Centre half left - mings and hause , ok mings is getting on age wise a bit compared to most of the squad and hause isn't a regular starter but has just got a new contract.

Left back - digne and a back up

Dcm nakamba who isn't a regular starter since he's been here. A new 1st choice signing.

Cm mcginn, luiz, Ramsey, chuck, sanson, 

Attackers traore Bailey watkins, big phil, ings , emi b

Then you have the players who are youth so don't count as in the squad, there are possibly 3 or 4 who will be close or regular squad players next season.

So el ghazi, trez, young ( who may get an assistant job ) fred gilbert, the goalie we loaned back after 6 months of buying him, targett won't be here I guess. 

That brings an estimated 40 million incoming and wage reduction of 160k pw ? 

Money that could pay for big Phil to be permanent.

Another 33 mil for greasy Jack which goes towards the dcm.

We could end up with a neutral player outlay  next season, trimming the fringe players and for once not just giving them away. While improving 1 key position.

It also gives our best up and coming youth players the route into 1st team squad.

There is zero chance we will get Kalvin Phillips.  He was England's best player at the Euros.  Big 6 team will snap him up if they go down.  Only 26 and top reputation right now, can't see him moving to a team that's not in Europe.  

• Like 1

I don't think there's any position right now that I think is in desperate need of improvement but that hinges on the continued form of certain of players. I wanted a striker but if Ings and Watkins continue to perform, perhaps there's no need for a new one. I've stated my case before that I think our centrebacks are bang average but Mings has improved with Chambers alongside him. Midfield is perhaps the weakest position but Ramsey and Luiz are still young and have the potential to grow into the central midfielders we would need to truly challenge at the top half of the table and I've always liked Mcginn. Neither do I think we desperately need a "proper" DM like Bissouma although we could probably do with a more versatile improvement on Nakamba.

16 minutes ago, The Rosk said:

There is zero chance we will get Kalvin Phillips.  He was England's best player at the Euros.  Big 6 team will snap him up if they go down.  Only 26 and top reputation right now, can't see him moving to a team that's not in Europe.  

We'll just have to replace Chelsea in the 'Big 6' then.

23 hours ago, paul514 said:

With Abramovic being sanctioned there may be opportunities to buy players from them

I would think their agents will be quick to identify clubs, who have the wherewithal, to take them....us being one.