Summer Transfer Window 2022

Loxstock92

On 10/08/2022 at 00:42, est1874 said:

Yep. I've said it before, we've gone through countless managers, coaches, DOFs, CEOs over the years. We were shit at set pieces so brought in a set piece coach. We weren't data-driven in our training so we brought in data analysts. We were mentality fragile so we brought in sports psychologists.

None of it seems to matter. We're still shit at football, still shit at the specific things that we brought in qualified specialized coaches and personnel to tackle. 

It's baffling how deeply-ingrained failure is in Aston Villa Football Club.

Interesting post seems like no matter what we do nothing changes I said before and say again we a mentally weake on and off the field. On the field there is no leadership , no tuff nuts who do dirty work we look like school boys off the field Purslow doesn't face the media enough or criticism or accountability for his job along with board.

4 minutes ago, paul514 said:

If you didn’t have to play to gerrards tactics/formation who would you bring in to sort out what’s going on?

You have 50 million 

a new manager, I would keep the money to hire a quality coach to improve what we have

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, paul514 said:

If you didn’t have to play to gerrards tactics/formation who would you bring in to sort out what’s going on?

You have 50 million 

unpopular choice :

Bruno Fernandes.

Premier league ready. I know he is a complete scumbag. This team needs one.

Edited by ciggiesnbeer

11 minutes ago, ciggiesnbeer said:

unpopular choice :

Bruno Fernandes.

Premier league ready. I know he is a complete scumbag. This team needs one.

he is also not very good now that his penalties have been taken away from him. United fans want him dropped before McFred for the next  game as he has been shit for the last year or so

Hudson-Odoi on loan

Sangare (assuming his new deal includes the same release)

Koopmeiners 🤡

Go to 4-2-3-1 and add McGinn/Nakamba to the assumed list of players available for sale.

Edited by paul514

21 minutes ago, paul514 said:

You have 50 million 

Thiago Alcantara is a midfielder I'd love to see giving his best for Villa.

I'm not really concerned with whether he would be an equitable proposition for us in an economic business sense. He wouldn't be if we are talking numbers of future sale value. If our business is football and being good at it, great at it even, then I'd be looking to work with Thiago any day.

What he offers on the ball, without it, and the commanding presence he has. Would give us quality in midfield that we don't possess at present. Not because of a lack of individual skill or talent. Regardless of the reason behind what we lack in this area, Thiago in my mind would be a very welcome addition to amend that, make us dynamic and allow our other players on the pitch to shine brighter than what we've seen thus far under Gerrard.

Always been a fan of his.

1 hour ago, ozvilla28 said:

Interesting post seems like no matter what we do nothing changes I said before and say again we a mentally weake on and off the field. On the field there is no leadership , no tuff nuts who do dirty work we look like school boys off the field Purslow doesn't face the media enough or criticism or accountability for his job along with board.

I think you have to add the fans to that too.

We’re far too quick to get on the players’ backs, yeah VP can be rocking when it’s a night time game and we’re playing well but a lot of the time the atmosphere is pretty shite, if we’re honest about it.

Not many people bothered to protest against McLeish, compare that to some of the other fan protests etc we see. Yeah we got a bit excited over signing Coutinho (at the time) but if, for example, Newcastle had signed him, every Geordie would be sporting a Coutinho shirt and the most popular newborn name would be Philippe.

The whole club has become somewhat apathetic, hopefully the north stand renovation will rejuvenate us all a bit.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

I think you have to add the fans to that too.

We’re far too quick to get on the players’ backs, yeah VP can be rocking when it’s a night time game and we’re playing well but a lot of the time the atmosphere is pretty shite, if we’re honest about it.

Not many people bothered to protest against McLeish, compare that to some of the other fan protests etc we see. Yeah we got a bit excited over signing Coutinho (at the time) but if, for example, Newcastle had signed him, every Geordie would be sporting a Coutinho shirt and the most popular newborn name would be Philippe.

The whole club has become somewhat apathetic, hopefully the north stand renovation will rejuvenate us all a bit.

Well in fact with everything else having changed, we are basically the only thing that has stayed the same 😬

• Like 2

I'm kinda at a loss what you'd look to improve, at the moment. If you think Gerrard's apparent approach is correct, the midfield isn't good enough. McGinn is the obvious figure to improve on there, he potentially can do the midfield box to box general thing Gerrard clearly wants, he just doesn't. But realistically I'm stumped who you get to do that job. You want someone like Soucek or Tielemans, neither of which is coming here. So you'd have to look abroad, but I've no idea who.

You'd also want to improve the front line. Coutinho on song is what Gerrard wants. He just is extremely inconsistent and when he's off it he's an empty shirt. Watkins isn't a reliable goalscorer and Ings hasn't found form and doesn't fit the style well, so you'd want to spend there. Bailey isn't quite what Gerrard will want, the Salah style compete forward, but has the attributes to do it, if he's fit, potentially (quick, skillful, decent shot, decent movement). Buendia doesn't fit at all, despite being the best attacking brain in the squad. Archer doesn't really count yet, and everyone else up top Gerrard would dump at the nearest bus stop for a Mars bar.

Defence is probably good enough on paper. Ideally if you really wanted to push up the table you'd splash cash on the fullbacks, but for that you'd be talking genuinely world class wingbacks which just isn't going to happen. And GK is fine.

Realistically none of that is going to happen so I'm kinda stumped. I think we can upgrade players in the squad, and need to given our ambitions, but I also kinda feel what's there now is massively underperforming because it's coached awfully.

The 2 positions that you can most clearly improve on are CM and striker. McGinn, as much as I love him, isn't good enough to be starting most games for a top 8 PL midfield. Neither Watkins nor Ings (currently) scores enough goals to be leading the line for a top 8 team. So you'd chuck the money there. But I don't think you can fill both of those positions with the right quality for the kind of outlay we're likely to spend.

In which case I'd say bin the manager, get a good one, and see what he reckons in January.

1 hour ago, paul514 said:

You have 50 million 

I'd give the $50 million to Antonio Conte and then I'd ask him who he wants me to sign. 😁