Summer Transfer Window 2022

Loxstock92

9 hours ago, Zatman said:

Sounds like a Brazilian Robbie Savage from the description :P 

He only has 7 Portuguese caps, cant imagine he is such a fan favourite yet and most of them against average nations if dont include Spain

I was actually thinking sounds like a Brazilian Jack Grealish! 

1 hour ago, Delphinho123 said:

I really can’t see us signing Otavio to play as a number 8. I could be completely wrong, but from what I’ve seen and read, he does most of his best work a little further forward. He almost looks like a hybrid of Coutinho and Buendia in the way he plays and carries himself. 

As good as he looks, I still think we need a number 8 with a bit more of a physical presence in there. 

Either way, he seems to fit the bill with his aggression, determination and undoubted ability. He’s also South American (from what I can gather) so will fit in nicely. 

Kind of agree, I don’t see how your target list goes Calvin Phillips, Bissouma and then this guy. He looks a completely different player. And as you say more a clone of Coutinho and Buendia. I guess it would give us option of playing a 4,2,3,1. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, ciggiesnbeer said:

I am completely content with how we are doing our business and with how Purslow and the owners are proceeding. Delighted actually.

Thankyou, completely agree. The mood changes so easily on here. When the dust settles we'll have had one of the best windows in the league.

Chelsea and City were always destined for a great window this summer (despite the faint hope Chelsea might collapse instead). As were Newcastle, who we're at a minimum holding our own against (Botman/Pope great signings. As are Kamara/Carlos for us, if you argue Coutinho was already here)

We're doing very well. A couple more from being where we want to be this season and couldn't be much happier with the way the club are going about it.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, RicRic said:
Liverpool fans were creaming over a dusty baller like Otavio, the standards are well and truly on the floor amongst our fanbase.

🤦🏽‍♂️ Please villa lets not go there

Why the fvck are we reading random Liverpool fans on Twitter's opinion on players?

It's not even a tactical analysis just a complete sh!t take

Otavio would improve the midfield but doesn't get me excited tbh. 

• Like 2

I really want Otavio.

I don’t know much about him, but from reading various articles and watching some footage he looks like the type of player that would benefit the team. I also compared the footage to Sanson’s YouTube footage and it’s fair to say there’s a big difference between the players in quality.

Kamara and Nakamba are more than enough to cover the DM role. Chambers and Luiz (if he stays) can provide cover.

Otavio, Ramsey, McGinn in the centre midfield places. I would then try to keep Luiz to play as an 8; but sell him if he has no intention of signing a deal. If we sell Luiz I would then keep Sanson and give him another season to prove himself.

In the attacking midfield slots we currently have Buendia, Coutinho, Bailey and Traore. With Ings who can drop in when required; or Ramsey, McGinn or Otavio who could push up when required.

7 hours ago, Jas10 said:

Sorry for any misunderstanding, I wasn’t specifically referring to you as pessimistic. More of a general statement yet there have been posters who spread negativity, nothing new here. I just don’t get how anyone can derive any joy from being like that, being a football fan is partly hope and wishing for the best right? Why be intentionally miserable?

We have to be a bit realistic I suppose, without ruling out surprises (such as Coutinho, Kamara & Carlos). 

I’m not overly reliant or in admiration of many individuals either, I agree it’s all about the team and it’s overall success. That’s always the priority. But better players performing to their best will allow that to happen. My mind is focussed on Buendia more than anyone, I rate him very highly and see him as one of our major assets.

I’m not crazy about Ollie but was delighted by how good a signing it turned out to be and it looked like we finally had a quality, dependable striker after so long. I can see his qualities and he’s so tireless and hardworking. Seems a genuinely good, honest lad - it’s nice to have likeable players (makes a change for us! 🤣 considering our not so distant past). I admire him for that.

For where we’re at it’s difficult to have many players who are the finished article or genuinely top class, development and coaching is needed and required. Players can improve…

My personal wish is that we genuinely strengthen and address the balance of the side so that our attackers are more free to produce their best. I want Coutinho and Buendia both in the side and not two CFs. Just imagine the pair of them at their best, it will be so entertaining and that is why I follow this sport & club… I want to be entertained and enjoy seeing my team play well. 

