Summer Transfer Window 2022

Loxstock92

6 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

How? We signed Coutinho for under the cost of Targett and got Kamara on a free, brought in the experience of Ludwigsson and Olsen. Made a huge profit on Carney. There’s still lots of time to add names. We’ve given new contracts to some our best youth and Diego Carlos was a major coup also. 

How much better are we than last year and do you think we'll finish in the top 10? 

We tried to get Bentancur before Spurs gazumped us. We’ve been linked / made offered for Bissouma as long as @Delphinho123 has been campaigning for him until Spurs gazumped us. The reality it seems is we’ve tried to sign ultra high quality players. 

Doucoure Palace seems to be a player I think we’d love at Villa he was brilliant against Liverscum. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, PeterSw said:

He's back! Linking us to I assume Caleta-Car. Usually fairly on the money..

Sorry to the mods but unable to copy link so had to screenshot

Screenshot_20220816-114920_Twitter.jpg

Wonder if Sanson could be a part of this deal.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

I agree but a good offer for Mings would be extremely tempting from a financial perspective. He is only going down in value as each season passes from now on and he is still on our books with amortisation costs for the next 2 years. 25m now would be really positive for FFP and would give us greater scope to spend. It would be a ballsy move though

Absolutely. We complain that we struggle to sell players, but selling them at the right time makes it easier. Of course how and when they’re replaced is equally important. I’m sure we have an army of better informed people than you and me that are constantly toiling over the subject 

9 minutes ago, Rustibrooks said:

See I was going to make a post about our dealings vs others but 1) I’ve suddenly had a few meetings and 2) a few posters have kind of made my point without me having to show the signings.

What I will say is though we’ve spent near 400 million since our promotion, so this lack of investment thing is a joke in my opinion. Maybe you can make that assessment for this window yes, but look at our squad now compared to when we first had discussion about Europe/Top half.

Yes other teams have improved but honestly what did you expect from other teams? For them not spend at all? Wolves spent 30 million between two transfers last year (roughly) and this summer alone they are near 100 mil. From the outside looking in, it looks like they waited a bit for situations to arise to improve their team? Sounds a bit like what we are trying to do.

Also we get so down on our players and signings it’s unreal. Some people always find a fault in our owning dealings yet praise other teams without those said signings performing. I remember when we signed Cash and Wolves signed Semedo, some fans were up in arms before either of them played. Fast forward today Cash is the better player and for cheaper as well. 

Just let things pan out before getting all gloomy about stuff.

So what you're saying is that Wolves spent very little last season and had a relatively average season because of it. And are now trying to rectify that by bringing in quality players to the tune of £100m.  

1 hour ago, dukes said:

This thread is depressing, not for the lack of serious links to new players, but more so for the attitude of some of our fans.

How anyone can accuse the owners of a lack of investment is beyond me. 4 years ago we were practically bankrupt and now in 2022 we have signed Digne, Kamara, Coutinho, and Diego Carlos surely everyone can see that those signings simply wouldnt have been possible even under the last manager and we couldn't have even dreamt of them under the last owner.

This isn't football manager, signings take time, and theres lots of other teams after similar players. We basically now want a ball playing centre back, a number 8 and a centre forward....practically every team in the league would like to add those players.

Surely one thing we all should realise now is that with Villa there's hardly ever any speculation about actual signings because the club does everything under the radar. 

I think today we just have access to too much information (even if most is made up), i wonder how fans like @VillaFaninLondon and @nick76 would have coped when all we had was ceefax and teletext ?

I think you are mixing the discussion on owners investment overall their tenure or even their investment in everything like infrastructure, academy etc to investment in the first team squad.  We aren’t disrespecting the owners general investment, on the squad over four years or currently in the other club activities.  

We aren’t even disrespecting the owners on current squad expenditure, we are just not spending money or acquiring enough to achieve the goals the club seem to putting out there.  I repeat,  the ambitions the owners have expressed over the years which the fans then adopt.

The owners are magnificent and totally respect everything they have done and your assessment of fans like me seems to indicate we are unhappy with them which is so far from reality it’s unbelievable.

Not sure why you are explaining how football works, we all know that but that process doesn’t start when the transfer window opens it happens over long periods and only conclude in the transfer window.

Additionally have I asked for any speculation or articles? I have asked for players signed so I don’t know what the point of the ceefax and teletext comment is for…also I’m 45 years old, I lived through that era.  I don’t care much for speculation because things change and even hitches happen at the 11th hour, I just care when people have signed.

14 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

How? We signed Coutinho for under the cost of Targett and got Kamara on a free, brought in the experience of Ludwigsson and Olsen. Made a huge profit on Carney. There’s still lots of time to add names. We’ve given new contracts to some our best youth and Diego Carlos was a major coup also. 

