Summer Transfer Window 2022

Loxstock92

We will be going big on a new striker and another midfielder regardless of what happens with Ings.

Besides I wouldn't read too much into Sky reporting that he's not for sale, if they ask the club the question we're hardly going to respond by saying that he's for sale, we will want it to be known that he's not for sale, so if a club is interested they won't be getting him cheaply.

• Like 1

Just now, Zatman said:

I would be shocked if we had 3 strikers that cost us over 30 million in the squad

I dont think another team in the league has a similarly priced strikeforce

Exactly.

Keep the two good strikers we’ve got, get a preseason of them playing together under the belt and bring in some youth prospect (I guess Wilson?).

Unless Ings/Watkins leave, we won’t be buying another first team striker IMO. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

8 minutes ago, Mazrim said:

Why not both? As options I mean. For that you need 4 players who can play #10 and at least 3 frontline strikers.

Buendia, Coutinho, Bailey/Traoré, Chuk/Ramsey

Watkins, Ings, Davis/Archer

I think whoever we sign, we need to manage the fall out of what is left behind carefully. 

Can't see us going big in either position really,  but if we do it would have to be really big to be worthwhile. 

5 minutes ago, Zatman said:

I would be shocked if we had 3 strikers that cost us over 30 million in the squad

I dont think another team in the league has a similarly priced strikeforce

Nah, they just have 1 costing 80m

13 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

Buendia, Coutinho, Bailey/Traoré, Chuk/Ramsey

Watkins, Ings, Davis/Archer

I think whoever we sign, we need to manage the fall out of what is left behind carefully. 

Can't see us going big in either position really,  but if we do it would have to be really big to be worthwhile. 

I agree. I think the plans are big.

I think we will go big on a striker though. And a number 8. 10 is sorted.

Edited by Mazrim

5 minutes ago, AshVilla said:

If we go into next season with Ings/Watkins we won't be finishing top 8 imo.

Much better required.

Same applies for Midfield.

Yeah, playing Ings / Watkins in midfield would be a terrible idea.

• Like 1

We need to sign a new CF to add to Watkins and Ings. Archer is only young and his development takes precedence over our current needs. 

We will play 2 up top in some games and one up top in others. So three senior CFs are needed. 

Ings and Watkins are definitely part of the plans. Their combined form when playing together on the final 14 games of the season has been very productive. 

3 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

I hear lots about number 6s and number 8s, what is a number 7?

If this is a serious question, then usually (in British tradition at least) a 7 is a right winger and an 11 is a left winger. Nothing to do with politics.

2 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

I hear lots about number 6s and number 8s, what is a number 7?

Old school right winger that hugs the touchline and gets chalk on his feet. 

11 being the left sided equivalent. 

Not sure anyone refers to a player as a 7 or an 11 these days.  Aside from the 6/8/9/10 the others don't get much of a look in. 

17 minutes ago, useless said:

We will be going big on a new striker and another midfielder regardless of what happens with Ings.

Besides I wouldn't read too much into Sky reporting that he's not for sale, if they ask the club the question we're hardly going to respond by saying that he's for sale, we will want it to be known that he's not for sale, so if a club is interested they won't be getting him cheaply.

This is typical of what Liverpool do, insist players aren't for sale and that they're part of the plans and then eventually over charge for them.

There was even a story recently about Gerrard seeing Davis as part of the first team squad next season, could be true, but again probably more likely that it's us not wanting to come across as desperate to sell.

6 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

Old school right winger that hugs the touchline and gets chalk on his feet. 

11 being the left sided equivalent. 

Not sure anyone refers to a player as a 7 or an 11 these days.  Aside from the 6/8/9/10 the others don't get much of a look in. 

somebody on Talksport other day told Simon Jordan that Harry Maguire was a very good but out of form number 5

Though No. 5 in Argentina is more of a defensive midfielder like Mascherano

• Like 1

Sorry for being an old fart.....I understand what a no.1, 9 and 10 are but what is a no.8 ??

God be with the days of such terminology like centre half, winger, full back, etc...