Summer Transfer Window 2022

Loxstock92

1 hour ago, HalfTimePost said:

And then the next few we're going back a long time and then suddenly we're at Watkins. Buying a striker is bloody tough.

Berbatov £34 (Utd) - Hit

Torres £34m (Liverpool) - Hit

Dzeko £33m (City) - Hit

Rooney £33m (Utd) - Hit

Scamacca £32m (West Ham) - TBC

Lukaku £32m (Chelsea) - Miss?

Watkins £30m (Aston Villa) - Alleged Miss.

I'm not having it. I think he's been a very good buy for us. He's not going to win us the league and probably not get us to Top 6. Inthe comparisons to signings 17-15 years ago here. Yea not great value. But to the ones happening now, he's been more of a hit than a miss and decent value.

If we were to sell I reckon we’d get back roughly what we paid for him. I’d say he’s not a hit or a miss, for where we were at the time he’s been a decent signing (although we definitely overpaid) but for where we want to get to he isn’t good enough.

I see PSG have made all these surplus to requirements Thilo Kehrer, Georginio Wijnaldum, Ander Herrera, Idrissa Gueye, Layvin Kurzawa, Abdou Diallo, Leandro Paredes, Danilo Pereira, Junior Dina Ebimbe, Julian Draxler and Mauro Icardi

I’d def take Kehrer as he can play centre back and in midfield and probably Icardi as he’s a lot better than what we currently up front 

Edited by rbcuk

I’m glad we aren’t naive to be dragged into prolonged transfer deals we aren’t realistically going to pull off. Newcastle got lucky with Botman, given Milan’s pulling out. And their pursuit of a striker again shows their shortcomings. 

1 minute ago, rbcuk said:

I see PSG have made all these surplus to requirements Thilo Kehrer, Georginio Wijnaldum, Ander Herrera, Idrissa Gueye, Layvin Kurzawa, Abdou Diallo, Leandro Paredes, Danilo Pereira, Junior Dina Ebimbe, Julian Draxler and Mauro Icardi

I’d def take Kehrer as he can play centre back and in midfield and probably Icardi as he’s a lot better than what we currently up front 

That is some wage bill to be trying to offload

Weirdly enough if we hadn't signed Danny ings last year I would be suggesting that the ideal striker for us to buy would be Danny ings. He was supposed to be the boy to stick away the chances we created to make up for Ollie's inconsistency in front of goal. Think we need a big season from him cos he hasn't been great up to now

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, TheMelvillan said:

Weirdly enough if we hadn't signed Danny ings last year I would be suggesting that the ideal striker for us to buy would be Danny ings. He was supposed to be the boy to stick away the chances we created to make up for Ollie's inconsistency in front of goal. Think we need a big season from him cos he hasn't been great up to now

Indeed he was, he started well too.. trouble is we don't make a wealth of chances anymore. His and Ollie's misses both standout but we aren't making enough chances consistently.

We either need to start massively creating more chances (I'd suggest playing Buendia more often for that), or we need to find more goals from other players (maybe Bailey and Ramsey can save the day here).

Coutinho could be the answer to both in a 4231 with Bailey/Buendia either side of him. If he finds his form. He could also be the reason we don't use Bailey/Buendia if Gerrard persists with him in a 4321 and his form doesn't come back.

34 minutes ago, rbcuk said:

Paredes would be a good signing to add to our shithouse team but is off to Juventus

The reat no

12 minutes ago, TheMelvillan said:

A few weeks before we signed him the papers had him down as an ideal striker for a Champions League team. We are in for big things this year from Ings I hope. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

A few weeks before we signed him the papers had him down as an ideal striker for a Champions League team. We are in for big things this year from Ings I hope. 

I hope you’re right and I think he’ll start more games than Ollie. If we add another striker it could be an inside forward who could play with or instead of Ings. Someone like Mo Salah. That could well see Ollie departing. 

55 minutes ago, TheMelvillan said:

Weirdly enough if we hadn't signed Danny ings last year I would be suggesting that the ideal striker for us to buy would be Danny ings. He was supposed to be the boy to stick away the chances we created to make up for Ollie's inconsistency in front of goal

…which suggests to me it may be a bit more complicated than the “our strikers miss too many chances” line that’s currently doing the rounds 

Just now, Adam2003 said:

…which suggests to me it may be a bit more complicated than the “our strikers miss too many chances” line that’s currently doing the rounds 

I dont even think they do. Watkins for his faults creates most of his chances himself. Ings I think had an XG of below 7 last season

Just now, Zatman said:

I dont even think they do. Watkins for his faults creates most of his chances himself. Ings I think had an XG of below 7 last season

Oh you’re absolutely correct, it’s just the current line being trotted out as if someone magical striker will arrive and fix everything.

4 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Per 90 last season

Watkins: 0.37 xG
Ings: 0.35 xG

I think an elite striker will be next summer's big priority and the scouting team will be focusing on it throughout the season.

We may get another midfielder in if we can shift a few out but really I think that will be it - and if Doug starts the season well and signs a new deal then even that may not be necessary. 

7 hours ago, WallisFrizz said:

Steer should be counted (unless we’re not planning on registering him in the squad). Scottish players don’t count as home grown. HG relates to England and Wales. 

That’s bizarre