Summer Transfer Window 2022

Loxstock92

On 04/06/2022 at 14:25, Blue Scouse said:

Mate don't put Newcastle anywhere mine or your club in terms of size and stature they are a nothing club not even close to Everton or Villa.

The last time they won the FA cup was 1955 and the last time they won the league 1927. (95 years ago haha)

I laugh when geordies try to create a rivalry with us. 

I get your sentiment...but I have a suspicion, they will be punching high, with the resources they have.....and sadly we have to compete with that.

So far, we have managed to do well in the T/market.....but of course that has to manifest itself in to results.

7 minutes ago, sne said:

Me neither but I suspect Gomez is more expensive.

I would think so but it would seem a no brainer at sub 15m for example

Edited by paul514

I love the signings we have made so far..Im sure we will create even more chances than we did last season with a shored up defence and a proper DM in midfield ,but unless something is drastically done with our forwards i think we will struggle for goals again.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, paul514 said:

Nothing impressive in his data unlike that Sergio Gomez

Suppose the difference is Gomez came through at Barca and Dortmund as an attacking midfielder and has shone so much in Anderlecht as a left back in a poor league.

Technically he will be superior, for sure. But doing it in a poor league it may well be his defending is very poor and he wouldn't translate to a PL fullback. He may be fantastic and he certainly sounds the most exciting of the two. But he could just as easily be a Kamikaze fullback who can't defend, able to smash the Belgian league in offense just as Samatta and Wesley have before as strikers.

Merlin however plays in a Top 5 league (albeit the worst of the 5) and has had decent stats out of it and OK attacking output. It's more obvious that you can compare his experience to Villa (Guilbert etc).

I've never seen either play, as a backup to someone like Digne, we can take a bit of a risk. I'd be more confident in Merlin stepping in but more excited for the potential of Gomez.

As a luxury backup, I'd not be much bothered either way and nice to see us looking at progressive, young options

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, HalfTimePost said:

Suppose the difference is Gomez came through at Barca and Dortmund as an attacking midfielder and has shone so much in Anderlecht as a left back in a poor league.

Technically he will be superior, for sure. But doing it in a poor league it may well be his defending is very poor and he wouldn't translate to a PL fullback. He may be fantastic and he certainly sounds the most exciting of the two. But he could just as easily be a Kamikaze fullback who can't defend, able to smash the Belgian league in offense just as Samatta and Wesley have before as strikers.

Merlin however plays in a Top 5 league (albeit the worst of the 5) and has had decent stats out of it and OK attacking output. It's more obvious that you can compare his experience to Villa (Guilbert etc).

I've never seen either play, as a backup to someone like Digne, we can take a bit of a risk. I'd be more confident in Merlin stepping in but more excited for the potential of Gomez.

As a luxury backup, I'd not be much bothered either way and nice to see us looking at progressive, young options

One Belgian team was in Europe after Christmas and were knocked out by the first opponents they played 

Belgian League is currently the 13th ranked league in Europe so would need more evidence if Gomez would be able to step up, obviously same with Merlin 

25 minutes ago, OLDVILLAIN said:

I love the signings we have made so far..Im sure we will create even more chances than we did last season with a shored up defence and a proper DM in midfield ,but unless something is drastically done with our forwards i think we will struggle for goals again.

I dunno about that. They both missed a few sitters last season, but have both proved they can score more in the past. Being less isolated, with a more solid spine the creative players should provide more. We weren't far off in goals for, it was more goals against that did for us. I'd be OK relying on them and investing elsewhere. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

What's happened to Ampadu?

Has he left Chelsea permanently yet?

I remember at one point he was extremely highly rated as a CDM/CB hybrid.

Has he gone to shite since he shaved off his Mane?

He's proving to be an old school CB. Useful defensively, but hasn't shown much ability with the ball at his feet, so he's never going to play at Chelsea. He'd be a good fit for a team like Burnley.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, HalfTimePost said:

Left field enough I kind of believe it. Even if it's from The Mirror

Exactly the kind of player we should be looking at to backup Digne. A lot of the same qualities. Probably not somebody we want to depend on to play major minutes right away, but somebody who could learn from Digne and eventually push him for the starting job.

I suspect its all in the game 

We are currently negotiating for 1 left back and then using the media to link us to several other left backs to aid our stance 

Same as the links with tarkowski and Botman while signing Carlos 

46 minutes ago, OLDVILLAIN said:

Yep, for me we need a CF and another midfielder.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, CarryOnVilla said:

How the hell have we become a club that has done most of our summer businesses before the official transfer window opens? 

it feels pretty good being this efficient

EhuCpuWXcAEnBHK.jpg

Without bursting your bubble but in 2013 we got all our business done but one before the window opened and we had similar giddyness

Obviously this is a better quality of signing than Bacuna and Tonev etc

22 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

I suspect its all in the game 

We are currently negotiating for 1 left back and then using the media to link us to several other left backs to aid our stance 

Same as the links with tarkowski and Botman while signing Carlos 

EA SPORTS…