Summer Transfer Window 2022

Loxstock92

A few reasons to be concerned with our transfer policy:

• Low net spend the last 2 summers
  • Not investing in key positions to strengthen (e.g. CM)
  • Buying predominantly players in their late 20s since Gerrard came in (same thing happened under MON)
  • Failing to offload unwanted players (Trezeguet and Targett aside) 

I've praised the owners a lot but if they are going down the road of turning off the taps that will not be good for the club and reminds me a bit of the Lerner years. You'd think they haven't lost interest given the plans to increase Villa Park but if seasons tickets are going to sell out every summer at our new 50K+ ground then significant improvement will be needed on the pitch I'd have thought. Continuous investment is needed every year in this league just to stand still let alone progress to the positions we are aspiring to. 

4 minutes ago, ozvilla28 said:

There is a problem in our club somewhere we keep signing players and high profile players yet we cannot get the best out of them.

Losing mentality

Garbage coaching 

Inexperienced managers 

Constant churn or staff and players

Either that or that's all complete shit and everyone we sign is actually crap.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, ozvilla28 said:

There is a problem in our club somewhere we keep signing players and high profile players yet we cannot get the best out of them.

Yep. I've said it before, we've gone through countless managers, coaches, DOFs, CEOs over the years. We were shit at set pieces so brought in a set piece coach. We weren't data-driven in our training so we brought in data analysts. We were mentality fragile so we brought in sports psychologists.

None of it seems to matter. We're still shit at football, still shit at the specific things that we brought in qualified specialized coaches and personnel to tackle. 

It's baffling how deeply-ingrained failure is in Aston Villa Football Club.

Edited by est1874

2 minutes ago, est1874 said:

Yep. I've said it before, we've gone through countless managers, coaches, DOFs, CEOs over the years. We were shit at set piece coaches so brought in a set piece coach. We weren't data-driven in our training so we brought in data analysts. We were mentality fragile so we brought in sports psychologists.

None of it seems to matter. We're still shit at football, still shit at the specific things that we brought in qualified specialized coaches and personnel to tackle. 

*Cries 

I'm sort of here too, I've thought it for a while now...

Every now and again we think there is a fleeting chance of some success or progress.

We've been s*** since Brian Little in 1996...it is ingrained with Aston Villa. Other teams and supporters laugh at us and many of us are now realising it.

The top six are miles away and Villa cannot even beat the relegation favourites. Whilst we stagnate or regress others around us and above us strengthen making it even harder to bridge the gap.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, est1874 said:

Yep. I've said it before, we've gone through countless managers, coaches, DOFs, CEOs over the years. We were shit at set piece coaches so brought in a set piece coach. We weren't data-driven in our training so we brought in data analysts. We were mentality fragile so we brought in sports psychologists.

The club has up and downs like any other. Fans were happy in the MON and Smith eras as we had relative success. It might seem like doom and gloom now, but success will come again. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

A few reasons to be concerned with our transfer policy:

• Low net spend the last 2 summers
  • Not investing in key positions to strengthen (e.g. CM)
  • Buying predominantly players in their late 20s since Gerrard came in (same thing happened under MON)
  • Failing to offload unwanted players (Trezeguet and Targett aside) 

I've praised the owners a lot but if they are going down the road of turning off the taps that will not be good for the club and reminds me a bit of the Lerner years. You'd think they haven't lost interest given the plans to increase Villa Park but if seasons tickets are going to sell out every summer at our new 50K+ ground then significant improvement will be needed on the pitch I'd have thought. Continuous investment is needed every year in this league just to stand still let alone progress to the positions we are aspiring to. 

I think this is vastly unfair.

We moved quickly to sign one of the most highly rated young players in his position (Kamara), a successful European regular CB (Carlos), a good value experienced AM (Coutinho), as well as solid, inexpensive back ups (Olsen and Augustinsson). 

That follows one of the league's best left backs in January (Digne) and a smart free transfer (Chambers). 

There is no issue with the recruitment, it's what we are doing with them. 

I'd love to see another top level CM too, and indeed a striker, but we can't do everything in one summer, especially when we have such a big squad already. 

This is as far as you can get from the Lerner years. 

1 minute ago, Condimentalist said:

I think this is vastly unfair.

We moved quickly to sign one of the most highly rated young players in his position (Kamara), a successful European regular CB (Carlos), a good value experienced AM (Coutinho), as well as solid, inexpensive back ups (Olsen and Augustinsson). 

That follows one of the league's best left backs in January (Digne) and a smart free transfer (Chambers). 

There is no issue with the recruitment, it's what we are doing with them. 

I'd love to see another top level CM too, and indeed a striker, but we can't do everything in one summer, especially when we have such a big squad already. 

This is as far as you can get from the Lerner years. 

You was doing well until Digne, I’m still to be convinced he’s an upgrade on Targett. Atm I would say he isn’t. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, WHY said:

It looks like we were spending the Grealish money last summer after all…

What money did we spend the summer before? Lol

The Jedinak or Adomah money? The Kodjia money?

Come on man...

Our owners have been brilliant.

Can't throw our toys out the pram just because we don't always get what we want WHEN we want it.

Edit: What are people going to do if/when a time comes where due to redevelopment and expansion we have to massively scale back on transfers like Arsenal and Tottenham had to, temporarily for the greater good?

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, ozvilla28 said:

This is simple its called " Managers favourites" it's a pathetic way of management and the club should tell these managers with egos you need to manage not blow all the cash and then demand more when it don't work.

Edited by villan501

15 minutes ago, Galway Lion said:

Beginning to realise why previous managers and other fans call Villa fans fickle.We really do have a large percentage of entitled fans 

The reason why us fans you included gets frustrated is because Managers have utterly pathetic criteria for selection, it's like the saying when you try enter a party " your name is not on the list so your not coming in"

Smith had favourites and so does Gerrard, its about time these favourites were dropped like everyone else seems too.

Edited by villan501

9 minutes ago, Galway Lion said:

Beginning to realise why previous managers and other fans call Villa fans fickle.We really do have a large percentage of entitled fans 

It’s not just Villa who have a large percentage of entitled fans……

Leeds

Man Utd

Arsenal

I could go on……..you can talk to Baggie’s fans who think their club is well known for an attacking brand of football based on a couple of seasons in the late 70s

Or West Ham fans who think that they should only see a certain brand of pure passing football when their team plays.

All fans think they deserve a good team with a good style of play……it’s normal for a fan to think like this.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, WHY said:

You was doing well until Digne, I’m still to be convinced he’s an upgrade on Targett. Atm I would say he isn’t. 

I think he's a major upgrade on Targett - especially going forward where it is light and day. 

He's not as consistent as he might be but is comfortably good enough for us. 

6 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

What money did we spend the summer before? Lol

The Jedinak or Adomah money? The Kodjia money?

Come on man...

Our owners have been brilliant.

Can't throw our toys out the pram just because we don't always get what we want WHEN we want it.

Edit: What are people going to do if/when a time comes where due to redevelopment and expansion we have to massively scale back on transfers like Arsenal and Tottenham had to, temporarily for the greater good?

Not knocking the owners mate but you can’t expect to get European football without improving the first 11. The squad is decent but the first 11 isn’t that much better than it was 2 seasons ago, if at all.   Don’t forget the owners got the club for a ridiculous price and will get all their investment back and some more if they were to sell now. They have been great but we have also been good for them. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Condimentalist said:

I think he's a major upgrade on Targett - especially going forward where it is light and day. 

He's not as consistent as he might be but is comfortably good enough for us. 

Football is all about opinions mate but you’re watching a different player to me. 

• Like 1