Summer Transfer Window 2022

Loxstock92

15 hours ago, paul514 said:

Do you have any idea how much we can spend before reaching the limit? its hundreds of millions.

Respectfully disagree re your stated financial flexibility we have. Appreciate that we do have cash available but believe that the money it would take to buy a quality striker upgrade would massively impact on our ability to buy a quality CM. 

15 hours ago, paul514 said:

I think we’ll keep our powder dry on a striker this year and go big next year, on who though I have absolutely no idea.

As for Bert, I like him as a player, I just think he’s a luxury and we don’t have the quality in midfield to cover for him. It’s nothing personal on him but I think as a football club we’ve tended to keep hold of our fringe players far longer than needed. If you don’t improve constantly in football you get left behind. 

For me at the moment it’s about us making that next step, we did it with Digne/Target, a quality jump, that pushed our starter to the bench. We need to do it with McGinn too in CM, he himself has alluded to it in interviews, saying if you don’t perform, the club will replace you.

These small incremental improvements are what will push us up the league. We all see the 2 or 3 years ago squad lists for matches and the squad is hugely different. In another three years time, how many of the current first team will still be in it I wonder. 

• Like 2

We won’t be signing a striker this window. Invested too much in Ings and Watkins to dismiss Ings in particular after one season. They will hope he picks up some form. We also have Archer who is an exciting prospect. If we bring a player in it will be a CM. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Feidhlim said:

You forgot Veretout 

😬

And Morgan, Berson..... France, midfield and villa don't scream success but hopefully Kamara will be the exception. 

My point is we need a proven premier league DM, we have missed out on a couple but there are others who could help us. 

I'm nervous that 6 games in it will seem obvious, even to the happy clappers , that we're still weak in that area. I hope I'm wrong. 

Edited by tinker

3 minutes ago, Villa87 said:

We won’t be signing a striker this window. Invested too much in Ings and Watkins to dismiss Ings in particular after one season. They will hope he picks up some form. We also have Archer who is an exciting prospect. If we bring a player in it will be a CM. 

While I don’t necessarily disagree, we invested similar money into Mings and Konsa yet we have invested in Carlos after a poor season by Konsa so I don’t see the difference.  

I don’t think investment totally dictates this decision, it will be down to whose available, if the right striker becomes available I don’t think they’ll hesitate so we may still acquire a striker if the right deal comes along.

30 minutes ago, Villa87 said:

If Gerrard wants a striker he'll get one. He hasn't got "his" striker yet and if his recommendation is that we don't score enough, which costs us several positions, and need a more ruthless striker, one will be sourced for him. We have plenty of money to do so. Most big clubs trying to break in to, or occupying the top positions have more than 2 senior strikers and one youngster.

Anyway, I certainly wouldn't rule out the possibility of a new striker (and a CM) arriving before St Jim White Day.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Mazrim said:

If Gerrard wants a striker he'll get one. He hasn't got "his" striker yet and if his recommendation is that we don't score enough, which costs us several positions, and need a more ruthless striker, one will be sourced for him. We have plenty of money to do so. Most big clubs trying to break in to, or occupying the top positions have more than 2 senior strikers and one youngster.

Anyway, I certainly wouldn't rule out the possibility of a new striker (and a CM) arriving before St Jim White Day.

But the players that score a lot now are players that arent strikers. Players like Salah, Son who start out wide a d drift in but we don't play that way

Funny enough the season before we found a player who could do that job though not on the same level then dumped him and stopped playing width

If any one is interested in NEW 1 year old transfer news:

Diaby is from the Leverkusen school of ridiculously rapid.

Was he a primary target, and Leon secondary, or did we want both?

If true of course.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN

12 hours ago, Jas10 said:

Sorry mate, my comment wasn’t aimed squarely at you. I don’t see you as one of the guys who are overly critical of him but was also a little saddened by your comment 🤣

I do think there are many people that disregard what he can do/bring and just generally seem to dislike him for some reason…

I wouldn’t compare him to Hause either. It’s not a comparable situation imo as Kortney has become surplus whereas we don’t have a heap of quality options in attack. I, for one, would be happy for BT to step in if we’re ever without Coutinho and Buendia at times…

He’s not been with us for all that long but I think he was really good in his first season and gave us something different - I think that’s key. Having different options and types in the squad can be a real asset, he is very skilled but I don’t see him as a first choice player anyway. It’s not like I’m clamouring for him to be a fixture in the team.

For me, it was refreshing to see a technically superior player in the team after having to endure players such as El Ghazi and Trez… he was a good replacement…

As far as injuries go, I think there can be a lack of understanding and maybe even compassion. The guy had to have groin surgery, I don’t think it was something that was widely known or reported on either. Last season was a write off for sure, due to injury, but his first season was hugely encouraging imo. He probably got more hate & criticism for appearing in a major tournament for his country and hardly appearing for us, but how many players don’t prioritise their national team over club team? Just look at the previous Martinez and Buendia antics. That seems to have been forgotten very quickly, not that it bothered me.

