Summer Transfer Window 2022

Loxstock92

14 minutes ago, Jareth said:

That Ekitike fella might be back on the market - did his hamstring and NUFC looking at other options. 

I don't wish injury on any player but it would have been much funnier if he had waited a few days and did his hammy the day after signing for Toon. This is his 2nd hammy injury this year, clubs will avoid this guy until next summer now

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

I never said they did. 

Reading comprehension on this website is at an all time low. 

Haha multiple people have pulled you up but you still can't see it.

You said Chelsea/Arsenal would kill to have Ollie/Ings in their teams. When someone pointed out that they may not want them due to already having high profile strikes (and the ability to sign them) you asked "And how is that working out for them?". In response myself and others have pointed out that Ollie/Ings haven't "worked out" well for us therefore calling into question why these teams would "kill" for them as you said.

I am sorry that I had to do this.

• Confused 2

2 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

I don't wish injury on any player but it would have been much funnier if he had waited a few days and did his hammy the day after signing for Toon. This is his 2nd hammy injury this year, clubs will avoid this guy until next summer now

I feel for him but I do enjoy when things don't work out for the Toon. They signed Targett and this chap ain't going to work out.

1 minute ago, DaveAV1 said:

Whilst I agree the development of young players is important and is very much part of the project for the future. However the priority for the club and any manager, will always be the short term objective of winning football matches. Otherwise there is no medium or long term future, certainly not for the manager anyway. Getting the balance right is the difficult trick they are all trying to achieve. Winning matches will always be the number 1 objective or us the fans will be the first to complain.

Agreed. Looking at transfer activity since SG arrived the aim is for new signings to improve the first XI - where that’s possible (there’s no improving on Martinez & Chambers provides capable cover for two positions, but generally). 

If we go into the market for a striker it would logically be for an upgrade on Ings & Watkins - a difficult and expensive business. SG stated many times last season that our finishing wasn’t good enough so it seems likely he wants another option.  Point is, I don’t think he’ll be relying on Archer in any scenario, so no harm in letting him progress at PNE.

• Like 2

I would rather we played two 10's (emi2 and Coutinho) than two strikers. 

So I'm fine with us not bringing in another one.  If we want to mix it up and play two strikers,  we have the players and Archer as backup, but can revert to two 10s if we get injuries to one or even two of them. 

To get better than what we have I think we're looking at needing to spend over 60m, and even then it's not a guarantee. If you'd offered Ings to me last year I'd have said he is the most guaranteed goal scoredlr we could attract in the world in regards to the Premier league, and look how that transpired.

So when you look at the market of strikers worth over 60m...I imagine most of them are wanting European football. Arsenal will be after 1 if not 2 of them. And any that are tempted are likely to demand extortionate salaries.

I'll be amazed if we can pick up a striker that improves us, even if we did shift one of Ings or Watkins. I'm not against the idea, but don't see it being particularly achievable this window. 

2 minutes ago, Awol said:

Agreed. Looking at transfer activity since SG arrived the aim is for new signings to improve the first XI - where that’s possible (there’s no improving on Martinez & Chambers provides capable cover for two positions, but generally). 

If we go into the market for a striker it would logically be for an upgrade on Ings & Watkins - a difficult and expensive business. SG stated many times last season that our finishing wasn’t good enough so it seems likely he wants another option.  Point is, I don’t think he’ll be relying on Archer in any scenario, so no harm in letting him progress at PNE.

I agree but the problem is if we let Archer go on loan and either Ollie or Danny get injured we are very very light up front for a push for Europe

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Peter Griffin said:

I agree but the problem is if we let Archer go on loan and either Ollie or Danny get injured we are very very light up front for a push for Europe

True, which is why I think we’ll buy a new one this window 

5 minutes ago, Anything11 said:

Haha multiple people have pulled you up but you still can't see it.

You said Chelsea/Arsenal would kill to have Ollie/Ings in their teams. When someone pointed out that they may not want them due to already having high profile strikes (and the ability to sign them) you asked "And how is that working out for them?". In response myself and others have pointed out that Ollie/Ings haven't "worked out" well for us therefore calling into question why these teams would "kill" for them as you said.

