Summer Transfer Window 2022

Loxstock92

4 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

It think it comes from posts back in March to the extent "big summer, we need 14 new players" how many posts in here want us to sell half of the starting 11 and buy new players? 

it was never going to happen

Too many want a new player in every position and its unrealistic

Its usually preceded by "if we want Europe next year" too, I don't believe that, we needed quality in key positions and to get more consistency out of what we already have, especially the strikers

This is a long game 

Agree mate. Especially the bolded bit. Spend a few quid and there will be some saying Gerrard has failed if we don’t get Europe. Completely ignoring the fact that the 13 teams that finished above us last season are also spending big money. 

Fans are so impatient. 

1 minute ago, thunderball said:

That’s Twitter for you, and most of the kids today. Impatient.

If our current squad plays to 75% of its ability (a 7.5 every game) we have a very, very good and very talented squad and every chance of finishing 6th.

No we don't.  Our midfield is still not anywhere near top 10 let alone top 6.  It is a hugely unrealistic to expect a young kid in his first season in the PL to make the difference between 14th and 6th.  We have had a pretty good window so far.  But if the owners are genuinely expecting to challenge the top 6 then we are still a way away.  Another midfield signing and I would expect a challenge for the European spots. 

But to finish in the top 6 would take a miracle in terms of our current squad.  We are two injuries away from a back four with Mings and Chambers at the centre and the "core" midfield that has failed more often than it has succeeded over the last 2 or 3 seasons.  If Ollie or Ings get injured then we have a huge question mark over where our goals are coming from.

It has been an excellent start to the window.  No doubt.  I'd give it about a 6 out of 10 so far.  The right next signing could turn it into an 8.  Two signings could make it a 10.  Suggesting that we are capable of challenging for 6th if we play to 75% of our ability is almost as ludicrous as suggesting that we will be relegated.

1 minute ago, villa4europe said:

It think it comes from posts back in March to the extent "big summer, we need 14 new players" how many posts in here want us to sell half of the starting 11 and buy new players 

it was never going to happen

Too many want a new player in every position and its unrealistic

Its usually preceded by "if we want Europe next year" too, I don't believe that, we needed quality in key positions and to get more consistency out of what we already have, especially the strikers

This is a long game 

I’ve never understood this phrase… why do we have to be in a hurry to get in to Europe? 

almost all the European spots are gatekept by the “big 6” so the only way is to play a long game to get in… not just going all or bust in one summer… we need to get great players before they’re great. Develop them all to come in their peak at around the same time. Luckily we have some signs we are doing this. 

in a few years time the Villa squad could be led by players like Carney, Archer, boubs, KKH, Tim, the Ramsey bros and maybe even Doug. They are all fairly close in age and could all peak at about the same time.. if they can reach their full potential we going to have a cracking squad without spending an awful lot. Maybe even European level good. 

fingers crossed 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, CarryOnVilla said:

I’ve never understood this phrase… why do we have to be in a hurry to get in to Europe? 

almost all the European spots are gatekept by the “big 6” so the only way is to play a long game to get in… not just going all or bust in one summer… we need to get great players before they’re great. Develop them all to come in their peak at around the same time. Luckily we have some signs we are doing this. 

in a few years time the Villa squad could be led by players like Carney, Archer, boubs, KKH, Tim, the Ramsey bros and maybe even Doug. They are all fairly close in age and could all peak at about the same time.. if they can reach their full potential we going to have a cracking squad without spending an awful lot. Maybe even European level good. 

fingers crossed 

The other problem being the amount of people that want to loan out every single player at the club under the age of 21 

Agree its a long game, trust the infrastructure we've put in place, it's every bit as important as the transfers, we've made big changes to our youth management this summer and look to be buying in some more high potential kids 

8 minutes ago, CarryOnVilla said:

fingers crossed 

of course is no hurry for me BUT without going over old ground the board swiftly sacked a manager because 55 points wasnt good enough so I can see why Europe might be an expectation now.

I can see why fans are in a bit of a hurry as it seems this is an indication from the club, lets be honest spending money and wages we have done in the last 2 seasons also indicates we should be challenging for Europe

3 minutes ago, CarryOnVilla said:

fingers crossed 

I think because if we finish 12th next season - people will be saying that we aren't progressing and that the manager has failed.  The Board have repeatedly stated that their ambition is to qualify for Europe.  So the club is putting its own pressure on what success looks like and how quickly that needs to happen.  They could have taken the "Brighton" route of saying that their ambition was to challenge for mid-table by concentrating on signing young players with a view to making money to sustain the project.  They didn't.

Personally I would still be happy with a top half finish and a team showing more control in more matches.  I'd be happy to see more youngsters given a chance (if they are good enough) but it is a big risk to rely on them succeeding.

