Summer Transfer Window 2022

Loxstock92

Just now, maqroll said:

He didn't want to stay. Getting 20m for him under the circumstances is unbelievable business. We'd only regret it if there was ever any real chance of signing him. 

Of which there was clearly none other wise he would have signed ages ago.

1 minute ago, Delphinho123 said:

I hope we can move Nakamba on too and sign another top central midfielder.

Slowly but surely, we’re improving the squad. 

You think they trust Tim as the sole backup to Kamara?

1 hour ago, maqroll said:

You think they trust Tim as the sole backup to Kamara?

I do. I mean I have no problem keeping Nakamba around should Gerrard wish, but I think if we assume we need two players per position as a basic rule in a squad of 25 with 3 goalkeepers, I think Tim is the backup defensive midfielder at this time…

35 minutes ago, DakotaVilla said:

Tim should be the first back up to Kamara. Gerrard has already spoken extremely highly of him. The new CM signing will be to replace McGinn’s starting position. Leaving Mcginn and ramsey to fight it out for the final spot. 

Doubt this is the plan when McGinn has just been made captain. Certainly I hope Ramsey, our brightest prospect since Grealish, doesn’t get shunted down the pecking order though. Agree with you on Tim being backup to Kamara but I would personally be surprised if another new midfielder comes in as an automatic starter. 

Edited by Adam2003

We’ve been strongly linked with Sangare and others so my personal view is that it is very much the plan.

I think it’s good for McGinn/Ramsey as well as will free whichever one is playing to focus more on supporting the attack, which is where their strengths lie.

Unless McGinn progresses significantly this season I suspect Ramsey will be starting ahead of him at some point. 

1 hour ago, DakotaVilla said:

Tim should be the first back up to Kamara. Gerrard has already spoken extremely highly of him. The new CM signing will be to replace McGinn’s starting position. Leaving Mcginn and ramsey to fight it out for the final spot. 

How can a midfield signing be to take McGinn’s pretty much guaranteed starting position if he has just been made captain?

regardless of what you or I may think it just isn’t going to happen this summer 

6 hours ago, Peter Griffin said:

They have a big funnel, it reduces risk, sensible business strategy. That doesn't mean that they don't have a very healthy flow of youth coming through that have hugely successful careers and either play for Chelsea or make Chelsea a lot of money

As a successful business model I would agree and I think it is something along those lines that we are aiming for. I’m not so sure they offer a very clear route to their first team though. Chelsea swap managers and therefore often players at the drop of a hat, at least they did under Roman. Tammy is an example of a player that to date has had a fairly decent career but not much of it has been playing in a Chelsea shirt. 

4 hours ago, paul514 said:

Doubt it but we could buy a player to compete with him

I think that’s the mindset that we need. Competition for places and not backup for a position. It’s increasingly becoming a squad game, for the likes of Man City it has been for years. They buy £100m players to strengthen their squad, although there’s an element of weakening other squads too. Either way the squad of 25 rather than the team of 11 is where most clubs are or at least aiming to be.

Players are the same as ever, they want to play every game, but slowly they are accepting that playing 30+ games is a full season. The managers of the top two clubs in the PL start bleating about fixture congestion and protecting their players by about mid September. Although annoyingly this never stops their clubs’ entering what ever the latest money spinning best team on the planet/galaxy/universe  competition is. So they can make even more money to give to even richer players and their agents. But that’s a different subject entirely. 

14 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Wed also have the option to drop Luiz back in there so yes

Wed you say? and it is a Wednesday. Is that a Freudian slip or am I reading much too much into this?

Edited by DaveAV1

I just don't see a midfielder we can sign who is a clear upgrade on Luiz, Sanson, McGinn, JJ. 

Sangare would be one but would he really come here instead of a Champions League club? Also that means we'd play two more defensive minded players and we don't play a double pivot and Sangare is used to playing in one. Sanson leaving and Sangare coming in would be a good trade.

I just think we will struggle to sign players better than Luiz/McGinn/JJ and the only reason we should sign another player is if they are like Kamara/Carlos and are better than the incumbent players.

I think we should keep Tim Iroegbunam around the squad like Archer and get him some time in cups and off the bench. We can assess the midfield next summer. 

36 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

I just don't see a midfielder we can sign who is a clear upgrade on Luiz, Sanson, McGinn, JJ. 

Sangare would be one but would he really come here instead of a Champions League club? Also that means we'd play two more defensive minded players and we don't play a double pivot and Sangare is used to playing in one. Sanson leaving and Sangare coming in would be a good trade.

I just think we will struggle to sign players better than Luiz/McGinn/JJ and the only reason we should sign another player is if they are like Kamara/Carlos and are better than the incumbent players.

I think we should keep Tim Iroegbunam around the squad like Archer and get him some time in cups and off the bench. We can assess the midfield next summer. 

Well we won’t achieve our key objective - top 7 - if we don’t upgrade on them that is for sure.

With respect I think you’re talking rubbish about us being incapable of upgrading on any of them. The Kamara signing proves we can bring better than what we have in but obviously these type of players want big wages.

I can think of numerous top midfielders who have gone to midtable, newly promoted, relegation-battling or even ambitious Championship teams - e.g. Tielemans to Leicester, Palhinha to Fulham, Soucek to West Ham, Guimaeres to Newcastle, and Neves to Wolves. 

I cannot stress enough, we NEED an upgrade in CM even more so than we need a striker. If we don’t we will continue to flounder in midtable. Luiz, Ramsey and McGinn are all great squad players and I think one of them can nail down a first team spot (probably Ramsey or Luiz rather than McGinn) but we need someone top class to bring the best out of one of them. Yes we need to move on a couple like Sanson and Nakamba but if we can’t sell then send them out on loan and invest, we’ve just brought in 40m in sales this summer FFS. Gerrard should know we need this more than anyone given he was a top CM himself.

Edited by VillaFaninLondon

43 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

I don’t get this.  

We are midtable club, there will be a fair few players that we could get to improve our midfield.  It will depend on what type of midfielder Gerrard wants and then if the deal makes sense.  

Players want to play in the PL for the quality of the league, the wages and many other reasons.  

There are of course upgrades on our midfield that we could get…we upgraded our left back recently, our central defence, our defensive midfield with quality players that could’ve chose to go to CL clubs instead but joined us.

• Like 4