Summer Transfer Window 2022

Loxstock92

3 minutes ago, thunderball said:

Sorry but I don’t ever remember being miles ahead of Tottenham, but I do remember briefly fighting over the same sort of place in the league during the MON era for a very short period, but we were very much behind them but at that time perhaps in the next tier below the big 3. But the London factor helped massively then, and very astute management. They have kicked on since then and we had fallen like a stone thanks to Lerner pulling the rug from under things. Small decisions but it could have been so different a real sliding doors moment.

Don’t forget we were getting Ginola after they had spat him out, they had Defoe, Keane and Bent, and van der Vaart when were dreaming about Defoe and Schneider when we ended up with Heskey and Reo-Coker. Not to mention Bale, Modric, Berbatov, Eriksen, Walker even Townsend and Lennon, and further back Kilinsman, Sheringham, Lineker and Gazza. For me they have had at least 30 years in the ascendency over us.

On a positive note, despite the Bentacur and Bissouma issue, we are very much on their coat tails and if we get a toe hold on Europe o think we will very much be fighting the same place in the league.

Spurs were bottom on 25/10 on 2 points when Ramos was sacked..yes they had won the League cup the season before but we were for all intents and purposes a long way ahead of them then.

39 minutes ago, thunderball said:

Sorry but I don’t ever remember being miles ahead of Tottenham, but I do remember briefly fighting over the same sort of place in the league during the MON era for a very short period, but we were very much behind them but at that time perhaps in the next tier below the big 3. But the London factor helped massively then, and very astute management. They have kicked on since then and we had fallen like a stone thanks to Lerner pulling the rug from under things. Small decisions but it could have been so different a real sliding doors moment.

Don’t forget we were getting Ginola after they had spat him out, they had Defoe, Keane and Bent, and van der Vaart when were dreaming about Defoe and Schneider when we ended up with Heskey and Reo-Coker. Not to mention Bale, Modric, Berbatov, Eriksen, Walker even Townsend and Lennon, and further back Kilinsman, Sheringham, Lineker and Gazza. For me they have had at least 30 years in the ascendency over us.

On a positive note, despite the Bentacur and Bissouma issue, we are very much on their coat tails and if we get a toe hold on Europe o think we will very much be fighting the same place in the league.

I have never really bought into that - especially as London is over saturated with teams in the Premier League. I agree with you that they have been well managed over the last twenty years, while we have been badly managed on the whole.

Edited by Villa_Vids

We were consistently ahead of Spurs in the mid to late 90’s and toe to toe with them in the MON era. We’ve never really been miles ahead of them. Some are sounding  like SHA fans when they finished above us for one season in their history. Let’s not get carried away lads! 

13 minutes ago, WHY said:

We were consistently ahead of Spurs in the mid to late 90’s and toe to toe with them in the MON era. We’ve never really been miles ahead of them. Some are sounding  like SHA fans when they finished above us for one season in their history. Let’s not get carried away lads! 

Spurs were a home banker throughout the 90s and we used to beat them away a lot too. 

Despite all their hot air, postering and bluster Spurs never win anything even if their fans have always thought they were Real Madrid, we used to be comfortably on the same level as them for years but the levels of incompetence and mismanagement since Randy lost interest has put us back decades. Everyone knew once they had a quality manager like Conte they would start to climb the table again, but with all that comes expectation and pressure and if they don't win something next season then it will all crash down again, as it has many times with them and their high profile managers. 

I don't think we can spend our way back to that level but buying proven quality seems a way to put us in the mix or close, we need a long term sustainable model which it is clear we are also trying to rejuvenate our youth systems.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

Do you not remember the 17 year period spanning 1992 to 2009?

I drank a lot and partied during those years, so it's a little hazy to be fair

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, useless said:

Spurs didn't finish in the top six in the Premier League era until 2006, that's more than ten years after the Premier League had formed, in the same period, 1992 to 2006, we had finished in the top six, six times, that's before you even get to the O'Neill era. I think sometimes people forget, that at one time it was quite normal for us to be in and around the top six, it's only been the last ten years that have changed the perception.

