Summer Transfer Window 2022

Loxstock92

21 minutes ago, Zatman said:

That was our fault sending him to Everton when Rafa was clearly about to get sacked.

Maybe he was fine with going there, at the point nobody knew he wasn’t going to feature. We would’ve had an idea Rafa was going to get sacked yeah I get that, but we didn’t know Lampard would come in and basically not rate him at all. Nothing we could’ve done in that situation to be honest.

9 minutes ago, HalfTimePost said:

And then the next few we're going back a long time and then suddenly we're at Watkins. Buying a striker is bloody tough.

Berbatov £34 (Utd) - Hit

Torres £34m (Liverpool) - Hit

Dzeko £33m (City) - Hit

Rooney £33m (Utd) - Hit

Scamacca £32m (West Ham) - TBC

Lukaku £32m (Chelsea) - Miss?

Watkins £30m (Aston Villa) - Alleged Miss.

I'm not having it. I think he's been a very good buy for us. He's not going to win us the league and probably not get us to Top 6. Inthe comparisons to signings 17-15 years ago here. Yea not great value. But to the ones happening now, he's been more of a hit than a miss and decent value.

I’d say Ollie is probably a 7 out of 10 signing to date. That could go up or down this season. If I knew which way I’d be a rich man. 

Edited by DaveAV1

10 minutes ago, HalfTimePost said:

And then the next few we're going back a long time and then suddenly we're at Watkins. Buying a striker is bloody tough.

Berbatov £34 (Utd) - Hit

Torres £34m (Liverpool) - Hit

Dzeko £33m (City) - Hit

Rooney £33m (Utd) - Hit

Scamacca £32m (West Ham) - TBC

Lukaku £32m (Chelsea) - Miss?

Watkins £30m (Aston Villa) - Alleged Miss.

I'm not having it. I think he's been a very good buy for us. He's not going to win us the league and probably not get us to Top 6. Inthe comparisons to signings 17-15 years ago here. Yea not great value. But to the ones happening now, he's been more of a hit than a miss and decent value.

But your point seems to be stick with somebody whose been struggling last season and this preseason, seems to be regressing further unfortunately than try for another striker.  

We don’t know if last season was a one off or his good season was a one off, all we are seeing is him regressing and he’s really struggling at the moment.

You maybe right and hope it all turns around and first season Ollie comes back but at the same time we’ve invested heavily in other areas, strikers are for me one of the key positions in the team and our two are struggling.  

I’m not sure a reason for not going into the market is the list you have provided.  It’s certainly eye opening but we either trust Gerrard, Lange and the recruitment to get it right or we don’t.  The club want to progress, I’m not sure being scared of the market is a reason.  They have to back themselves in the decisions.

Edited by nick76

Just now, nick76 said:

But your point seems to be stick with somebody whose been struggling last season and this preseason, seems to be regressing further unfortunately than try for another striker.  

We don’t know if last season was a one off or his good season was a one off, all we are seeing is him regressing and he’s really struggling at the moment.

You maybe right and hope it all turns around and first season Ollie comes back but at the same time we’ve invested heavily in other areas, strikers are for me one of the key positions in the team and our two are struggling.  

I’m not sure a reason for not going into the market is the list you have provided.  It’s certainly eye opening but we either trust Gerrard, Lange and the recruitment to get it right or we don’t.  The club want to progress, I’m not sure being scared of the market is a reason.  They have to back themselves in the decisions.

My point is that binning a player after a tough season and jumping on him after every (Pre-Season!) Game, is ridiculous. Him and Ings are probably the best Strikers outside the Top 8. Daka maybe... But Leicester were well ahead of us now when they bought him and he hasn't set the league alight yet

As the above posts show, it's not easy to buy a striker. If there is someone out there we can buy who is better. Great. I'm all for it. But my point is it's not easily done and there is a severe lack of names offered up when Ollie gets slated.

So, when there isn't a standout choice, the club should do their job and find a plan to get them firing and the fans should do their job and support them.

45 minutes ago, RicRic said:

someone said it right gerrard sees the running around and energy and thats what gives players like mcginn the tip over the edge.

I really think a lot of fans have a strange view as to the quality of the professional footballing staff at AVFC. It is often said we are stupid at how we do transfers, negotiate deals, miss out on possible transfers, train our players and team selection. Now, I read that our manager is swayed in his selection of captain by a player running around and energy. Gerrard and the coaches understand football better than anyone on this forum. They have grown up in football and have decades of experience of professional football. They spend every working day with these players and they understand what motivates them and what their strengths and weaknesses are. They talk to these players every working day and they see them in training and they see how they interact with their colleagues. They alos understand how their colleagues view them. To suggest that Gerrard is tipped over the edge by running around and energy is a real insult to the professionalism at AVFC. 

