Summer Transfer Window 2022

Loxstock92

Just now, duke313 said:

Gerrard isn't going to drop his new captain, despite what he says.

Not sure on that but I don’t think there’s anyone good enough in the Villa squad to replace him yet. That’s why I feel it’s imperative that Villa buy another quality midfielder before the window shuts.

Just now, striker said:

Not sure on that but I don’t think there’s anyone good enough in the Villa squad to replace him yet. That’s why I feel it’s imperative that Villa buy another quality midfielder before the window shuts.

but we arent going to buy a player to replace him since he just got named captain

image.thumb.png.687cceda9ebda7a484c9a6f4c80060f8.png

Read a snippet from this BBC Sport article all you guys having a go for complaining: Wolves - who have finished 7th, 7th, 13th and 10th since getting promoted (far better than we have achieved) - have their fans complaining from lack of activity despite now signing Collins, Guedes and Nunes. Those are three first team signings they have made since last season after finishing 10th (4 places higher than us) compared to us making two (Kamara and Carlos) and one of those is now injured for the season.

We have always been a bigger club than Wolves, yet their fans have higher expectations than us for some strange reason and demand more from their owners (who by the way have done an absolutely outstanding job over there) yet we get accused of being ungrateful for what the owners have done thus far this summer despite regressing last season by three places and so far having done very little to rectify that poor finish by not investing sufficiently in the playing squad. 

I'm sorry but that is just bullsh*t. We're all here to debate the club and I know you all hate negativity on here, but there's a clear distinction between negativity and reality and the reality is we are in for a poor season if we don't bring any more players in to improve the side. 

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

I mostly agree with that, it is a tough call though. However, before the transfer window opened it is clear that the people at Villa decided that a CB was the priority position, hence they spend 26m on one and not on a CM. To go and buy a CM now ahead of a CB would surely require them to reverse that decision. 

Surely they could just buy both given we've barely spent anything this window. 

Ramsey has been one of our best players since breaking into the team, he could have easily won player of year last season, he's comfortably been our best midfielder, he's more than good enough for where we're aiming to get to, if he was to leave to tomorrow it would be a club that are already where we're trying to get to that would sign him.

We could do with another No.8 to challenge him and McGinn, but he's the last player in our squad that needs replacing.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

Surely they could just buy both given we've barely spent anything this window. 

We don't know what our budget is and what money is available. It not just about this window, Purslow needs to ensure we have funds to invest in Jan and next summer and beyond. We have the last 3 seasons on amortisation costs on our accounts this season too and we have to adhere to FFP. We have also significantly increased our wage bill. On top of that, Purslows need to plan for new costs which are not expected to happen this season. For example, if we want to have the financial scope to sack Gerrard in Nov and get a new manager in that will cost a lot between paying off SG and backroom staff and paying for a new manager and his backroom staff. We could get lucky and get an unemployed manager e.g. Poch or we may have to pay compensation to another club. And if we get a new manager, he will want his own war chest for Jan and next summer. 

Edited by Peter Griffin
Fixed a typo

17 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

I mostly agree with that, it is a tough call though. However, before the transfer window opened it is clear that the people at Villa decided that a CB was the priority position, hence they spend 26m on one and not on a CM. To go and buy a CM now ahead of a CB would surely require them to reverse that decision. 

Yeah I get ya totally regarding the 26mil spent and now we have zero product due to injury.

Our midfield is weak we cannot retain ball and the passing of the so called skipper pathetic, he has hit his ceiling and shwoing weak in now he isn't upto it.

My description of the villa midfield is we have a potential rolls Royce in Kamara and then a basic player mcginn playing alongside him.

Us fans have seen our midfield overrun so many times inviting pressure on the defence, I'd like a double pivot 2 infront of the defence Kamara and Sanson, the latter cannot get alook in so therefore we need to someone to partner kamara.

A long shot could be play nakamba and kamara as a 2 with one from mcginn Luiz and Ramsey as the 3rd player.

Edited by villan501

2 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

We don't know what our budget is and what money is available. It not just about this window, Purslow needs to ensure we have funds to invest in Jan and next summer and beyond. We have the last 3 seasons on amortisation costs on our accounts this season too and we have to adhere to FFP. We have also significantly increased our wage bill. On top of that Purslow need to plan for new costs which are not expected to happen this season. For example, if we want to have the financial to sack Gerrard in Nov and get a new manager in that will cost a lot between paying off SG and backroom staff and paying for a new manager and his backroom staff. We could get lucky and get an unemployed manager e.g. Poch or we may have to pay compensation to another club. And if we get a new manager, he will want his own war chest for Jan and next summer. 

We were led to believe that Gerrard would be given a "war chest" this summer, and we were supposedly prepared to smash our transfer record to sign Kalvin Phillips a few months ago. So either that was complete crap or the funds are no longer available for Gerrard. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, villan501 said:

Yeah I get ya totally regarding the 26mil spent and now we have zero product due to injury.

Our midfield is weak we cannot retain ball and the passing fo the so called skipped pathetic, he has hit his ceiling and shwoing weak in now he isn't upto it.

My description of the villa midfield is we have a potential rolls Royce in Kamara and then a basic player mcginn playing alongside him.

Us fans have seen our midfield overrun so many times inviting pressure on the defence, I'd like a double pivot 2 infront of the defence Kamara and Sanson, the latter cannot get alook in so therefore we need to someone to partner kamara.

A long shot could be play nakamba and kamara as a 2 with one from mcginn Luiz and Ramsey as the 3rd player.

