Summer Transfer Window 2022

Loxstock92

2 hours ago, VillaParkAvenue said:

Speaking of Bissouma (as always), wasn’t it weird how Purslow talked about him after the Brighton game? About Bissouma being worth no more than 10m and how McGinn had him in his pocket etc. If Villa still plan to sign him this summer, it’s feels unusual for a ceo to talk like that before a deal.

Talking the price down? Good negotiators do this.

2 hours ago, CVByrne said:

I can see a significant overhaul of the playing staff this summer. 

CDM, CB, LB, GK all needed. Potentially a new CF.

I do feel a proper goal scorer is needed up top. 

Eh?

CDM I agree but the rest are we even looking at the same squad?

I mean we just spent £25m on a new LB for gods sake. 

If we do any business in the summer it will be a couple of very high quality upgrades only and a lot of that is dependant on whether we exercise the option on Coutinho. 

• Like 1

This isn’t Gerrard’s team it’s still Smiths so wouldn’t be surprised at all to see a massive turnover of players in the summer. 5-6 coming in with the same going out.

41 minutes ago, striker said:

This isn’t Gerrard’s team it’s still Smiths so wouldn’t be surprised at all to see a massive turnover of players in the summer. 5-6 coming in with the same going out.

I don’t expect a massive overhaul we have done that mistake in the past, the club will back Gerrard yes but I’d like to think there’s a structure in place that doesn’t require tearing up plans and starting again. Building on the foundations in place rather than starting fresh.

Edited by gwi1890

24 minutes ago, Zatman said:

But it should be neithers team. Thats not how our strategy was supposed to work. 

Its a failure of management to sanction such a large rebuild plus the owners will be very pissed. At most it should be 3 in 3 out

I agree with this. If we keep buying lots of players each summer, then the plan is not working. We won't ever get the consistancy needed to challenge for European qualification spots with so many changes each year. I would also think there needs to be a door left open for the Youth players to progress through, which won't happen if we stockpile players.

We do have a lot of scope to clear some deadwood this summer without having a detrimental effect on the squad. I think we will see a fair few of El Ghazi, Trezeguet, Traore, Conor, Kalinic leave, none of which will impact our squad too badly. We may see a surprise sale of one of Ings or Watkins I am not sure yet on that.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, CVByrne said:

I can see a significant overhaul of the playing staff this summer. 

CDM, CB, LB, GK all needed. Potentially a new CF.

I do feel a proper goal scorer is needed up top. 

We should only bring in players better than what we currently have. No chance we are bringing in a left back as we wont be having a 130k a week player on the bench 

58 minutes ago, Steero113 said:

Eh?

CDM I agree but the rest are we even looking at the same squad?

I mean we just spent £25m on a new LB for gods sake. 

If we do any business in the summer it will be a couple of very high quality upgrades only and a lot of that is dependant on whether we exercise the option on Coutinho. 

We have 1 LB and 1 GK. We need to sign cover in those positions. 

CB is needed to drive up the standards of the defence. Chambers is a utility cover player. Hause is 100% back up. We need someone in there who takes the place of Konsa or Mings or at least is there to push them out of the team. 

Just now, Zatman said:

We should only bring in players better than what we currently have. No chance we are bringing in a left back as we wont be having a 130k a week player on the bench 

I'd say we bring in a player like Hickie who can be better than who we have. Competition of LB and if Digne was out for 3 months we wouldn't struggle. That's the aim for LB.

While we need a permanent No2 GK as understudy to Martinez

I don’t buy into the idea that it’s a failure if we’re overhauling the squad.

We have to keep improving and if that means selling players like Luiz, McGinn and Watkins for a profit, then so be it. We also need to understand that players like Traore and El Ghazi were good enough to keep us in the division, not to push for Europe. 

There is no set or right way to achieve success. We have to keep improving and unfortunately, that means being very active in the transfer market. 

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

I'd say we bring in a player like Hickie who can be better than who we have. Competition of LB and if Digne was out for 3 months we wouldn't struggle. That's the aim for LB.

While we need a permanent No2 GK as understudy to Martinez

If Targett is sold sure. Not sure if Newcastle will be interested in the summer thou.

13 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

We have to keep improving and if that means selling players like Luiz, McGinn and Watkins for a profit, then so be it. We also need to understand that players like Traore and El Ghazi were good enough to keep us in the division, not to push for Europe. 

There is no set or right way to achieve success. We have to keep improving and unfortunately, that means being very active in the transfer market. 

If Watkins is sold for a profit that will be nearly 40 million. We will then need to buy a replacement in a very thin market

If we have somebody lined up perfect but selling for the sake of it is bad form 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Exactly, turnover of players is key for us in FFP. Targett out for say 20m and Digne in for 25m for example boosts our FFP position as the remaining player Amortisation of Targett is <10m and Digne appears as -5.5m per season. 

I think the issue will be attracting the players we need. Everyone needs a CF this summer so it'll be difficult for us to find one better than what we've got. 

33 minutes ago, sne said:

If Targett is sold sure. Not sure if Newcastle will be interested in the summer thou.

He's getting rave reviews there so I'd imagine they'll snap him up.

• Like 1

Just now, CVByrne said:

He's getting rave reviews there so I'd imagine they'll snap him up.

Hopefully (although I have nothing against him)

But is he someone they'd spend money on if they are aiming for top half or Europe? He is limited.

In reality thou it will take them years to establish as a top team if that's their aim so they will need players along the way. Just like us.

I think Targett would do better now in the revised system we are playing with the full backs not bombing forward as much. A bit ironic. 

I think Targett is a better defender than Digne. While Digne is a good set piece taker and better offensively. 

Edited by CVByrne

3 hours ago, striker said:

God I hope not! That's another season bedding in players before dismissing them as shit before they've had a real chance.

I won’t buy backup players. Youngsters should start covering as backup. We could upgarde on a starter and bench the former one. But to spend 20-25m for a backup player, we aren’t on that level yet. 

• Like 2