Is that the same Coutinho that everyone wants dropped because of his poor form?

2 minutes ago, nick76 said:

we are just not spending money or acquiring enough to achieve the goals the club seem to putting out there.

From what has been published in the media the club disagree with you on that. They have said the aim this season is top half and a push for Europe. They have not said that this season's target is European qualification. The discourse across the different topics on VT is that we have a squad for top half. 

1 minute ago, duke313 said:

So what you're saying is that Wolves spent very little last season and had a relatively average season because of it. And are now trying to rectify that by bringing in quality players to the tune of £100m.  

Well I don't know if they deem it as average I'm not too sure what their fans expectations are, but more of the point they decided to go with what they had (not saying Villa are actually doing this right now) and added a little bit to their team and improved from the season before last from 13th to 10th. They could've finished higher up the table and were only 10th on goal difference. Now I don't know the reasons for them not spending much last season, but they can be seen as an example of their squad improving slightly without spending much. We'll have to rely on other factors if we weren't going to get another CM (coaching, playing progression, injury luck etc), but we still have 2 weeks left to see what happens. 

15 hours ago, VillaAlex said:

NDicka is playing Champions League football, he's not leaving that for us. Same with Kostic he was linked to West Ham but it was never happening, instead it's Juve.

Kamara was too good to turn down and had no fee so his wages could be balanced.

Our wage bill is the 7th highest in the league, players now are running down their contracts for bigger wages. If we sign a player with a year left they aren't going to compromise on that and we are paying a fee.

Well it’s certainly good to know that we have someone on site here that can read the minds of players and officials.

• Like 1

I dont have a problem with our transfer business, I have always felt our squad has been good enough they just need to be coached better and played in a better system to get the best out of them. Our owners seem to think the squad this time last season was top 8/European material and we have only added to it

Throwing money at the problem is not the solution, hard work on the training ground is

Edited by Zatman

3 minutes ago, Zatman said:

I dont have a problem with our transfer business, I have always felt our squad has been good enough they just need to be coached better and played in a better system to get the best out of them. Our owners seem to think the squad this time last season was top 8/European material and we have only added to it

Throwing money at the problem is not the solution, hard work on the training ground is

We're screwed then after Beale left, it's going to take Gerrard 20 years to be as good a coach as Beale according to him.

That's the thing, I would love us to sign another midfielder that is better than we got. However, there is a lot of risk at just throwing money to better our situation. Some of these guys that teams around us are getting, realistically aren't all going to be good. Some of them this time next year will be on the way out to another league that is not as strong as ours. Some of the players we got right now need to show more and this season I feel that it will be make or break for a few of our players.

14 minutes ago, jacketspuds said:

What about Boubakary Soumare from Leicester for CM? Seems a bit of a unit and looks a bit out of favour at the moment.

I thought he was highly rated.

He was highly rated and Leicester had great hopes when they signed him last summer, but he turned out a huge flop. Don’t know why really.

• Like 1

The Villa midfield has already shown over a season or two that it isn’t good enough to get into Europe. No amount of hard work on the training pitch with the same players is going to change that.

The addition of Kamara has been a good one yet that midfield needs to see further improvement via another quality midfielder before it’s anywhere good enough for a push past West Ham and so on.

Its not throwing money at the problem for the sake of it.

2 minutes ago, Rustibrooks said:

That's the thing, I would love us to sign another midfielder that is better than we got. However, there is a lot of risk at just throwing money to better our situation. Some of these guys that teams around us are getting, realistically aren't all going to be good. Some of them this time next year will be on the way out to another league that is not as strong as ours. Some of the players we got right now need to show more and this season I feel that it will be make or break for a few of our players.

Yep Fulham signed Seri a few years back and was lauded as the next best thing and now he signed for Hull, Lemina was another one or Imbula even Soumare last season hasnt pulled up many trees

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

From what has been published in the media the club disagree with you on that. They have said the aim this season is top half and a push for Europe. They have not said that this season's target is European qualification. The discourse across the different topics on VT is that we have a squad for top half. 

We have talked about this before I disagree with this

Just now, striker said:

The Villa midfield has already shown over a season or two that it isn’t good enough to get into Europe. No amount of hard work on the training pitch with the same players is going to change that.

The addition of Kamara has been a good one yet that midfield needs to see further improvement via another quality midfielder before it’s anywhere good enough for a push past West Ham and so on.

Its not throwing money at the problem for the sake of it.

Maybe if we didnt have an undroppable captain and played the 2 better midfielders than him would be a start.