Summer Transfer Window 2022

Loxstock92

5 minutes ago, VillaParkAvenue said:

To me it makes sense to focus on what players have done the last year or two. Not what they’ve done historically.

For players who move abroad many seem to expect them to still be like they where when they left the country.

If Wijnaldum had played like he’s done at PSG but at a PL club instead, I don’t think we would be chasing him.

I would say Drinkwater has had a better season in his zero minutes for Chelsea than Wijnaldum at PSG this season 

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

Agreed. We have to hope Gerrard has the sway to say come here. You'll get a 4 year contract. Get Suarez in too. Get Gomez in. We have then added experience in the spine of the team.

Hickey and Phillips/Bissouma and we're finished. 

We would have created a core consisting of players Liverpool don’t really want, with the long term goal of competing with Liverpool in the league and CL. I can hear Klopp laughing already.

Sounds a lot like betting the house to transform us into Stevie G's Old Boys. 

I wonder what happens with these players that only want to be here because Gerrard swayed them if/when he moves on before the end of their contracts, and we're left with a bunch of old, high earners, whose motivation for being here has left.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, VillaParkAvenue said:

We would have created a core consisting of players Liverpool don’t really want, with the long term goal of competing with Liverpool in the league and CL. I can hear Klopp laughing already.

We can bring in Origi and Jordan Ibe as well. I expect Gerrard to take his mask off and reveal he is Eddie Howe

2 minutes ago, VillaParkAvenue said:

To be fair, anyone who thinks we're competing with the likes of Liverpool within the time of a typical footballer's contract has lost the plot.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

To be fair, anyone who thinks we're competing with the likes of Liverpool within the time of a typical footballer's contract has lost the plot.

No-one thinks we’ll be as good as them within five years but we will still have to compete with them. And even more so if the Champions League ambition still stands.

31 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Sounds a lot like betting the house to transform us into Stevie G's Old Boys. 

I wonder what happens with these players that only want to be here because Gerrard swayed them if/when he moves on before the end of their contracts, and we're left with a bunch of old, high earners, whose motivation for being here has left.

I actually think that signing a bunch of your mates is a road to ruin too. Especially when their ability to cover ground is quickly diminishing. None of them are as good as they were. Better to sign people on the upwards rather than downwards bit of the curve as a rule. 

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Dale said:

I actually think that signing a bunch of your mates is a road to ruin too. Especially when their ability to cover ground is quickly diminishing. None of them are as good as they were. Better to sign people on the upwards rather than downwards bit of the curve as a rule. 

Roy Keane signed about 5 ex United players st Sunderland. Didnt work out well 

I want more signings in line with Buendia and Cash. Taking a punt on someone from a lower team with technique and aggression. 

Not a huge fan of experienced signings as policy. We need experience so the Youngs nad Coutinhos make sense but ultimately we cant compete financially for the top level "experienced" pros so end up taking off track/broken/out of form players in the hope of resurrection. 

On the flip side Philips/Ward Prowse signings are perfect for the right price, unfortunately I dont think there is any chance of getting them now.

We went for Webster and Phillips (3 years ago) in the same summer and then next signed Watkins and Cash, I think this is the perfect policy. You know what, sign people from the championship, just do that it seems to make me happy. 

• Haha 2

Gerrard has said he wants players that can come in and improve the team straight away rather than players with potential or words to that effect, but that doesn't mean to say we're going to sign a bunch of old timers, players in their twenties can come and improve us right away, and guess what we will still be signing highly rated youngsters for the academy as well as some of the current academy players being promoted to the first team squad.

29 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

I’d be happy with just Coutinho, Phillips and Bissouma this Summer. 

It wouldn’t even be that expensive if you moved a bit of the deadwood on. 

Considering some of the alternatives mentioned that trio looks modest, cheap and also youthful.

32 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

I’d be happy with just Coutinho, Phillips and Bissouma this Summer. 

It wouldn’t even be that expensive if you moved a bit of the deadwood on. 

Yep, you’re probably looking at approx £120m in fees there.  However, move on Targett, Trez, El Ghazi, Sanson, Davis, as a minimum, then that’s 40m-50m back in.  Then a possible sale of Luiz, Chuk, or Ings?  Easily doable.

We actually have players in our squad with some value now, rather than releasing players for nothing just to reduce the wage bill. It’s really refreshing to see. 

• Like 2