Summer Transfer Window 2022

Loxstock92

3 minutes ago, VillaParkAvenue said:

If SG can judge a player after just one quick look, then why have I read reports he signed 30+ players at Rangers before he got it right? I hope he gets it right sooner here.

He is a shoot first ask questions later style of manager 

39 minutes ago, nick76 said:

IMO they aren’t. I think adding Kamara and Carlos was excellent but they aren’t alone enough to push us to close to top 7 based on what we have been seeing on the pitch.

Really?  I think most people would say we had a fairly disappointing season given (not a disaster, not good) given our league position and yet we were 11 points off 7th.  Only Norwich, Watford and Everton lost more games than us.  This team easily has enough in them to turn some of those losses into wins.  Let's say... we beat Watford twice instead of losing twice and we manage to hold on for a win against Wolves.  All of a sudden, that has us right in the mix.

You're saying you don't think this team, with Kamara and Carlos added, could achieve that?

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, VillaParkAvenue said:

Most of them would get into West Hams team, their squad is with a few exceptions mostly mediocre. That’s probably why they’re rumoured to be after players many Villa fans demand we sell (McGinn, Watkins).

Watkins and McGinn aren't going to be sold as part of a clearout though. They are some of the few players who could play for a team at the higher end of the table

Just now, bobzy said:

Really?  I think most people would say we had a fairly disappointing season given (not a disaster, not good) given our league position and yet we were 11 points off 7th.  Only Norwich, Watford and Everton lost more games than us.  This team easily has enough in them to turn some of those losses into wins.  Let's say... we beat Watford twice instead of losing twice and we manage to hold on for a win against Wolves.  All of a sudden, that has us right in the mix.

You're saying you don't think this team, with Kamara and Carlos added, could achieve that?

I think most people would say we aren’t good enough to get a European place yet, most people would say we should be aiming for a European place but we are likely a top ten place team.  You only have to read the thread I created that goes at this very topic to see this is what people are saying.  I believe at the moment if everything went our way, we had a lucky season, Gerrard’s coaching was a lot better than this season, Kamara and Carlos hit the ground running, we are lucky with injuries and some of the other teams had a poor season then we could get seventh.  As we know the chances of all them happening are unlikely.  I think we have to target 60 points as 6th and 7th place was low points this season, so that was a big miss for us.  60 points is a huge target for us.

47 minutes ago, Condimentalist said:

Assuming Carlos is done I'd say we need one more DM/CM (Bissouma would be ideal) and maybe a third striker (could be Suarez) and that's really it.

If Targett goes then Bassey looks a good replacement, but I think there will be far more movement out than in from here.

I can't see us making a record signing or anything like that - only if someone was to buy Ings but even then unlikely. 

Doesn't sound like that's enough to me, albeit I wouldn't complain because finally, we'll have addressed the central midfield area!

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

Push for maybe but we'd be in the same group as West Ham, Wolves, Leicester, maybe Newcastle if they spend well - we're not better than them on paper

7th will be tough this year 

Newcastle have got their dirty money to spend, but they will have to sign a lot of players and to make some very astute signings, to look a better team than us on paper at the end of the transfer window. I agree that that is the group that we will probably be in, but having looked at the signings that we have already made, I think we will be at least a match for any of them at the end of the window. The problem is that football is not played on paper, or we would have been among this group last season;)

7 minutes ago, nick76 said:

I think most people would say we aren’t good enough to get a European place yet, most people would say we should be aiming for a European place but we are likely a top ten place team.  You only have to read the thread I created that goes at this very topic to see this is what people are saying.  I believe at the moment if everything went our way, we had a lucky season, Gerrard’s coaching was a lot better than this season, Kamara and Carlos hit the ground running, we are lucky with injuries and some of the other teams had a poor season then we could get seventh.  As we know the chances of all them happening are unlikely.  I think we have to target 60 points as 6th and 7th place was low points this season, so that was a big miss for us.  60 points is a huge target for us.

That's probably just pessimism based on where we finished this season.  At the start of the season, a fair amount of people probably said we should challenge for European places :D 

I think, if you take our squad and line it up with those clubs we'd likely be challenging (West Ham, Leicester, Wolves, Newcastle) most would say we're at least on par (on paper).  I think only Leicester have an arguably better strike force (and I think that's close tbh).  Midfield wise, we're better centrally in attack than everyone but most play with wide forwards.  Buendia and Coutinho certainly up there quality wise with, say, Maddison, Saint-Maximin, Podence, Barnes, Fornals etc as a loose comparison - whoever the teams play as attacking mids/wide forwards.  Deeper in midfield, West Ham are very solid, Leicester have a nice mix of creativity and tenacity, Wolves more technically gifted and Newcastle a proper grafting midfield but mostly down to Joelinton.  Again, I don't think we're behind any of those sides here.  It's all pretty close.  In defence on paper, I think we're probably on par with them all apart from Newcastle who fall a little bit behind.