I don't think we are done yet this transfer window.  It has been a good start but it doesn't match what the Board, Christian and Gerrard have been saying.  I think they are still working on a couple of areas.  Get those right and suddenly I think we will be able to blood some of our youngsters in a team that is playing well and is confident in itself - which will be far more beneficial to their development than chucking them on when we are struggling.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Zatman said:

lets be honest spending money and wages we have done in the last 2 seasons also indicates we should be challenging for Europe

Above who? West Ham? They're the only ones that realistically we could be catching and even then that's fighting off the likes of Newcastle, Leicester and Wolves to do so, I think Palace are going to have a good year

We should be in that race but we're a long way off it being a disappointment not to win it

Arsenal, utd and spurs are way ahead of us

• Like 1

1 minute ago, villa4europe said:

The other problem being the amount of people that want to loan out every single player at the club under the age of 21 

Agree its a long game, trust the infrastructure we've put in place, it's every bit as important as the transfers, we've made big changes to our youth management this summer and look to be buying in some more high potential kids 

I’m not against loaning some out, if it means they can develop more… but some will do just as well staying and having a go for some of the positions. For example, I think Archer wouldn’t be a bad idea to keep about, if we were to sell an Ings or a Watkins 

2 hours ago, Steero113 said:

Villa are not attracting £80m forwards at the moment, especially ones with a goal return similar to what Watkins gets for us. 

I think this is right. 1. I'm not sure we would or should be signing players for this amount at present (budget/ffp); 2. An £80m player will typically want CL which we can't offer; and 3. We have other priorities.

I believe that Ollie is something like the 6th highest scorer in the PL over the last two seasons ... arguably punching above our weight!? He is better than many on here give him credit for, imho, and with a good pre-season should be back firing next year. He is not Kane but very very few are ... that's why Citeh were looking to pay £100m+ for him last year.

I think, if we do sign a striker, it'll be for rotation etc.. Five subs means plenty of options to change your attack during games and the ability to rotate more/start others as those rested can always get 30 mins. Of the realistic names seen, I am not sure any looks better than Ollie??

1 minute ago, Zatman said:

of course is no hurry for me BUT without going over old ground the board swiftly sacked a manager because 55 points wasnt good enough so I can see why Europe might be an expectation now.

I can see why fans are in a bit of a hurry as it seems this is an indication from the club, lets be honest spending money and wages we have done in the last 2 seasons also indicates we should be challenging for Europe

I agree with most of this.  But Smith wasn't sacked for only getting 55 points the season before last.  He was sacked because the points we got from January to November was on a par with relegation form and there was little sign that the team were about to turn things around.  If 2020/21 had been in reverse then I don't think that Smith would have been sacked when he did because he could have shown that he'd got the team out of a rut and turned things around.  So he deserved a chance to do it again.  But it had been coming up to 12 months since we'd played well / had a decent run of results.  That was why the Board felt that he wasn't showing the progress that they / the club wanted.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, RicRic said:

Excellently put, and just to add to that we will be trying to have those starters as rotational players in turn improving the squad.. starters such as Luiz and Mcginn would be coming off the bench , don’t get me wrong too mcginn on the right day is the best player on the pitch but he goes missing way too frequently hes a 1 in 4 player we need a 1 in 2 player

As has often been said, playing an unsuitable role. I believe that, if the team is set up properly/geared up to suit SJM i.e. we have a strong DCM, we will see a different, and much more consistently good, SJM.

1 hour ago, av1 said:

It’s crazy really. 

I honestly believe that if the club did nothing until the last week of the window and then signed Kamara, Diego Carlos, Countinho and Olsen, it would be viewed as a great window. 

The trouble is with fans (though it makes perfect sense for the club to get stuff early) is that signings are forgotten about quickly in a window, and it’s just “ok where’s the next one”

I agree BUT they've probably made it worse by being so proactive at the outset! I think people saw the four signings and would just carry on with that pace until pre-season! Not possible for anybody other than maybe Citeh and Plop??

57 minutes ago, Xela said:

It's mental. People want a rebuild every season. The signing of a new player(s) becomes the most important thing. There is no thought that players can improve and develop. Remember the verdict on Ramsey at the start of last season ("dogshit mate")

I don't recall many dogshit comments but I think a lot, including me I will admit, thought he would probably benefit from a decent loan at a top championship side.

We will probably be signing at least another three first team players, just because the media isn't giving a running commentrary on everything that's going on doesn't mean that there's nothing happening. We probably, haven't even spent the majority of our budget d'été yet.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Xela said:

It's mental. People want a rebuild every season. The signing of a new player(s) becomes the most important thing. There is no thought that players can improve and develop. Remember the verdict on Ramsey at the start of last season ("dogshit mate")

Can't say I do. I very much doubt many people were writing him off. 

3 minutes ago, barry'sboots said:

I don't recall many dogshit comments but I think a lot, including me I will admit, thought he would probably benefit from a decent loan at a top championship side.

100%. I don’t believe anyone who says that they predicted the massive improvement in Ramsey’s form. He was never “dogsh*t” though.