Summer Transfer Window 2022

Loxstock92

They don't need to be but the young players that don't need to be registered can be to hit the quota.

Ramsey, Archer, Iroegbunam, Kesler and had he decided to sign, Chukweumeka will all be part of the first team squad possibly this season.

If there's one thing I'm not concerned about its how many homegrown players we have, we're one of the best planned clubs in the country in that respect.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, HalfTimePost said:

They don't need to be but the young players that don't need to be registered can be to hit the quota.

Ramsey, Archer, Iroegbunam, Kesler and had he decided to sign, Chukweumeka will all be part of the first team squad possibly this season.

If there's one thing I'm not concerned about its how many homegrown players we have, we're one of the best planned clubs in the country in that respect.

What makes you so sure about that last paragraph?

23 hours ago, Delphinho123 said:

I know I’ll be probably be labelled mad for turning my nose up at Tielemans, but wasn’t he a little lazy and unfit last year? 

He was, but had more to do with some injuries we was carrying most of the season to my knowledge, but fancy Gerrard would get the best out of him.

12 minutes ago, zab6359 said:

What makes you so sure about that last paragraph?

Because we've been hoovering up young talent in a way Ghislaine Maxwell would be proud of. 

Even the Scots that wouldn't count as Homegrown have been brought in at an age where they will count for us by the time they hit 21. Rory Wilson, Ewan Simpson and Aaron O'Reilly.

And for English players we literally had the entire England U19 midfield 3 as Villa players at times. We're demonstrably one of the best planned clubs in the country. 

And after years and years of having a decent academy, it appears we now have a very good one and we're actually learning how to bring them into the first team too

Edited by HalfTimePost
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, HalfTimePost said:

New attacker inbound? Or Gerrard creating a new Bomb Squad?

I think players who only show flashes of brilliance now and again, will find themselves out of favour.

We need to find consistency,  if we have ambitions of Europe....."fly by nights" won't take us there.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, flashingqwerty said:

I've been doing some digging on this and believe this is where we stand (players under 21 have been omitted): 

1. Martinez(HG)
  2. Olsen
  3. Steer
  4. Cash(HG)
  5. Konsa(HG)
  6. Mings(HG)
  7. Chambers(HG)
  8. Young(HG)
  9. Digne
  10. Hause(HG) - likely to leave
  11. Carlos
  12. Guilbert - likely to leave
  13. Augustinsson
  14. Luiz
  15. McGinn
  16. Sansom
  17. Buendia
  18. Nakamba - likely to leave
  19. Kamara
  20. Coutinho
  21. El Ghazi - likely to leave
  22. Traore - likely to leave
  23. Bailey
  24. Watkins(HG)
  25. Ings(HG)
  26. Davis(HG) - likely to leave

So that's 10 HG players, 2 of which are either likely to leave or are unlikely to make the squad, leaving us with the bear minimum in terms of HG quota.

Why is it that when I read this and think we could have Sanson and Kamara in midfield I hear myself say Sodom and Gomorrah? 😕

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, TRO said:

I think players who only show flashes of brilliance now and again, will find themselves out of favour.

We need to find consistency,  if we have ambitions of Europe....."fly by nights" won't take us there.

What so you think we need to compete for top 8, TRO? 

I think we are an attacking threat and creative midfielder short. I hoped Coutinho or Buendia would be the creative flair needed to replace Grealish but, Coutinho seems out of sorts and Buendia seems out of favour. 

1 minute ago, Villarocker said:

Why is it that when I read this and think we could have Sanson and Kamara in midfield I hear myself say Sodom and Gomorrah? 😕

because you have a brilliant mind for word association....now sod off and find some transfer news.😃

11 hours ago, Villaphan04 said:

giphy.gif

I think we are going to spend big on a new striker next summer (maybe in Jan if things with Watkins & Ings aren't going to plan)

We don't really have squad space if we can't shift some of the fringe guys this year (El Ghazi, Hause, Nakamba, Traore, Sanson-- idk if I would put him here though) where we would be able to buy a few more players).

Newcastle have exactly the same squad size as us (29) and are putting in bids for Maddison and Werner. 

It's clear we're terrible at shifting players but it's just one of a number of excuses we use for not strengthening the team. 

We've really not invested very much this summer at all. Around 45m spent and we've brought in 20m in sales so a net spend of 25m. We spent 25m in January but then had a surplus of 10m last summer so we have spent 40m net since the end of the 20/21 season. Even Southampton have spent more than that this summer alone. 