Obviously on paper doesn't win games, but I think it shows more that we need a couple of key players rather than another squad overhaul.  We've actually signed players in the 2 positions that most people wanted us to recruit into (DM and DC).  Maybe another midfielder or top striker if there's some movement up front, but I think we basically just need to work on the decent team we have and iron out those moments of weakness as best as we can. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

Push for maybe but we'd be in the same group as West Ham, Wolves, Leicester, maybe Newcastle if they spend well - we're not better than them on paper

7th will be tough this year 

See above post :D  But yeah, I don't see those sides as being much better than us on paper, if at all.

1 minute ago, bobzy said:

That's probably just pessimism based on where we finished this season.  At the start of the season, a fair amount of people probably said we should challenge for European places :D 

I think, if you take our squad and line it up with those clubs we'd likely be challenging (West Ham, Leicester, Wolves, Newcastle) most would say we're at least on par (on paper).  I think only Leicester have an arguably better strike force (and I think that's close tbh).  Midfield wise, we're better centrally in attack than everyone but most play with wide forwards.  Buendia and Coutinho certainly up there quality wise with, say, Maddison, Saint-Maximin, Podence, Barnes, Fornals etc as a loose comparison - whoever the teams play as attacking mids/wide forwards.  Deeper in midfield, West Ham are very solid, Leicester have a nice mix of creativity and tenacity, Wolves more technically gifted and Newcastle a proper grafting midfield but mostly down to Joelinton.  Again, I don't think we're behind any of those sides here.  It's all pretty close.  In defence on paper, I think we're probably on par with them all apart from Newcastle who fall a little bit behind.

Obviously on paper doesn't win games, but I think it shows more that we need a couple of key players rather than another squad overhaul.  We've actually signed players in the 2 positions that most people wanted us to recruit into (DM and DC).  Maybe another midfielder or top striker if there's some movement up front, but I think we basically just need to work on the decent team we have and iron out those moments of weakness as best as we can. 

It’s a good assessment but I think the parts we are missing is the difference between 7th and 9th.  We need another midfielder, ideally somebody like Bissouma and then a striker.  I think mentally we aren’t strong enough, we have a soft underbelly and while Kamara and Carlos hopefully will improve that I think we need more.  I think we lack that cutting edge up front and I’m not sure we have that in the squad. I think on paper we look good but on the pitch it’s obvious we are missing parts and some of that can be fixed by coaching and some needs different bodies which I don’t think we have yet.

36 minutes ago, Tommo_b said:

Lewandoski, Neymar and Isco on the list right?

Short of kidnapping a member of his family what would be our other options be for getting Lewandowski to sign? 

Asking for a scouse friend. 

Edited by villaglint
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, villaglint said:

Short of kidnapping a member of his family what would be our other options for getting Lewandowski to sign? 

Asking for a scouse friend. 

Hope he has made a huge friendship with Cash since he started playing for Poland, that he is a secret obsessive fan of SG, and that he wants to challenge himself in the PL.

It's not happening, but it's nice to dream

8 minutes ago, WallisFrizz said:

Tom Ross? The definition of a bottom tier source! He maybe correct but not because any contacts with the Villa but guess work.

I'd tend to ignore anything massive Bluenose Tom Ross says.

I don't think we'll sign either of those players but there was definitely interest there. Tarkowski has been linked by the world's best tap-in merchants in Percy and Fabrizio. We know there was interest, but he's more likely to choose Everton and probably wasn't at the top of our lists. An enquiry or a chat with the agent. Not a top target but would be silly of us to never explore it as he's on a free.

Koulibaly, I don't believe we ever stood a chance, but mental to say we aren't interested. We're interested in Koulibaly in the same way I'm interested in Scarlett Johansson. It'll never happen but you will never see me saying no to it.

Edited by HalfTimePost
  • Like 1

Just now, HalfTimePost said:

ah missed out the interesting part! 

🤔 wonder what's later?

- Bassey done?

- Carlos fell through?

- Hause sold?

- Botman?

Botman would be the dream. Bassey would be an excellent alternative. Carlos is completed, sure of that.