Loxstock92

Just now, HalfTimePost said:

ah missed out the interesting part! 

🤔 wonder what's later?

- Bassey done?

- Carlos fell through?

- Hause sold?

- Botman?

It’s Gregg Evens… he’s like us waiting for what comes later. 

he knows nothing 

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

Hope he has made a huge friendship with Cash since he started playing for Poland, that he is a secret obsessive fan of SG, and that he wants to challenge himself in the PL.

It's not happening, but it's nice to dream

Has anyone told him about our proud history? 

Just now, CarryOnVilla said:

It’s Gregg Evens… he’s like us waiting for what comes later. 

he knows nothing 

He doesn't promise something like that without knowing he's dropping something later.

It may well.not be a confirmed deal. But he clearly has some kind of article coming out today about our left sided defender search.

We get spoiled with secretive deals being announced from nowhere - but I'll settle for more of an understanding of whether we're after a Fullback or a replacement for either Mings or Hause.

Interested to see what he puts out

5 minutes ago, HalfTimePost said:

He doesn't promise something like that without knowing he's dropping something later.

It may well.not be a confirmed deal. But he clearly has some kind of article coming out today about our left sided defender search.

We get spoiled with secretive deals being announced from nowhere - but I'll settle for more of an understanding of whether we're after a Fullback or a replacement for either Mings or Hause.

Interested to see what he puts out

In short his article probably starts with a how well we done in the window so far… then talks about a potential weakness of our left side… he suggests some players and concludes with Bassey being the best option. 

• Like 1

Just now, CarryOnVilla said:

In short his article probably starts with a how well we done in the window so far… then talks about a potential weakness of our left side… he suggests some players and concludes with Bassey being the best option. 

That's my assumption too. Like most if his articles. The only journalist that knows any goings on at Villa is still Percy. The rest know nothing. The only thing Evans knew is about Grealish's release clause.

1 minute ago, CarryOnVilla said:

Don't think I've ever seen someone rubbish an article that isn't yet published, sucks the joy out of being on here when nothing can be exciting, always someone knocking around to challenge every bit of news.

Tiring

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Pissflaps said:

That's my assumption too. Like most if his articles. The only journalist that knows any goings on at Villa is still Percy. The rest know nothing. The only thing Evans knew is about Grealish's release clause.

And he found that out from that Sam Lee twit 

• Like 1

Don't think it'd make sense for Tarkowski or any other right footed CB to come in now, at least not unless another left. I know Carlos has played on the left of CB for Sevilla but assuming Kamara comes in and plays similarly to Luiz in terms of dropping between the defenders who then push wide in build-up then it makes sense to not have a player on their wrong side and instead be looking at a Bassey or whoever to cover/compete with Mings.

Edited by Indigo

Botman would come straight into the team at left centre back, whereas Bassey would be behind both Carlos and Mngs for that position. In other words it doesn't make sense that we want either Botman or Bassey as they completely different profiles, one is a highly rated first choice centre back, the other is a player that can do a job at centre back but it's at left back where he's  excelled and I suspect that that's the position we would be buying him for.

out of the two i imagine it's Bassey we want and journalists are getting mixed up by which position he plays because of having to fill in in central defence owing to injuries.

1 minute ago, HalfTimePost said:

Don't think I've ever seen someone rubbish an article that isn't yet published, sucks the joy out of being on here when nothing can be exciting, always someone knocking around to challenge every bit of news.

Tiring

I’m being cynical for entertainment sake. Don’t take me serious

Gregg is a great at telling Villa stories, but not so much with investigative stories.  What’s a smidge frustrating in transfer season

• Like 2

2 hours ago, nick76 said:

IMO they aren’t. I think adding Kamara and Carlos was excellent but they aren’t alone enough to push us to close to top 7 based on what we have been seeing on the pitch.

I agree, also, we don't have the depth to cope with injuries for a sustained push. If we lost Kamara and Carlos through injury we are basically back to last year's team. Another CB, another DM, back up LB and a clinical striker are needed before Villa can dream about competing at the business end of the league. It is getting depth of quality in these position which will make us more consistent 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

I agree, also, we don't have the depth to cope with injuries for a sustained push. If we lost Kamara and Carlos through injury we are basically back to last year's team. Another CB, another DM, back up LB and a clinical striker are needed before Villa can dream about competing at the business end of the league. It is getting depth of quality in these position which will make us more consistent 

We're not going to be signing players of their quality who will happily sit on the bench. The depth argument is redundant as there's always a 'well what if they get injured?' hypothetical - you can't just sign a million players. 

Just now, lexicon said:

We're not going to be signing players of their quality who will happily sit on the bench. The depth argument is redundant as there's always a 'well what if they get injured?' hypothetical - you can't just sign a million players. 

It's almost like Nakamba no longer exists. He's not perfect by a long stretch but as a back up to Kamara he will do. Hopefully we wouldn't need to call on him too much, there's also the option of Tim.

• Like 1

Just now, daggy_333 said:

It's almost like Nakamba no longer exists. He's not perfect by a long stretch but as a back up to Kamara he will do. Hopefully we wouldn't need to call on him too much, there's also the option of Tim.

Exactly. Our existing options are absolutely fine as rotation players. 

13 minutes ago, lexicon said:

I disagree, we don't want a million players but I do want 24. There is no reason why we can't sign Bissouma, Bassy, Tarkowski and a striker. That would make us so much stronger and give us much more depth

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I like versatile players. Bassey can play left back and centre back. Makes a lot of sense.

Bassey int a premiership player at moment.  Imo he will go the same way Micah Richard's did.  All muscle and speed that generally gets him out of a bind after an initial mistake.