Summer Transfer Window 2022

Loxstock92

1 minute ago, HeyAnty said:

Bassey int a premiership player at moment.  Imo he will go the same way Micah Richard's did.  All muscle and speed that generally gets him out of a bind after an initial mistake.  

Tell me you've never seen Bassey play without telling me you've never seen Bassey play.

Bassey int a premiership player at moment.  Imo he will go the same way Micah Richard's did.  All muscle and speed that generally gets him out of a bind after an initial mistake.  

Depends on the price though for me.

At £10-15m would he be an upgrade on Hause and more able to deputise Digne than Hause is? Probably and if he's just 'OK' at this level, that's probably good enough if we also recoup £7-10m for Hause.

At the quoted £25m though, yeah it's a waste of money and that should be a starting player and Bassey is better than neither Mings or Digne.

9 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

We can still upgrade them. We finished 14th with those existing options. We need better

Yeah I get the feeling the "he'll do" attitude is no longer going to cut it

As someone said on the previous page Gerrard knows what he wants and appears to be quite open about getting it as he doesn't think all the players in the squad are up to it.

Judging by the signings so far (Digne, Coutinho, Kamara, Carlos) they are a cut above what we are used to. I suspect we break our transfer record and sign at least 3 more players (CB-M-CF).

Edited by Anything11
  • Like 3

19 minutes ago, lexicon said:

We're not going to be signing players of their quality who will happily sit on the bench. The depth argument is redundant as there's always a 'well what if they get injured?' hypothetical - you can't just sign a million players. 

Nobody is asking for a million players but it goes back to the same argument last summer in the Tammy thread.  

Forget Tammy, this isn’t about him but the argument at the time was we didn’t need another striker, that Ollie was super human I think one commentator said and has had no injuries in his history and not only that he will play every game and will continue improving and be an elite striker.  

Well that came to a crashing halt when he got injured in preseason and missed the first few games and been at best inconsistent all season, in fact poor in some games and certainly nowhere last seasons performance.  He’s had some good performances as well but thank god we brought in Ings, just a shame he’s had a mixed bag of a season as well.

Added to that we need quality options because of injuries, form, formations depending on who we play.  Getting 7th or above is not just about the first XI but the next group because to achieve the higher placing you need consistency otherwise you slip away quickly.  The one thing about this team pre Kamara and Carlos is that it’s anything but consistent.

Bassey wouldn't just be an upgrade on Hause in terms of challenging Digne, he would seriously challenge Digne  as first choice left back. There seems to be a perception that Bassey is a central defender that can play left back, but it's very much the other way around, he's a modern day fullback.

2 hours ago, duke313 said:

Watkins and McGinn aren't going to be sold as part of a clearout though. They are some of the few players who could play for a team at the higher end of the table

They could play for a team higher up, but so could Martinez and our full backs Digne and Cash. Diego Carlos and Boubacar Kamara definitely could too, plus Ramsey and obviously Coutinho and Buendia. You got the best part of an XI there belonging higher up the table.

West Ham have standout players too but not as many IMO.

2 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Nobody is asking for a million players but it goes back to the same argument last summer in the Tammy thread.  

Forget Tammy, this isn’t about him but the argument at the time was we didn’t need another striker, that Ollie was super human I think one commentator said and has had no injuries in his history and not only that he will play every game and will continue improving and be an elite striker.  

Well that came to a crashing halt when he got injured in preseason and missed the first few games and been at best inconsistent all season, in fact poor in some games and certainly nowhere last seasons performance.  He’s had some good performances as well but thank god we brought in Ings, just a shame he’s had a mixed bag of a season as well.

Added to that we need quality options because of injuries, form, formations depending on who we play.  Getting 7th or above is not just about the first XI but the next group because to achieve the higher placing you need consistency otherwise you slip away quickly.  The one thing about this team pre Kamara and Carlos is that it’s anything but consistent.

Tammy was never going to be signed to be back up or a rotation option and he wasn't/isn't an upgrade on Watkins. The point is to be realistic about players who aren't first choice.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, lexicon said:

A totally unrealistic expectation. 

How can u say it is unrealistic when the manager and owners have just added Kamara, Coutinho and Carlos to the squad which follows on from Digne and Chambers in Jan. The have shown us that they are recruiting quality. It is not unrealistic to expect them to upgrade Nakamba and some other fringe players

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, HeyAnty said:

Bassey int a premiership player at moment.

He has does very well in the Premiership this season so he is, Premier League however...

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

I disagree, we don't want a million players but I do want 24. There is no reason why we can't sign Bissouma, Bassy, Tarkowski and a striker. That would make us so much stronger and give us much more depth

So, Bissy, Bassy, Tarky and a new striky. Would make me a happy pappy. 🍺

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, HeyAnty said:

I agree, but he looks like he would be a nice buy for the future. We would be a better backup LB than we currently have and as mentioned he can also play as CB if required. He would be an upgrade on Hause imo and one that has a lot of potential uplift in the future too

2 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

I agree, but he looks like he would be a nice buy for the future. We would be a better backup LB than we currently have and as mentioned he can also play as CB if required. He would be an upgrade on Hause imo and one that has a lot of potential uplift in the future too

He might be, but we can’t pay 15-20m for someone as backup.  That’s what rangers would be looking.  Id rather give youth a chance.  

He might be, but we can’t pay 15-20m for someone as backup.  That’s what rangers would be looking.  Id rather give youth a chance.  

I get where u are coming from but Bassy would be a step up from a youth player. He is 22 and has played for Rangers for 2 seasons and had a very successful Europa campaign getting MOTM in the final. I agree he is not PL ready yet but he can't be too far off it. I would be much more comfortable having him on the bench than a youth player. As regards spending 25m. Yes, it is a lot for a backup but if the club is willing to spend it I am happy for them to do so

28 minutes ago, lexicon said:

Tammy was never going to be signed to be back up or a rotation option and he wasn't/isn't an upgrade on Watkins.

Well we’ll have to agree to disagree on Tammy, he’s an upgrade on Watkins especially this last season.

29 minutes ago, lexicon said:

The point is to be realistic about players who aren't first choice.

The point is that the board have brought in Gerrard to get European football.  The point is that consistency and quality is key to getting European places.  This team finished 14th because of lack of quality and consistency, and adding two quality players isn’t going to dramatically change that enough!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CarryOnVilla said:

It’s Gregg Evens… he’s like us waiting for what comes later. 

he knows nothing 

Except for being the person who said all along Villa would sell Grealish if an offer of £100m came in. So aside from being as bang on accurate about the biggest deal in the clubs history. Potentially he doesn't know much.

What The Athletic have is a good network and they will share between their team information that comes out from selling clubs and buying clubs. fwiw Gregg consistently linked us to Kamara, Bissouma and Phillips as our CDM options and we signed one of them. So it'll be interesting to read about left side of defence, assume Hickey / Bassey are the two.

2 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Well we’ll have to agree to disagree on Tammy, he’s an upgrade on Watkins especially this last season.

The point is that the board have brought in Gerrard to get European football.  The point is that consistency and quality is key to getting European places.  This team finished 14th because of lack of quality and consistency, and adding two quality players isn’t going to dramatically change that enough!

FFS Nick, I am actively looking at each new post you make looking for something that I vehemently disagree with but I agree with all of your posts. What has happened to us? 🤣

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

FFS Nick, I am actively looking at each new post you make looking for something that I vehemently disagree with but I agree with all of your posts. What has happened to us? 🤣

Maturing in our old age 😂