He made a significant impact. He had a great first season and made it more entertaining and enjoyable, at times when we were struggling too. Got a few goals out of nowhere and helped us do better in games, against top sides too. He was excellent against Chelsea in the final game, when fans were allowed back at VP. If I remember correctly, he scored in both games against Man Poo and one was an absolute cracker!

That first half against Burnley was some of the best football we’d played since getting promoted and BT was a major part of that, alongside JG and Barkley…

I think we (football fans) are generally quite fickle and reactionary… no matter how much we try and deny it. Just look how easily and quickly we change our minds on things.

For example, look at Bailey. There have been many people (not just here, I don’t just observe thoughts and opinions on this forum) who had completely written him off and even wanted rid of him. Now, after a good performance in the second half of a preseason friendly, people are raving about him… not exactly a balanced view is it? That’s just one small example anyway…

We need quality and options in the squad, having talented players to either bring off the bench or rotate in or cover for injured/suspended players is a major advantage. 

Going back to your comment. When we saw plenty of him, in only that first season, he did make an impact quite often and he did make tangible contributions, namely goals, assists and skills, beating his man etc. he was an obvious upgrade on what we previously had…

Maybe recency bias comes into it too.

There are too many people that get angry, frustrated and overly critical of players and even turn their back on some of them too quickly without taking several factors into account…

It could also be a question of “taste” here too…

I can’t lie… what I love most about football is the entertainment factor, to see skilled and technically proficient players show what they can do… I’ve always been drawn more to those kinds of players rather than the grafter types that make up for a deficiency in skill/talent/technique by running harder and putting more energy into games. The best players are the ones that have a blend of both (but also heavily lean toward the technical side imo too).

Some people prefer those grafter types and would rather see a player running around for 90 mins and diving into tackles rather than produce the odd moment of sublime skill…

I think you need a balance and mix of these sort of players in a good team anyway but talent and effort have to go hand in hand. But to be “elite” or anywhere close, technical proficiency is a must…

I don’t know, I think people are harsher on him than most of our players…

Why are we so desperate to offload players that can make a contribution and give us depth while at the same time calling it a “squad game?”.

Seems like we’re selective with who we think will improve with a “proper preseason” too…

Anyway

after all this

he’s probably getting sold anyway 🤣🤣🤣

Again he is the most magical player I've ever seen at VP but his overall game isn’t enough for our ambitions and by all means if we are able to keep him without hassle then yes keep him as a squad player, if not then we will need the space to accommodate players that are able to give more, traore is an exciting player or can also frustrate more often than not, el ghazi and trez gave us more history defining moments mate thats why they are held in higher regard

32 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

If any one is interested in NEW 1 year old transfer news:

Diaby is from the Leverkusen school of ridiculously rapid.

Was he a primary target, and Leon secondary, or did we want both?

If true of course.

I think it would have been the other way around, Diaby has pretty much burst into hot form at Leverkusen when Bailey left

• Like 1

3 hours ago, burchy said:

I think we’ll keep our powder dry on a striker this year and go big next year, on who though I have absolutely no idea.

As for Bert, I like him as a player, I just think he’s a luxury and we don’t have the quality in midfield to cover for him. It’s nothing personal on him but I think as a football club we’ve tended to keep hold of our fringe players far longer than needed. If you don’t improve constantly in football you get left behind. 

For me at the moment it’s about us making that next step, we did it with Digne/Target, a quality jump, that pushed our starter to the bench. We need to do it with McGinn too in CM, he himself has alluded to it in interviews, saying if you don’t perform, the club will replace you.

These small incremental improvements are what will push us up the league. We all see the 2 or 3 years ago squad lists for matches and the squad is hugely different. In another three years time, how many of the current first team will still be in it I wonder. 

This may well be true. I found Gerrards comments of finishing top half being the minimum expected this season interesting. Sounds like if he achieves that the owners would be happy and back him again next summer to push on from there.

Edited by Vive_La_Villa

Lyon are buggered financially and are reportedly open to offers for Paqueta. I always thought he was better further forward but could he be a decent CM option? His pressing/tackling stats are good.

I don't see us signing a new striker, I think we'll go with Watkins, Ings and Archer. At their best Watkins and Ings are as good as we can reasonably expect to get at this stage in our 'project' imo. Archer is a breath of fresh air at just the right time and should be used regularly as an impact sub against tiring defences.

The reason why I'm hopeful that our strikers will score more this coming season is because I think Gerrard is pushing hard for a quality CM partner for Kamara. I think most of us would agree that the lack of pass completion from both McGinn and Ramsey cost us dearly last season. The number of times we gave away possession because of sloppy passing by McGinn,and the general lack of passing and completion by JJ, was a source of great frustration and a serious points limiter.  A solid CM base with two technical and physical athletes will add balance and accuracy which will increase our striking opportunities.

So c'mon SG .... One cracking signing and we're good to go!

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Zatman said:

image.jpeg.a26f6f41be44291d4f489564862411b6.jpeg

You may be joking, although I think you aren't...

but he was very good on the left wing, while Jack was injured.  Lost his place when Jack came back, and then was moved to the right where he's useless.

He was far from perfect, but we are as much to blame for not getting the best out of him.

Ship has long since sailed for him now sadly.