It's clear that Ings and Watkins will continue to frustrate again this season going on their preseason form. We still don't have any b2b midfielder that has any consistency and the decision to appoint McGinn captain is a ridiculous one because he isn't a leader and he doesn't lead by example either given he's not shown any level of consistency apart from his first season in the Champ. 

I just find it strange how Purslow talks about how getting into Europe this season is the goal when investment has been limited and we have Gerrard as manager who as of up to now hasn't proven himself as a top or dare I say even average PL manager. Surely when you make such bold statements you back it up with some bold moves but other than the early business we did we haven't really done that. If Gerrard is such a pull for players, surely we'd be looking to use that to upgrade on the likes of McGinn and Watkins who are never going to be top players at this level. 

I'm trying to lower my expectations as a result of that but at the same time I'll be very angry and disappointed if we go another year without even breaking into the top 10 which I'm sure wouldn't be far off the longest we've gone without doing that.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Villarocker said:

What so you think we need to compete for top 8, TRO? 

I think we are an attacking threat and creative midfielder short. I hoped Coutinho or Buendia would be the creative flair needed to replace Grealish but, Coutinho seems out of sorts and Buendia seems out of favour. 

Yeah.....If we don't, the top players, we are signing will, want to go, eventually.....Thats where we HAVE to be aiming.

I agree with your suggestion, but we can't keep signing players, when we can't sell them.....and we need to be sure, they are better than what we already have.

Ollie and Danny have shown in the past to be competent scorers, not great, but pretty good, strikers who can record between 2-3: 1 goals ratio are not bad......but they seem to be playing within themselves.

My other concern is....we seem to be easily closed down in play, but not so inclined to close down back...... we seem to give teams space to play in, when they deny us the space and time, for our talents to flourish.....I find that particualrly irritating.

I also see it, when we are playing less talented teams, and they find a way of levelling up our talent......We need and injection of more pace and industry in to our game, we are a bit laboured and predicatble at times.

Having said that.....We do have games where that is not the case and when we get about our work very well.....sadly, its usually when teams ALLOW us to play.

I guess, its part of the search for on going consistency.....which is the hardest thing to achieve.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

Newcastle have exactly the same squad size as us (29) and are putting in bids for Maddison and Werner. 

It's clear we're terrible at shifting players but it's just one of a number of excuses we use for not strengthening the team. 

We've really not invested very much this summer at all. Around 45m spent and we've brought in 20m in sales so a net spend of 25m. We spent 25m in January but then had a surplus of 10m last summer so we have spent 40m net since the end of the 20/21 season. Even Southampton have spent more than that this summer alone. 

It's clear that Ings and Watkins will continue to frustrate again this season going on their preseason form. We still don't have any b2b midfielder that has any consistency and the decision to appoint McGinn captain is a ridiculous one because he isn't a leader and he doesn't lead by example either given he's not shown any level of consistency apart from his first season in the Champ. 

I just find it strange how Purslow talks about how getting into Europe this season is the goal when investment has been limited and we have Gerrard as manager who as of up to now hasn't proven himself as a top or dare I say even average PL manager. Surely when you make such bold statements you back it up with some bold moves but other than the early business we did we haven't really done that. If Gerrard is such a pull for players, surely we'd be looking to use that to upgrade on the likes of McGinn and Watkins who are never going to be top players at this level. 

I'm trying to lower my expectations as a result of that but at the same time I'll be very angry and disappointed if we go another year without even breaking into the top 10 which I'm sure wouldn't be far off the longest we've gone without doing that.

I think shifting players at the right price, is a concern......but I think also, its a hangover, from the Championship.

It should improve as we progress.

I guess we coulld point to Jacks transfer and say......When we have quality goods to sell, we don;t do too bad.

When we have signed iffy standard of player, is it any wonder prospective buyers see it the same.....its down to progress, and attracting good quality, then its easier to sell.

1 minute ago, TRO said:

I think shifting players at the right price, is a concern......but I think also, its a hangover, from the Championship.

I guess we coulld point to Jacks transfer and say......When we have quality goods to sell, we don;t do too bad.

When we have signed iffy standard of player, is it any wonder prospective buyers see it the same.....its down to progress, and attracting good quality, then its easier to sell.

Grealish is one example where we have sold well, although we greatly suffered after his sale. Targett wasn't a bad sale either, although I felt given it was Newcastle we could have asked more than that (especially after they paid 25m for Chris Wood). 

