Summer Transfer Window 2022

Loxstock92

3 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

Yeah, he may have the foresight to bring ElGhazi back into the first team. 😂

Yeah this new one, with El Ghazi all of a sudden needing to be in the squad, has got to be one of the most impressive attempts so far 🤣

Was also a pathetic decision to release Conor Hourihane, scored some massive goals for us, totally disrespected by current management 👀

50 minutes ago, KMitch said:

Personally, I'm very happy with our business this summer.  I don't rate his performance on the pitch so far, but Gerrard's strength seems to be pulling off coups in the transfer market and once again we've had a brilliant window.

• Coutinho - Signing him on a permanent deal at a fraction of his wages at Barca was a masterstroke
  • Olsen - Looked really solid in preseason compared to his appearances last season
  • Kamara - We beat off a lot of competition to sign the best CDM available in Europe this summer...  For free no less
  • Diego Carlos - Looks like a better version of Mings and the Prem will suit his playstyle better than La Liga
  • Augustinsson - Making a profit off of Targett and replacing him with a player better than him on paper for a fraction of the cost is more good business
  • Young - Played too big of a role last season, IMO, but with the expanded sub role and additional reinforcements to the squad, I'm happy to keep him around for another year

Everyone is crying about not signing anther CM and striker is forgetting we have a bunch of highly rated youngsters in both positions who will have extended minutes due to the additional subs allowed this season.  Ramsey, Carney, Timmy, & Archer will all be in the first team this season.  

Great post aside from the bold which I disagree with.

Not sure there's many good teams who would have been interested. The biggest thing he brings us is profile, bit like Gerrard.

Remains to be seen if it's a signing that will work on the pitch. Depriving the side of Buendia (not Coutinho's fault) is starting on a rather large net negative.

• Shocked 1

Just now, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Yeah this new one, with El Ghazi all of a sudden needing to be in the squad, has got to be one of the most impressive attempts so far 🤣

Was also a pathetic decision to release Conor Hourihane, scored some massive goals for us, totally disrespected by current management 👀

And Hourihane is still proving it, didn't he score against Oxford United in League 1 on Saturday. Wes scoring for Levante too. Trez sent to Turkey for peanuts. These guys could be ripping it up in the PL

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

They've been playing Trossard there a lot. Biffed a hat-trick yesterday and played really well back end of the season if you remember. Definitely not like for like, but they have a guy ready to go in and start immediately.

Very interested to see how they get on now Ashworth has moved on. Bringing in Cucurellas, Trossards is what we need to improve IMO.

I’m not sure on their Ratio of good to bad signings but I’m sure we’ve had this conversation before about Brighton being able to take risks on players more than Villa.  Less pressure and expectation. 

10 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I’m not sure on their Ratio of good to bad signings but I’m sure we’ve had this conversation before about Brighton being able to take risks on players more than Villa.  Less pressure and expectation. 

Yet we have only finished above them once in the league pyramid since 2016

5 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Yet we have only finished above them once in the league pyramid since 2016

Or put another way, in the 3 seasons since 2016 that we have both been in the PL they finished ahead of us twice and we finished ahead of them once.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

Or put another way, in the 3 seasons since 2016 that we have both been in the PL they finished ahead of us twice and we finished ahead of them once.

Yep, still don’t get what that has to do with pressure and expectation though. Burnley have finished above Villa and Leeds many times over the past 10 years. Bet the expectations of the fans (especially the entitled ones) is still less though. 

Just now, Vive_La_Villa said:

Yep, still don’t get what that has to do with pressure and expectation though. Burnley have finished above Villa and Leeds many times over the past 10 years. Bet the expectations of the fans (especially the entitled ones) is still less though. 

I agree, the expectation at Villa is extremely high and it doesn't give us much wiggle room whatsoever. This year is going to be particularly difficult for Gerrard and the team. We have had a decent pre season, much better than last year and we are in good shape for the upcoming campaign. Our fans expectations will put added pressure on the players and they won't want to give them time to bed in as a team. On top of that there is a large anti Gerrard faction that will be looking to jump on anything to try and highlight why is not the right man for Villa. So there will be a lot of extra unneeded pressure on the team and this place on match day will be caustic at times

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Currently I think it’s just miserable fans with a beef against the manager.. but if we finish below Brighton again this season then I admit there’s bigger issues. 

I don’t think Brighton will finish as high this year, so if we finish below Brighton I think gerrard will be long gone. The WC break should see a few managers sacked. It will be an ideal time to sack a manager given that he will have about 8 weeks without a game (or WC players) to work with the players on the training pitch. Normally managers go around the Oct international break but I think this will be pushed to the middle of Nov

2 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I'll have to disagree on that being the reason.

If we were aware of players of the level of Trossard...Cucurella...Mwepu for the cost they paid, we'd be buying them. Most clubs would be!

They are a bit scattergun, but their bigger misses are mostly offset by selling the ones that don't make it in the PL for OK fees.

27 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

I agree, the expectation at Villa is extremely high and it doesn't give us much wiggle room whatsoever. This year is going to be particularly difficult for Gerrard and the team. We have had a decent pre season, much better than last year and we are in good shape for the upcoming campaign. Our fans expectations will put added pressure on the players and they won't want to give them time to bed in as a team. On top of that there is a large anti Gerrard faction that will be looking to jump on anything to try and highlight why is not the right man for Villa. So there will be a lot of extra unneeded pressure on the team and this place on match day will be caustic at times

You mean a handful of people on Villatalk? 

• Like 1