Summer Transfer Window 2022

Loxstock92

23 minutes ago, AshVilla said:

He mostly plays RB whenever i've seen him for Chelsea recently.

I can see someone like Southampton signing him would be a typical move for them.

Has he? Not a perfect source but he's where Transfermarkt reckon he's played:

image.png.a6fe597b95c38c59f3121fa0d3e832fe.png

47 minutes ago, tomsky_11 said:

If the issues we have are in the final third, then a player with a very similar statistical profile to Grealish sounds pretty useful, no?

Nope. What stats are you looking at? When Grealish was here everything went through him. So it would mean us resorting back to playing everything through one man, but who isn’t anywhere near as good as what we had previously…. Would be a disaster. I don’t think our issues are final third anyway. 

49 minutes ago, tomsky_11 said:

Has he? Not a perfect source but he's where Transfermarkt reckon he's played:

image.png.a6fe597b95c38c59f3121fa0d3e832fe.png

I think he was normally played in the hybrid winger/full back role when Chelsea use a 3-4-3.

He was their 'RB' but it was a very different role. Tranfer market's stats probably don't account for that and class him as a RW as it's how Chelsea got width in that system.

A good left winger would mean we can play 4-2-3-1, 4-3-3, 4-1-4-1...

it means we have an absolute ton of midfielders for 2 spots as 6/8. Plus Buendia would always be on the bench with Coutinho starting as a central 10.

Would make us more balanced though, we could play a decent 4-2-3-1, but with McGinn as captain that makes the 2 Kamara and McGinn. Where Kamara and Luiz is probably better. Then we have Ramsey, Sanson, Tim, Kamara, McGinn and Luiz all competing for 2 places. 

We also would be in a situation where we have AEG as cover for the new LW and Traore as cover for Bailey. 

Be good to have more options and LW is a big hole in the squad at the mo, as grateful as I am for AEG's great contribution to get us where we are, he's not the answer at LW for me.

16 hours ago, Galway Lion said:

Highly unlikely he is on £250,000 a week at Villa. Don’t know where you get your information, Twitter maybe?

Best young player in france.  On a free, probably with a value close to 40-50m.  Blew Athletico out of water.  12m wouldn’t surprise me one bit.

On 07/08/2022 at 16:23, villa89 said:

He's too good for us. He would go to a CL club.

Not too good for us, wouldn’t say that at all … id say hes our level he actually hasnt been that great in all honesty of late

2 hours ago, tomsky_11 said:

If the issues we have are in the final third, then a player with a very similar statistical profile to Grealish sounds pretty useful, no?

But we generally believe the issues we have are in midfield and tactical.   Solve those issues and we should link better with attack and score more.

7 hours ago, Rustibrooks said:

Definitely a good player there, I think Tuchel's tactics have nullified the way he plays when I have watched him play for Chelsea. He'd be a good option for us if we want to play with width

lol

• Haha 2

19 minutes ago, HeyAnty said:

Best young player in france.  On a free, probably with a value close to 40-50m.  Blew Athletico out of water.  12m wouldn’t surprise me one bit.

They probably avoided giving him that kind of salary by paying him a large sign-on bonus instead. We won’t know how much, but that way his weekly wages was likely brought down to 120k or so and the wage structure was somewhat intact, while Kamara still gets his money.

If I was the owners I'd put a halt to all spending until the current manager choosing the players shows something. 

Gerrard is so so so lucky to be able to spend the money he has.

Zero chance he succeeds in his career if he fails here. Given everything, delivered nothing.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Tomaszk said:

If I was the owners I'd put a halt to all spending until the current manager choosing the players shows something. 

I was actually thinking this earlier. I felt this kinda happened with Deano last season. 

Probably not how they're thinking but I would certainly be having doubts if I was them at this point. 

3 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

Zero chance he succeeds in his career if he fails here. Given everything, delivered nothing.

Surely it’s not just him buying and signing the players though?! 

We should be strengthening regardless of manager? 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, The_Steve said:

We will continue to invest. No need to panic or worry about what other teams are doing. Do we halt investing if we beat Everton? Let’s be realistic about it. 

If we beat Everton with the 4-1-1-1-2-1 formation by chance then I'm not sure, certainly if we lose I don't think we will risk him bringing anyone else in, if there's doubts then surely we save the kitty for a potential new manager and a nice budget for the new man?

who knows we might change shape and smash Everton off the park, however with potential player fall outs now, it feels like it's heading to 'no way back' territory.

Edited by Villarcana

23 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Surely it’s not just him buying and signing the players though?! 

We should be strengthening regardless of manager? 

He's altered the transfer policy so been allowed to bring in a load of 29/30 year olds. What happens to them if Gerrard leaves? He ain't paying their wages.

Really hope Lange has a direct line to the owners. Purslow isn't to be trusted on this. Wouldn't be surprised if we hear he's been addressing the players telling them off for not playing well enough for Gerrard.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

He’s been given everything?

He’s only signed Digne, Coutinho, Kamara and Carlos as significant transfers and recouped a lot of that from targett and carney with more sales likely to come. The transfer fee we would probably get for Kamara alone would probably cover the rest. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, DakotaVilla said:

He’s been given everything?

He’s only signed Digne, Coutinho, Kamara and Carlos as significant transfers and recouped a lot of that from targett and carney with more sales likely to come. The transfer fee we would probably get for Kamara alone would probably cover the rest. 

Those four have put £100m onto the wage bill. Add that into the transfer fees. Outside Kamara, any return we get from those guys must be on the pitch. They must succeed quickly. Otherwise it's a waste of time.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, HalfTimePost said:

I agree, Gerrard needs to protect him though, his form will be up and down. Playing him whilst out of form and hauling him off at HT isn't protecting one of the league's youngest starting Midfielders.

It'll put undue focus on him by opposition players, our own fans and/or the media.... that can easily be avoided.

...Same for Konsa being played coming back from serious injury, whilst Chambers & Mings are in better form.

...Same for McGinn and being made captain, undroppable and playing 90mins whilst out of form for nearly a year.

...Same for Coutinho and starting every game, taking the flak because our best player is on the bench as a result.

There are some easy, obvious, clear actions the manager can take that he just isn't and whilst he needs to select what he thinks is his best team, he also has a squad to keep happy and motivated.

It really feels like all this is true and obvious to everyone. And yet, Gerrard manages to not see it. Surely he can't be that ignorant,  so what is he seeing that noone else is?