Summer Transfer Window 2022

Loxstock92

16 minutes ago, jacketspuds said:

It feels like a lot of the panic in our team is caused by our CM's inability to keep the ball.

Having two attack minded players in a midfield three doesn’t work. Not enough patience, too many difficult high risk passes. They often try to play above their skill level.

Edited by VillaParkAvenue
  • Like 2

Really feel like we need a few signings to lift spirits, show our ambition/intent and become more competitive.

We’ve made a poor start, poor performances despite a “full/proper preseason”, don’t seem to have a defined/successful style of play, manager is not engendering any faith or belief and seems a bit wayward or unsure of himself - I don’t see a strategy or one that is properly being put in place… we look vulnerable and are not threatening/creating enough…

I really hope everything picks up and improves but I’m just being honest about my feelings and hope I am proved wrong…

Despite our last result, I just can’t feel any excitement or enthusiasm over the near future and am very much concerned that this could potentially be another wasted season…

The Carlos injury has put more of a dampener on things…

A couple of top signings would give us such a boost…

Come on Villa, let’s pick up the pace and take some positive action… this team needs strengthening… at least in midfield…

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Villaphan04 said:

I wish we were in a position to get players like Cesare Casadei 

15 million for a guy who has never played a senior game or even an under 21 game, not sure he has ever made the bench for Inter

He is older than Chuk. This is madness transfer

I think for me it our transfer business comes down to the McGinn conundrum. Gerrard makes him captain and pretty much undroppable. If we look back to our first starting lineup back in the PL, we only have 2 guys who are regular starters: McGinn and Mings. We have supposedly upgraded at every position outside of where Ginny plays. Since Gerrard has come in, Cash & Ramsey have really pushed on (and we have KKH), Coutinho came in (and we have Buendia), Kamara signed for CDM (plus Tim), Digne for LB,  and Chambers + Carlos (before this nasty injury) at CB. 

This, to me, makes it logical that striker and McGinn's spot are the next that we need to upgrade. but how can we upgrade the position of the player whom we just made captain. I think that if we sign someone and drop Ramsey, that might also send out another bad message for younger academy players that we won't have all the faith in them. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Zatman said:

15 million for a guy who has never played a senior game or even an under 21 game, not sure he has ever made the bench for Inter

He is older than Chuk. This is madness transfer

yeah -- I've seen a few clips of him and he looks a fantastic prospect but man. I assume because he is 19 that it counts towards ffp as that's older than academy age as well

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Peter Griffin said:

That doesn't make sense, otherwise they wouldn't have spent 26m on a new CB

Our healthy CBs are good enough to maintain mid table status, which is what they might be willing to accept now that Carlos is out long-term. 

• Like 1

I think when it comes to CBs we've three options.

1) Go into the market and sign a player we believe can improve the first team and also fill the role Carlos was intended to do in relation to press resistance and passing. Then we revisit our 5 CBs next summer and look to move one on (possibly loaning Konsa out even). Mings will have a year left so his situation would need to be looked at also.

2) Go into the market and sing a player on Loan. Ideally this should be a layer who can fill the role Carlos did and hopefully with WC coming there might be a player who needs game time at a top club. 

3) Keep Hause around until January as cover and then decide on a possible loan move depending on Carlos recovery at that point.

Either option 1 or 2 works if it's the right player. With Mings on 2Y left and Chambers on 1Y left next summer plus Konsa with 3 years left and we have an option for a further year. Not to mention Carlos to be assessed post recovery. We have various options available to us on a sale (Mings or Chambers) or loan/sale (Konsa) next summer which makes me believe the right CB signed full time this window is the best option for us.

I put the right type of CB signed this window as higher priority than another 8 with a physical presence.

4 hours ago, maqroll said:

Our healthy CBs are good enough to maintain mid table status, which is what they might be willing to accept now that Carlos is out long-term. 

For sure the targets are now lowered for the season having lost Carlos. All the pressure we've tried to take off Mings' shoulders no lies squarely back on them. I think Chambers lack of physical presence is what is holding him back getting a regular starting spot beside Mings. 

9 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

I think when it comes to CBs we've three options.

1) Go into the market and sign a player we believe can improve the first team and also fill the role Carlos was intended to do in relation to press resistance and passing. Then we revisit our 5 CBs next summer and look to move one on (possibly loaning Konsa out even). Mings will have a year left so his situation would need to be looked at also.

2) Go into the market and sing a player on Loan. Ideally this should be a layer who can fill the role Carlos did and hopefully with WC coming there might be a player who needs game time at a top club. 

3) Keep Hause around until January as cover and then decide on a possible loan move depending on Carlos recovery at that point.

Either option 1 or 2 works if it's the right player. With Mings on 2Y left and Chambers on 1Y left next summer plus Konsa with 3 years left and we have an option for a further year. Not to mention Carlos to be assessed post recovery. We have various options available to us on a sale (Mings or Chambers) or loan/sale (Konsa) next summer which makes me believe the right CB signed full time this window is the best option for us.

I put the right type of CB signed this window as higher priority than another 8 with a physical presence.

I was actually thinking loan with an option to buy, as it addresses both issues. There is more incentive for the player to perform and gives the club a chance to see if they are a good fit. Then, like you said, we can move on one of the others if the loan is a success. 

Edited by Made In Aston

2 minutes ago, Made In Aston said:

I was actually thinking loan with an option to buy, as it addresses both issues. There is more incentive for the player to perform and gives the club a chance to see if they are a good fit. Then, like you said, we can move on one of the others if the loan is a success. 

I think that is the most difficult one as any club loaning us a player know any option to buy is unlikely as we are only in the market due to an injury. 

3 minutes ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

Owners seemed to have stopped spending. I don't believe for a second they are chasing 7th/top half or whatever other rubbish Purslow talks about. Just looking to stay up and avoid relegation as far as I can see.

Considering peoples opinion of Gerrard, it rather looks like they are actually chasing relegation. 

All kidding aside, something is up. People don't really like when I pointed out that the owners are actually responsible for the appointment of the man they want out, and if he is as useless as people want to make out, we should be worried as to how they could let something like that slip.

That said, I don't really think we can assume they've stopped spending. Transfer deals aren't done in a vacuum, and good players are the target of many clubs. It's a limited pool. 

It also takes time, so I think we should be patient a bit longer, as most deals will probably go through in the last week of the window or thereabouts. 

10 minutes ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

Owners seemed to have stopped spending. I don't believe for a second they are chasing 7th/top half or whatever other rubbish Purslow talks about. Just looking to stay up and avoid relegation as far as I can see.

Yep, it's looking like this is the case.  I'd be surprised if anybody else comes in before the window closes.