I'm still not sure how we managed to shift Trez, but can't seem to move on AEG and Traore who I would consider better than Trez. I don't think putting Traore to train with the U23s is a good move either and I'd rather we utilise him in the squad if we can't sell him at the right price. Davis, Hause, Guilbert I can understand to a degree not being able to move them on. Sanson will probably stick around this season but you'd feel he'd have suitors for the 5-10m price range. I feel we're asking too much for Carney.

32 minutes ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

17 minutes ago, TRO said:

I agree that to some degree we seem to have issues shifting players.

However, at the same time, i think a lot of us have our Villa rose tinted glasses on and vastly overrate some of our players, leading to us being confused why we cant sell them for 10/20/30m etc.

Usually its because they arent as good as we think they are, or maybe its partly that and add the fact we gave them insane wages so they just arent attractive purchases at a reasonable transfer value.

I think the truth is a mixture of all the above.

ie:

• Traore is rumoured to be on 70/80k a week, who is gonna pay 15m for him and pick up those wages?
  • Davis is rumoured to be on 30k+ a week, who is gonna pay 10m for him and pick up those wages?
  • Nakamba & El Ghazi are prob on 30k + a week, who is gonna pay a reasonable fee and take those wages for honestly, a very poor player?
  • Ings is on prob 120k a week, do you think there is any other scenario than we run down the last 2 years on his contract, and he leaves on a free? (i hope we dont trigger his 1 year extension either....)

• Like 2

I dont think there will be any more incoming unless we can free up space in the squad. But the problem is no one wants the deadwood, we will either have to release them on a free or pay someone to loan then for the season (as in 100% waged) 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

Grealish is one example where we have sold well, although we greatly suffered after his sale. Targett wasn't a bad sale either, although I felt given it was Newcastle we could have asked more than that (especially after they paid 25m for Chris Wood). 

I'm still not sure how we managed to shift Trez, but can't seem to move on AEG and Traore who I would consider better than Trez. I don't think putting Traore to train with the U23s is a good move either and I'd rather we utilise him in the squad if we can't sell him at the right price. Davis, Hause, Guilbert I can understand to a degree not being able to move them on. Sanson will probably stick around this season but you'd feel he'd have suitors for the 5-10m price range. I feel we're asking too much for Carney.

I’d blame Everton for not being able to shift AEG. His value before that shitty loan spell was higher than Trez, then he went on loan there and barely featured. 

I’ve mentioned previously on shifting players for a decent fee being more difficult since the pandemic, It affected a lot of the leagues in Europe. So I think naturally teams abroad are more cautious when buying deadwood from the prem. I’m sure with Traore for example we could’ve shifted him sooner, but a combination of what we may want for him vs what he wants in wages will put European clubs off. He can attract interest from maybe a top Championship team, but let’s be real someone like Traore is not going to step down to the Championship he’s better than that and he’d know that. 

It’s frustrating trying to trim

the squad down yes, but I also see teams we are mixing with having the same issues (Leicester is a good example) 

55 minutes ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

Yeah 100% mate, the signings made so far have been good and promising however its not enough for where our ambitions lie if im perfectly honest , we finished 14th and we are only changing two positions and no new player to challenge any other areas on the pitch… our behind the striker roles are great tbf Phillipe, Leon and Emi are certainly (If remaining fit) excellent choices … ings and watkins wont be that next level up but they are still capable of doing good , sneaky bid for Timo Werner maybe 🤐 ….

Mcginn should never be walking out in that starting line up and we should be signing a dynamic beast for CM and not guaranteeing anyone in that area a starting position because we lack there heavily!… someone said it right gerrard sees the running around and energy and thats what gives players like mcginn the tip over the edge.

Side finishes maybe 9th without those necessary changes and could be 7/8th with those additions

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Rustibrooks said:

I’d blame Everton for not being able to shift AEG. His value before that shitty loan spell was higher than Trez, then he went on loan there and barely featured. 

I’ve mentioned previously on shifting players for a decent fee being more difficult since the pandemic, It affected a lot of the leagues in Europe. So I think naturally teams abroad are more cautious when buying deadwood from the prem. I’m sure with Traore for example we could’ve shifted him sooner, but a combination of what we may want for him vs what he wants in wages will put European clubs off. He can attract interest from maybe a top Championship team, but let’s be real someone like Traore is not going to step down to the Championship he’s better than that and he’d know that. 

It’s frustrating trying to trim

the squad down yes, but I also see teams we are mixing with having the same issues (Leicester is a good example) 

That was our fault sending him to Everton when Rafa was clearly about to get sacked.

• Like 1