😠 Lerner! 

3 minutes ago, VillanousOne said:

Despite all their hot air, postering and bluster Spurs never win anything even if their fans have always thought they were Real Madrid, we used to be comfortably on the same level as them for years but the levels of incompetence and mismanagement since Randy lost interest has put us back decades. Everyone knew once they had a quality manager like Conte they would start to climb the table again, but with all that comes expectation and pressure and if they don't win something next season then it will all crash down again, as it has many times with them and their high profile managers. 

I don't think we can spend our way back to that level but buying proven quality seems a way to put us in the mix or close, we need a long term sustainable model which it is clear we are also trying to rejuvenate our youth systems.

NSWE have proven they will invest to move us forward, they will again if needs be.

3 minutes ago, Villa_Vids said:

NSWE have proven they will invest to move us forward, they will again if needs be.

Our problem is the barrier of FFP.  The European clubs are generating far more revenue than we are, the London clubs can generate bigger revenues so our model to compete with those clubs is investment from NSWE but that is limited by FFP and while we have headroom at the moment it's going to become an issue as we keep buying better players with fees and huge salaries unless we can get into Europe to increase the revenue side of the business and all that money it attracts.  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Our problem is the barrier of FFP.  The European clubs are generating far more revenue than we are, the London clubs can generate bigger revenues so our model to compete with those clubs is investment from NSWE but that is limited by FFP and while we have headroom at the moment it's going to become an issue as we keep buying better players with fees and huge salaries unless we can get into Europe to increase the revenue side of the business and all that money it attracts.  

This is correct and who knows if/when the crazy money they have put into us stops

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Fair comments. I agree. However, I think the club are attempting to grow us alongside our progress, stronger academy, stadium development and MLS franchise etc. I think they have planned a lot of this out regarding FFP, and will know what it takes to be a consistent top 6/4 side from a financial side. I trust them to deliver. They won't settle on failure imo.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, nick76 said:

It would take loads more than European football for villa to financially compete with the “big 6”. We also need that commercial revenue. “Visit Rwanda” kind of money. 

who would of guessed Arsenal would be the leading figures in the UK’s immigration policy. 

tbh it’s it’s not that surprising, it’s such an Arse thing to do

Edited by CarryOnVilla
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, paul514 said:

This is correct and who knows if/when the crazy money they have put into us stops

One of Lerner's mistakes was stopping investment in the playing side, especially when the TV deals were growing. Randy = 🤡.

Edited by Villa_Vids

20 minutes ago, Villa_Vids said:

Fair comments. I agree. However, I think the club are attempting to grow us alongside our progress, stronger academy, stadium development and MLS franchise etc. I think they have planned a lot of this out regarding FFP, and will know what it takes to be a consistent top 6/4 side from a financial side. I trust them to deliver. They won't settle on failure imo.

I agree, that European money is so big though and that's why I think they sacked Smith when they did and brought in Gerrard and also why I think we still have a s few transfer surprises to come before the season starts.  the owners know how big a prize Europe is money wise and we need to get there quickly given the field for European places is getting bigger with Newcastle new owners.

1 hour ago, VillanousOne said:

I agree with all of this except I think the  incompetence and mismanagement started during and not after Lerner’s ownership. Yes we had the Ellis corner shop mentality holding us back for years. But that was more of a trying to swim with one hand behind your back problem, under Lerner we were trying to swim with both arms cut off. Yes he put money in for the first few years, but there was never a proper plan or any sort of real business management structure in place. 

His first big mistake was to sack Steve Stride who’d run the club on Doug’s behalf for years and knew the place inside out. His second was not to attend a meeting with Graham Taylor, who had offered to help with football matters, which Lerner obviously knew nothing about. He was just a rich kid spending his Dad’s money. Imagine if we’d had our current owners, or someone similar, back then when the money was really starting to flow. Lerner did us massive damage that is still effecting us now. But we’re finally on the right track we hope.