I am sorry that I had to do this.

The difference being, we still own Ollie and Watkins, they're easily worth a lot of money.

Arsenal have lost both Auba and Lacazette..for a combined total of £0. So it hasn't worked out well for them, but can't say it's worked out badly for us so far. Yes, it could well have been better. 

They're in a far worse position than us,  and I'm sure they would rather have Ings or Watkins as their options now than just Nketiah and no money for the ones they just lost

12 hours ago, useless said:

Chukwuemeka is going to prove a lot of people very wrong, I just hope that it's with us.

Why do you say this? I think most of us have very high hopes for Chukie and the club clearly think he has massive potential. I'm not really sure who you think he will be proving wrong if he is a success?

He just needs game time. I think a similar pathway to Gallagher - a season on loan at a decent top half championship club and a season at a newly promoted PL club/bottom half club playing 30+ games (by which time he will still be only 20/21 would serve us and him really well.

10 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

I think SG will want to have a look at Archer and give him a run in preseason before deciding whether to keep him around or send him out on loan. This will delay a forward coming in until late in the window unless there is an opportunity too good for us to miss out on

• Like 3

Just now, barry'sboots said:

Why do you say this? I think most of us have very high hopes for Chukie and the club clearly think he has massive potential. I'm not really sure who you think he will be proving wrong if he is a success?

He just needs game time. I think a similar pathway to Gallagher - a season on loan at a decent top half championship club and a season at a newly promoted PL club/bottom half club playing 30+ games (by which time he will still be only 20/21 would serve us and him really well.

I agree, hopefully he signs a contract

35 minutes ago, Jareth said:

That Ekitike fella might be back on the market - did his hamstring and NUFC looking at other options. 

Apparently missed a quarter of last season with hamstring issues. No point risking it considering how Archer is doing.

Still think Isak could do a job. Would offer us something different as he’s 6’4, but also technically good as well.

Just now, Villa Stu said:

I think SG will want to have a look at Archer and give him a run in preseason before deciding whether to keep him around or send him out on loan. This will delay a forward coming in until late in the window unless there is an opportunity too good for us to miss out on

That's a fair point which I hadn't considered 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Peter Griffin said:

I was of the firm belief we need another striker this window, but the more i think about it the more I am coming to your way of thinking. I just can't see us being able to improve on what we have with the budget we are discussing. Unless we can get @RicRic in to the recruitment team and bring in Nunez for 40m

Id love to help however it was mentioned upwards of 40M plus which can go to any number… let me see if i can pull a few strings 😆

• Like 1

1 hour ago, zak said:

The question was: "If there is a striker that's clearly better than our current forwards, and would come to us, and cost 40m please inform the rest of us."

Nunez does not in anyway fit this criteria. He is clearly better than our current forwards but - 

He would not come to us, he's going to a top team

He's does not cost 40m, looks like he's going for around 100m

And i said striker of 40m PLUS … the key word being plus hope that helps 

Just now, RicRic said:

And i said striker of 40m PLUS … the key word being plus hope that helps 

Fair enough,  but you still haven't answered which striker in that range is coming to us? Nunez is not a valid response, he's off to Liverpool or a club of that ilk.

6 hours ago, Aston_Villan4 said:

How drunk are you?

Not drunk at all i stated 40M PLUS! … and nunez is 40M plus i didnt say dead on 40M …. I also didn’t say we could easily get that player… but who would have thought we would have coutinho either 🤷🏾‍♂️ Cant put anything or anyone above us …. I understand its most likely champions league teams in the mix but outside of nunez there are other players in that price range that would improve us massively in those areas…. Hope this clears this up for all!! 

57 minutes ago, Awol said:

He could do a job off the bench, but for his own development I’d rather he play a full season at PNE then really challenge for a starting spot next summer. Would be a shame for him to only get minutes here and there this season.

I could see him coming back and getting more than minutes but if he is loaned I would want to see him at a better championship side, overseas or at a bottom half PL side BUT he has to be getting regular game time.