I feel if we get a striker (I’m not averse to it, if we can get better than what we have then that’s great. A young Suarez type would be amazing but I have no idea who) then we will need to offload at least one. We’ve made a big investment in Ings but it’s a complicated situation because who do we start then? And will the other guy be happy coming off the bench? And is that sensible when we’ve invested so much money in him?

I just don’t like this instant gratification and quick fix attitude nowadays and how quickly people turn on players. Again, we expect loyalty from them but how much do we give them in return? They need support and backing too… they’re only human, not robots.

Many are too quick to want to get rid of or turn on players and there is a lack of understanding when it comes to fitness problems, injuries, off the field issues etc. 

I mean, there are people that want to get rid of Bailey… shouldn’t we give the lad more of a chance especially after such an investment? He’s just one example, but do people not realise if we write players off too soon and get rid we are digging a deep financial hole for ourselves? We don’t have a limitless pot of money and if we sell players, we need to at least recoup what we paid but preferably make a profit…

Players aren’t allowed any kind of temporary slump (no matter the reason, whether that’s out of their control or not) nowadays and are seen as expendable almost…

Hey, if it were me I’d probably ditch a few players like Watkins & Ings (so long as good fees were received) and replace them with hugely talented cultured finishers from South America or something, deadly on one on ones etc. beautiful curled finishes and chips & lobs over keepers. But that’s not gonna happen is it? 😆 Aah… the days of Championship Manager! 

Back to reality 😆

I just think we will be in better shape and many of these guys will be able to produce a lot better. We need some stability after a couple of turbulent seasons. That will help the players.

If we add the right quality in the right areas it’s only going to help but it’s important to realise that we do have a lot of talent in the squad and need to get the best out of it. We can’t keep spending like crazy and have little or nothing to show for it.

I agree, good post.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Delphinho123 said:

I really can’t see us signing Otavio to play as a number 8. I could be completely wrong, but from what I’ve seen and read, he does most of his best work a little further forward. He almost looks like a hybrid of Coutinho and Buendia in the way he plays and carries himself. 

As good as he looks, I still think we need a number 8 with a bit more of a physical presence in there. 

Either way, he seems to fit the bill with his aggression, determination and undoubted ability. He’s also South American (from what I can gather) so will fit in nicely. 

Exactly where I am with this one. We are still very lightweight in CM.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, eholm said:

Exactly where I am with this one. We are still very lightweight in CM.

Otavio would be a good signing, he's a CL quality player.  But we still need a more defensive minded CM.

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

So I read in a couple of places that the end of the FFP period now makes a difference to when clubs do business.

Today is the last day of the current FFP period, with the 1st July marking the start of the new year - is there a chance we might begin our second wave of recruitment tomorrow morning?

Would be great to read one or two articles if you can remember where you saw them? 

10 minutes ago, Awol said:

Would be great to read one or two articles if you can remember where you saw them? 

Most talking about it are talking about it from the perspective of Clubs having to sell before today. If you're under the FFP line by end of today, it can have implications - less so in the Prem (though Everton talked about a lot) 

https://theathletic.com/3382149/2022/06/25/everton-transfer-window-importance-june-30/?amp=1

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football/18999164/everton-sell-chelsea-tottenham-richarlison/amp/

But quite a bit more important abroad. Spanish clubs for example have some serious complications if they aren't above the line by end of today. Atleti have said if they don't raise €40m today then for every €3 euros they generate July onwards, they could only reinvest €1. Barca are considering selling their TV rights, parts of their media company, De Jong to United. Sevilla saved themselves the hassle by selling us Diego Carlos - otherwise they'd be selling Kounde for penny's on the pound today.

The converse (and more applicable to us) is less talked about. We'll now be in a new financial year, with 3 full years of Prem numbers behind us. Our championship money won't be affecting our FFP anymore, and effectively we open a new round of spending without the worry of running afoulof FFP.