In an ideal world we would get both a CM and a CB but I expect we have some financial restrictions. It would be lovely if we could offload 5 or 6 fringe players and invest in 2 quality ones

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

image.thumb.png.687cceda9ebda7a484c9a6f4c80060f8.png

Read a snippet from this BBC Sport article all you guys having a go for complaining: Wolves - who have finished 7th, 7th, 13th and 10th since getting promoted (far better than we have achieved) - have their fans complaining from lack of activity despite now signing Collins, Guedes and Nunes. Those are three first team signings they have made since last season after finishing 10th (4 places higher than us) compared to us making two (Kamara and Carlos) and one of those is now injured for the season.

We have always been a bigger club than Wolves, yet their fans have higher expectations than us for some strange reason and demand more from their owners (who by the way have done an absolutely outstanding job over there) yet we get accused of being ungrateful for what the owners have done thus far this summer despite regressing last season by three places and so far having done very little to rectify that poor finish by not investing sufficiently in the playing squad. 

I'm sorry but that is just bullsh*t. We're all here to debate the club and I know you all hate negativity on here, but there's a clear distinction between negativity and reality and the reality is we are in for a poor season if we don't bring any more players in to improve the side. 

Some context for us vs Wolves, they had a decent squad upon their promotion in comparison to ours. They’ve been helped by Mendes, how many championship teams can you name that can pull a Neves signing off the way Wolves did. 

I think when they got promoted it was kind of expected that they’ll do well when they came up. When we came up we barely had players similar to Forest. 

With the Nunes deal, I think it’s taken Wolves a long time to convince him. A lot of reliable reporters mentioned that he was not that interested at the start of the window. I think he was hoping a top 6 team would get him. I think if anything with that info we have, it shows we need to be patient with things and just see how the window pans out. 

I like to be positive and optimistic but doesn’t mean I’m not aware of what is happening, I’m just not writing the summer off yet when we still have time to do something.

Just now, duke313 said:

We were led to believe that Gerrard would be given a "war chest" this summer, and we were supposedly prepared to smash our transfer record to sign Kalvin Phillips a few months ago. So either that was complete crap or the funds are no longer available for Gerrard. 

Who led us to believe that?

27 minutes ago, Made In Aston said:

Gerrard has said that we are after another midfield number 8 and has praised the owners for their support. I don't see how you have come to the conclusion that we aren't bringing anyone in and the money isn't there.

We can't just sign players without offloading others, as there is wages FFP to consider. That is probably the main reason why it has gone quiet rather than a lack of commitment from the owners. 

We keep hearing that but about half of the clubs in the league have bigger squads than us. Guilbert and Hause could be cut from the squad relatively easily as they cost us very little, could almost give them away for free like with Kalinic. Likewise with Steer who clearly won't play here. That would cut our squad to 24. El Ghazi similarly we could sell for cheap as he didn't cost much and has been here a while, or we could at least send him out on loan again. Traore, Sanson and Nakamba would be harder to sell but are decent squad options and with a squad of 23 we could easily buy another CM and CB. 

46 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Chelsea have bid for Gordon from Everton - 45 mill apparently, so it does appear they actually are building for the future, after signing Pogba junior.

That Saudi money is everywhere it seems :

And on Sunday, two of the Magpies owners - Amanda Staveley and Mehrdad Ghodoussi - were guests in an executive box at Stamford Bridge as the Blues took on Tottenham in the Premier League.

https://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/1655878/Chelsea-Todd-Boehly-Newcastle-Saudi-Public-Investment-Fund-PIF-Premier-League-football/amp

there’s some fishy going on.  My brother who’s an hard core barcode thinks so too - he’s mates with a couple of guys who work for agents. 

Even before the Carlos injury I felt we were two short now I feel like we’re 3 down. Great maths there by me.

3 minutes ago, duke313 said:

Didnt Gerrard also say something like wow and the fans will be impressed by the summer signings or maybe they were just targets :P  

1 minute ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

We keep hearing that but about half of the clubs in the league have bigger squads than us. Guilbert and Hause could be cut from the squad relatively easily as they cost us very little, could almost give them away for free like with Kalinic. Likewise with Steer who clearly won't play here. That would cut our squad to 24. El Ghazi similarly we could sell for cheap as he didn't cost much and has been here a while, or we could at least send him out on loan again. Traore, Sanson and Nakamba would be harder to sell but are decent squad options and with a squad of 23 we could easily buy another CM and CB. 

in FFP you cant just give players away for free or as little as possible

3 minutes ago, Rustibrooks said:

Some context for us vs Wolves, they had a decent squad upon their promotion in comparison to ours. They’ve been helped by Mendes, how many championship teams can you name that can pull a Neves signing off the way Wolves did. 

I think when they got promoted it was kind of expected that they’ll do well when they came up. When we came up we barely had players similar to Forest. 

With the Nunes deal, I think it’s taken Wolves a long time to convince him. A lot of reliable reporters mentioned that he was not that interested at the start of the window. I think he was hoping a top 6 team would get him. I think if anything with that info we have, it shows we need to be patient with things and just see how the window pans out. 

I like to be positive and optimistic but doesn’t mean I’m not aware of what is happening, I’m just not writing the summer off yet when we still have time to do something.

Yet you still had numpties phoning up Talksport saying how Mings was better than Van Dijk and how we were gonna finish 4th 😂

The point still remains though. We should at least have similar expectations to Wolves as a fanbase. We're almost a mystery as a club, we seem to still think we're this massive club because we had success over 100 years ago but when one of us starts calling out the club saying it needs to do more to catch teams above it we get accused of being unfair, disloyal or having too high expectations. 

We all want success, but there are many who just seem to want to bury their head in the sand and blindly follow the club despite red flags very clearly showing. Maybe they are satisfied with us doing absolutely nothing for 40 years since 1982, I don't know. I don't think being calm helps, because it allows the club to think it can continue with things as they are without taking any action and that will only screw us over further down the line when we have another disappointing season.