• Like 4

Just now, Peter Griffin said:

It is often said we are stupid at how we do transfers, negotiate deals, miss out on possible transfers, train our players and team selection. 

Eh? 3-10 years ago maybe but I've seen nothing but praise for how the club do transfers, negotiate deals, some of the players we've secured Vs other clubs over the last year or two.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, HalfTimePost said:

Eh? 3-10 years ago maybe but I've seen nothing but praise for how the club do transfers, negotiate deals, some of the players we've secured Vs other clubs over the last year or two.

- We should have bought Alvarez in Jan

- We can't sell players

- We shouldn't sell Targett for 15m

- We shouldn't loan Targett to Toon

- The players SG is buying are too old

- Bomb squad 

etc

Edited by Peter Griffin
Fixed a typo

Just now, Peter Griffin said:

- We can't sell players

- We shouldn't loan Target to Toon

- Bomb squad 

etc

All valid points

5 minutes ago, Zatman said:

All valid points

All valid points to support my argument or all valid point of instances where the fans know better (and have a full understanding of the facts) than the management team at AVFC?

1 minute ago, Peter Griffin said:

All valid points to support my argument or all valid point of instances where the fans know better (and have a full understanding of the facts) than the management team at AVFC?

That the club have **** up many things recently

when it comes to those “valid points” they’re as valid as our limited information. We have no idea what goes on behind the scenes and the reasons or actions behind every decision or lack of one

Edited by CarryOnVilla
  • Like 2

We were never in for Alvarez - even if Emi tried to talk him into it, he was already set on City. This isn’t Heskey over Falcao. I get the impression that it was all speculation. We’ve all been hooked in before by certain journalists. 

Edited by The_Steve
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Zatman said:

That the club have **** up many things recently

The Alvarez transfer is the one I find most amusing. I love the naivety of believing we could have just signed Alvarez for 17m if we just acted more quickly in Jan. All media were covering that he was available, all media were reporting his goal scoring record and potential. To think that Man City weren't aware and hadn't been in contact with him is a joke. The discourse on here by some is that we messed up by delaying things and City saw what we were at and came in and snapped him up. 😂

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

- We can't sell players

- We shouldn't loan Targett to Toon

- Bomb squad 

etc

But nobody is saying we are awful at the things you said. We question things and there are certainly mistakes that have been made... But the list I highlighted from your post are all things we are good at.

FWIW. We should've signed Alvarez when we had half a chance, we shouldn't have loaned  Targett to Toon. We shouldn't have a bomb squad. But I think we can sell players and for the most part we aren't buying too old, though there is a trend of us buying older.

1 minute ago, Peter Griffin said:

The Alvarez transfer is the one I find most amusing. I love the naivety of believing we could have just signed Alvarez for 17m if we just acted more quickly in Jan. All media were covering that he was available, all media were reporting his goal scoring record and potential. To think that Man City weren't aware and hadn't been in contact with him is a joke. The discourse on here by some is that we messed up by delaying things and City saw what we were at and came in and snapped him up. 😂

The Alvarez signing was last summer. Before he was moved to centre forward and smashed apart the Argentinian leagues. We all knew it was too late by Jan.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, CarryOnVilla said:

when it comes to those “valid points” they’re as valid as our limited information. We have no idea what goes on behind the scenes and the reasons or actions behind every decision or lack on one

Absolutely, I couldn't agree more. We do not know what is going on behind the scenes but many are happy to jump on the bandwagon of the club messed up. 

3 minutes ago, HalfTimePost said:

The Alvarez signing was last summer. Before he was moved to centre forward and smashed apart the Argentinian leagues. We all knew it was too late by Jan.

Yes but it’s very likely that even when we were interested the previous summer he knew that he had big teams looking at him and wasn’t interested to join us. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

Absolutely, I couldn't agree more. We do not know what is going on behind the scenes but many are happy to jump on the bandwagon of the club messed up. 

It’s an easy stick to beat the management with the benefit of hindsight. We run a notoriously tight ship and certain deals show how quick we can move when needed. Sometimes, long term targets take time to deliver. Or we have a wide net of what we want and how we identify realistic targets. For all we know, Bailey could score more this season than Alvarez. There’s variables we aren’t privy to or can simply anticipate. 

• Like 2