I'm not too sure I believe we would now suddenly start pumping bids in. There's nothing stopping deals having virtually be done then just completed tomorrow - but we work quietly, maybe that is the case.

I do think we'd have been more likely to take advantage again of Spanish clubs poor fortune today than wait till tomorrow to start up again tbh. We're more opportunistic and planned than to be that close to the line on waiting for the new financial year imo.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

9 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I was only joking the other day when I said bring him home... but what are him and his wife playing at?

Screenshot_20220630-010449_Facebook-min-min.jpg

He looks like he's just seen what she's wearing and is having flashbacks to his time with us! Looks like he's still a right Moaning Michael. 

image.jpeg.c618d4eddb8378ac26775cc6556124ef.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

16 minutes ago, John said:

He looks like he's just seen what she's wearing and is having flashbacks to his time with us! Looks like he's still a right Moaning Michael. 

image.jpeg.c618d4eddb8378ac26775cc6556124ef.jpeg

He has recurring nightmares of a man attacking him, he is wearing a gilet while doing his funky tactical dance

Edited by Zatman

17 minutes ago, HalfTimePost said:

Most talking about it are talking about it from the perspective of Clubs having to sell before today. If you're under the FFP line by end of today, it can have implications - less so in the Prem (though Everton talked about a lot) 

https://theathletic.com/3382149/2022/06/25/everton-transfer-window-importance-june-30/?amp=1

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football/18999164/everton-sell-chelsea-tottenham-richarlison/amp/

But quite a bit more important abroad. Spanish clubs for example have some serious complications if they aren't above the line by end of today. Atleti have said if they don't raise €40m today then for every €3 euros they generate July onwards, they could only reinvest €1. Barca are considering selling their TV rights, parts of their media company, De Jong to United. Sevilla saved themselves the hassle by selling us Diego Carlos - otherwise they'd be selling Kounde for penny's on the pound today.

The converse (and more applicable to us) is less talked about. We'll now be in a new financial year, with 3 full years of Prem numbers behind us. Our championship money won't be affecting our FFP anymore, and effectively we open a new round of spending without the worry of running afoulof FFP.

I'm not too sure I believe we would now suddenly start pumping bids in. There's nothing stopping deals having virtually be done then just completed tomorrow - but we work quietly, maybe that is the case.

I do think we'd have been more likely to take advantage again of Spanish clubs poor fortune today than wait till tomorrow to start up again tbh. We're more opportunistic and planned than to be that close to the line on waiting for the new financial year imo.

Top banana, thanks for explaining that so thoroughly.

So it’s Rodrigo de Paul from Atleti by close of play. Happy with that! 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, HalfTimePost said:

As you say deals can be done anytime, similarly they can be announced anytime. The paperwork I’d imagine can all be signed so no backing out by either side, but the dates when a player is either registered or legally becomes a player of club X, Y or Z and the financial implications that accompany such things are probably wrapped in a myriad of legal and accounting mumbojumbo that the layman would never understand. 

A “journalist” has written an article to fill column inches/click bait that attempts to add a deadline and therefore a story. However in my opinion, very much that of a layman, the actual “deadline” date has no practical significance. Certainly not down to the last minute when it SLAMS SHUT!!

8 hours ago, Jas10 said:

Sorry for any misunderstanding, I wasn’t specifically referring to you as pessimistic. More of a general statement yet there have been posters who spread negativity, nothing new here. I just don’t get how anyone can derive any joy from being like that, being a football fan is partly hope and wishing for the best right? Why be intentionally miserable?

We have to be a bit realistic I suppose, without ruling out surprises (such as Coutinho, Kamara & Carlos). 

I’m not overly reliant or in admiration of many individuals either, I agree it’s all about the team and it’s overall success. That’s always the priority. But better players performing to their best will allow that to happen. My mind is focussed on Buendia more than anyone, I rate him very highly and see him as one of our major assets.

