Summer Transfer Window 2022

Loxstock92

Just now, nick76 said:

We have talked about this before I disagree with this

I am not sure what u disagree with. It is on record what the club's ambitions are for this year. It is not my opinion it is information provided to us from the club

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, VillaParkAvenue said:

He was highly rated and Leicester had great hopes when they signed him last summer, but he turned out a huge flop. Don’t know why really.

I think he may have had a hard time adjusting to the country. I think he'll go back to France if he was to be sold in the next 2 weeks

35 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

How? We signed Coutinho for under the cost of Targett and got Kamara on a free, brought in the experience of Ludwigsson and Olsen. Made a huge profit on Carney. There’s still lots of time to add names. We’ve given new contracts to some our best youth and Diego Carlos was a major coup also. 

You’re better off ignoring these comments, will save you a lot of energy 

20 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

How much better are we than last year and do you think we'll finish in the top 10? 

I think we should be far better. The manager had a full preseason, brought in multiple targets of his choice, installed his preferred tactics and even got to name his own captain. That should be more than enough to leap frog teams like Palace, who lost probably their POTS in Gallagher or Brentford who have spent next to the nothing. We have had two less than stellar performances so far so now the window is a poor one. 

We aren't going to buy our way into Europe. We already tried that and it ended up with us in the Championship. It will take some cunning and guile for us to get there. I feel we have shown that in our transfer dealings. Securing Chambers and Boubacar on a free. Striking quickly when quality becomes availability (Digne).  Rolling the dice on a backup keeper (Martinez).

I think what we haven't seen is that same level of cunning from our manager. So many other managers in the PL are doing more with far less. Why can't ours?

2 minutes ago, Rustibrooks said:

I think he may have had a hard time adjusting to the country. I think he'll go back to France if he was to be sold in the next 2 weeks

I agree with that, but it does make me think that Leicester may have put in the hard work of getting the guy to England and by now it is reasonable to assume he is more used to England than when he just arrived. Could it be an opportunity to grab a player that has gone through the acclimatisation process and is ready to kick on? (yes a glass half full view 😀)

48 minutes ago, PeterSw said:

He's back! Linking us to I assume Caleta-Car. Usually fairly on the money..

Sorry to the mods but unable to copy link so had to screenshot

Screenshot_20220816-114920_Twitter.jpg

Don’t think I’ve ever seen anything from this account before, reliable in the past? 

2 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

I agree with that, but it does make me think that Leicester may have put in the hard work of getting the guy to England and by now it is reasonable to assume he is more used to England than when he just arrived. Could it be an opportunity to grab a player that has gone through the acclimatisation process and is ready to kick on? (yes a glass half full view 😀)

Oh that definitely could be the case (glass half full guy myself 😂), I do think he can kick on if he's given the chance. Mind you I don't watch Leicester much  so I don't know how he played.

15 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

I am not sure what u disagree with. It is on record what the club's ambitions are for this year. It is not my opinion it is information provided to us from the club

👍 🙄

Edited by nick76

3 minutes ago, Rightdm00 said:

I think we should be far better. The manager had a full preseason, brought in multiple targets of his choice, installed his preferred tactics and even got to name his own captain. That should be more than enough to leap frog teams like Palace, who lost probably their POTS in Gallagher or Brentford who have spent next to the nothing. We have had two less than stellar performances so far so now the window is a poor one. 

We aren't going to buy our way into Europe. We already tried that and it ended up with us in the Championship. It will take some cunning and guile for us to get there. I feel we have shown that in our transfer dealings. Securing Chambers and Boubacar on a free. Striking quickly when quality becomes availability (Digne).  Rolling the dice on a backup keeper (Martinez).

I think what we haven't seen is that same level of cunning from our manager. So many other managers in the PL are doing more with far less. Why can't ours?

I think that is the big debate question. We all know that SG is a rookie manager and learning to adapt to the PL, which is a different debate completely. But the fact that we have a rookie manager means we need to give him time to see if he learns enough and if he will be successful. This season will be huge for SG and his career. None of us know how it will work out. Some are convinced he will fail and some are unsure. The only way to find out is to give him enough scope to try and succeed. If he fails he will be fired. Our transfers will have a bearing on judging his success/failure as he has input into who we buy and he has responsibility to get them to play well. Carlos is. big blow, it will be interesting to see if Purslow supports him further in this window or if he thinks SG has had enough support and now is the time to prove your worth

4 hours ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

Owners seemed to have stopped spending. I don't believe for a second they are chasing 7th/top half or whatever other rubbish Purslow talks about. Just looking to stay up and avoid relegation as far as I can see.

Gerrard has said that we are after another midfield number 8 and has praised the owners for their support. I don't see how you have come to the conclusion that we aren't bringing anyone in and the money isn't there.

We can't just sign players without offloading others, as there is wages FFP to consider. That is probably the main reason why it has gone quiet rather than a lack of commitment from the owners. 

19 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Chelsea have bid for Gordon from Everton - 45 mill apparently, so it does appear they actually are building for the future, after signing Pogba junior.

What a ridiculous plan from a club with the supposedly best academy in the country!

If its a straight choice another quality midfielder or another CB the midfielder must be the priority we cannot keep the ball and this is the key to our season, control or have more control of games should put less pressure on the defence.

The 4 current fit CB should be good enough if the upgrade midfielder is purchased.

If villa prioritise the defence over  midfield we will be overrun and picked off because Luiz Ramsey and mcginn just aren't strong enough.

Edited by villan501
  • Like 3

28 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Maybe if we didnt have an undroppable captain and played the 2 better midfielders than him would be a start. 

I don’t think McGinn is undroppable in the same way Mings wasn’t. Neither Sanson, Ramsey, Marvellous, or Luiz are good enough to push Villa where they want to be. I’m not sure McGinn is either but we may see more of the McGinn that plays for Scotland with Kamara in the side now?

Midfield has been Villa’s Achilles heel for quite some time. Not the right balance or physicality but the addition of Kamara is a start in the right direction.

However, more quality in midfield is needed if Villa are serious about European qualification imo.

Edited by striker
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, striker said:

I don’t think McGinn is undroppable in the same way Mings wasn’t. Neither Sanson, Ramsey, Marvellous, or Luiz are good enough to push Villa where they want to be. I’m not sure McGinn is either but we may see more of the McGinn that plays for Scotland with Kamara in the side now?

Midfield has been Villa’s Achilles heel for quite some time. Not the right balance or physicality but the addition of Kamara is a start in the right direction.

However, more quality in midfield is needed.

Gerrard isn't going to drop his new captain, despite what he says.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, villan501 said:

If its a straight choice another quality midfielder or another CB the midfielder must be the priority we cannot keep the ball and this is the key to our season, control or have more control of games should put less pressure on the defence.

The 4 current fit CB should be good enough if the upgrade midfielder is purchased.

If villa prioritise the defence over  midfield we will be overrun and picked off.

I mostly agree with that, it is a tough call though. However, before the transfer window opened it is clear that the people at Villa decided that a CB was the priority position, hence they spend 26m on one and not on a CM. To go and buy a CM now ahead of a CB would surely require them to reverse that decision. 

Just now, Amsterdam_Neil_D said:

He wont sign a new deal so I think they had no choice.  45 M is nothing to Chelsea.

Im talking about Chelsea, they have dozens of top level youngsters coming through, why buy in these players for inflated fees?

(I understand chuck as its a good deal)

• Like 1