I’m not crazy about Ollie but was delighted by how good a signing it turned out to be and it looked like we finally had a quality, dependable striker after so long. I can see his qualities and he’s so tireless and hardworking. Seems a genuinely good, honest lad - it’s nice to have likeable players (makes a change for us! 🤣 considering our not so distant past). I admire him for that.

For where we’re at it’s difficult to have many players who are the finished article or genuinely top class, development and coaching is needed and required. Players can improve…

My personal wish is that we genuinely strengthen and address the balance of the side so that our attackers are more free to produce their best. I want Coutinho and Buendia both in the side and not two CFs. Just imagine the pair of them at their best, it will be so entertaining and that is why I follow this sport & club… I want to be entertained and enjoy seeing my team play well. 

I feel if we get a striker (I’m not averse to it, if we can get better than what we have then that’s great. A young Suarez type would be amazing but I have no idea who) then we will need to offload at least one. We’ve made a big investment in Ings but it’s a complicated situation because who do we start then? And will the other guy be happy coming off the bench? And is that sensible when we’ve invested so much money in him?

I just don’t like this instant gratification and quick fix attitude nowadays and how quickly people turn on players. Again, we expect loyalty from them but how much do we give them in return? They need support and backing too… they’re only human, not robots.

Many are too quick to want to get rid of or turn on players and there is a lack of understanding when it comes to fitness problems, injuries, off the field issues etc. 

I mean, there are people that want to get rid of Bailey… shouldn’t we give the lad more of a chance especially after such an investment? He’s just one example, but do people not realise if we write players off too soon and get rid we are digging a deep financial hole for ourselves? We don’t have a limitless pot of money and if we sell players, we need to at least recoup what we paid but preferably make a profit…

Players aren’t allowed any kind of temporary slump (no matter the reason, whether that’s out of their control or not) nowadays and are seen as expendable almost…

Hey, if it were me I’d probably ditch a few players like Watkins & Ings (so long as good fees were received) and replace them with hugely talented cultured finishers from South America or something, deadly on one on ones etc. beautiful curled finishes and chips & lobs over keepers. But that’s not gonna happen is it? 😆 Aah… the days of Championship Manager! 

Back to reality 😆

I just think we will be in better shape and many of these guys will be able to produce a lot better. We need some stability after a couple of turbulent seasons. That will help the players.

If we add the right quality in the right areas it’s only going to help but it’s important to realise that we do have a lot of talent in the squad and need to get the best out of it. We can’t keep spending like crazy and have little or nothing to show for it.

I think you make some salient points, and ones worth reminding us, that it isn't a bottomless pit of money....each player has to improve on last seasons offerings in order for the team to improve.

We have evidence in Lukaku and Pogba.....that all the talent is wasted, if the attitude is not there.

Players must have "Heart" in order to form a "Team" ....talent alone won't do it......lesser talented teams can beat us if they have more heart.

This season, we need to show, an edge to our game, that makes us hard to overcome and that we are always in games with a chance to winning....No more caving in, from winning positions,  like against Wolves and Man CIty....we have to see games out.

I too am like you, I love to be entertained, but above all, I want to win......I think so much hope is generated from winning and even if we play not so well, winning sets a tone of playing better next time.....Winning takes the pressure off everyone connected with the club and above all it keeps owners interested ( who motivates the owners?.....winners) Our owners are the best of all time, in my view....They deserve to be rewarded.

We can't always win every game.....but we can pull every sinew, trying.

I still feel, we need a couple of quality signings to go in to the season, with confidence of giving opponents a game.....or at least letting other teams know, they've been in one.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 2

22 minutes ago, Zatman said:

He has recurring nightmares of a man attacking him, he is wearing a gilet while doing his funky tactical dance

spacer.png

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, OutByEaster? said:

So I read in a couple of places that the end of the FFP period now makes a difference to when clubs do business.

Today is the last day of the current FFP period, with the 1st July marking the start of the new year - is there a chance we might begin our second wave of recruitment tomorrow morning?

Interesting point.