Summer Transfer Window 2022

Loxstock92

I wonder if we’re going to break our transfer record again… maybe we’ll just keep being savvy and continue to pursue bargain deals but it’s far too early to tell…

Coutinho, Kamara (especially, could we continue to exploit the free transfer market?) and even Carlos have been superb transfers…

If we do, I have no idea in what position we would spend so heavily on… 

I mean, we need to get the best out of the players we spent so much on last time anyway (we haven’t even got close although Buendia showed his quality at times, what a player he is and can be for us). I’d be happy for us to move Ings on (swap for Bissouma would be ideal) and bring in someone of higher quality and more reliability (someone younger who we could rely on for the long term would be nice too) but on the other hand he could be firing on all cylinders next season…Bailey can be a special player for us, just needs to get/stay fit and find form…

It’s likely to be completely dependent on sales, if we bring in some decent fees and free up some space it would allow us to at least bring in one star/expensive signing.

I just find it quite hard to predict how much we will spend and who our targets will be. The window’s not even opened yet and we have until September to close deals…

• Like 2

I doubt we'll do too much more with in-comings maybe one or two, as the squad team still look like they need to gel and get used to a way of playing. Signing too many in one window sets that back for a fair few months. We now already have a solid spine with some qulaity around it. Yes, there are a couple of positions where an upgrade is needed, but I think we need to be deeper rather than bigger in terms of what we have.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, peterw said:

I doubt we'll do too much more with in-comings maybe one or two, as the squad team still look like they need to gel and get used to a way of playing. Signing too many in one window sets that back for a fair few months. We now already have a solid spine with some qulaity around it. Yes, there are a couple of positions where an upgrade is needed, but I think we need to be deeper rather than bigger in terms of what we have.

I’m not sure I agree. You may well be right of course, but if we want to challenge the top 6, then we need to be ruthless. This idea that we can’t bring too many in, in one window as it will upset the balance of the team or it’s just too much disruption, is not something I agree with. At the end of the day, the management team will have a fair idea now about who is and isn’t good enough. I don’t see the point in waiting to replace them or moving them on if we have the financial means to do so. 

I hope to see three more starters come in. At the very least, I feel we need another defensive midfielder and centre back. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, peterw said:

Couldn’t disagree more.  If we want to be around 10th then fine but if we are targeting or at least aiming higher then we need to do more business and improve some more of the first XI.  The same team of last season plus Carlos and Kamara won’t be sufficient.  I’m not sure deeper squad is what we need, we need to strengthen the first XI.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Jas10 said:

I wonder if we’re going to break our transfer record again… maybe we’ll just keep being savvy and continue to pursue bargain deals but it’s far too early to tell…

Coutinho, Kamara (especially, could we continue to exploit the free transfer market?) and even Carlos have been superb transfers…

If we do, I have no idea in what position we would spend so heavily on… 

I mean, we need to get the best out of the players we spent so much on last time anyway (we haven’t even got close although Buendia showed his quality at times, what a player he is and can be for us). I’d be happy for us to move Ings on (swap for Bissouma would be ideal) and bring in someone of higher quality and more reliability (someone younger who we could rely on for the long term would be nice too) but on the other hand he could be firing on all cylinders next season…Bailey can be a special player for us, just needs to get/stay fit and find form…

It’s likely to be completely dependent on sales, if we bring in some decent fees and free up some space it would allow us to at least bring in one star/expensive signing.

I just find it quite hard to predict how much we will spend and who our targets will be. The window’s not even opened yet and we have until September to close deals…

I think it be wise not to give Brighton a proven quality striker, I’d rather just give them cash…. Or Keinan.

10 minutes ago, Tommo_b said:

I think it be wise not to give Brighton a proven quality striker, I’d rather just give them cash…. Or Keinan.

I think Ings stays unless we can land a top striker - not counting Suarez as that player. LB, CB, CM and probably Suarez to come in, imo. The big money on a CM (still think SG wants Phillips). 

1 minute ago, Awol said:

I think Ings stays unless we can land a top striker - not counting Suarez as that player. LB, CB, CM and probably Suarez to come in, imo. The big money on a CM (still think SG wants Phillips). 

I agree with this. I do wonder if Bassey is being brought in to cover both and we’re starting with Mings and Carlos. Personally, I’d like Tarkowski to play alongside Carlos with Mings as the first reserve. Bassey can then come in and deputise across the board. We could potentially even loan him back for a year if we’re happy with Young to deputise for Digne.

Agreed re. Phillips, albeit I think he’ll cost too much and not sure he’ll want to join us. I imagine he’d cost £50m. 

1 hour ago, nick76 said:

Couldn’t disagree more.  If we want to be around 10th then fine but if we are targeting or at least aiming higher then we need to do more business and improve some more of the first XI.  The same team of last season plus Carlos and Kamara won’t be sufficient.  I’m not sure deeper squad is what we need, we need to strengthen the first XI.

Our current first team is good enough to push for top 7 IMO.

Gerrard is a cheque book manager. And i do not mean that in a negative way. He is going to spend every penny the board give him to improve the squad and then plead for more. 

From reading stuff about him it seems that he can judge a player from the first time he seems them in the flesh. Doesnt need months of working with them . Whether thats him being arrogant or not, he does work like that so its pretty much game over for some of our players. 

6 months in and i can imagine he has made his decisions on all the players. Those he wants rid of right now because of mentality and ability, Those he can keep for further seasons that he feels he can improve on and off the training pitch , and those he likes and feels he can build around. 

This summer will be a major rebuild imo to get more of his players with the mentality and skillset he wants . 

No idea who he will buy but i am confident our transfer record will be broken and that someone will be sold that we did not see coming. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bobzy said:

Push for maybe but we'd be in the same group as West Ham, Wolves, Leicester, maybe Newcastle if they spend well - we're not better than them on paper

7th will be tough this year 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, bobzy said:

IMO they aren’t. I think adding Kamara and Carlos was excellent but they aren’t alone enough to push us to close to top 7 based on what we have been seeing on the pitch.

Edited by nick76

5 minutes ago, MWARLEY2 said:

Gerrard is a cheque book manager. And i do not mean that in a negative way. He is going to spend every penny the board give him to improve the squad and then plead for more. 

From reading stuff about him it seems that he can judge a player from the first time he seems them in the flesh. Doesnt need months of working with them . Whether thats him being arrogant or not, he does work like that so its pretty much game over for some of our players. 

6 months in and i can imagine he has made his decisions on all the players. Those he wants rid of right now because of mentality and ability, Those he can keep for further seasons that he feels he can improve on and off the training pitch , and those he likes and feels he can build around. 

This summer will be a major rebuild imo to get more of his players with the mentality and skillset he wants . 

No idea who he will buy but i am confident our transfer record will be broken and that someone will be sold that we did not see coming. 

If that's what it's gonna take to get us into Europe then that's what has to be done.  We have a lot of sentiment for some of these players, due to getting promotion and staying up.  But how many of them would get into West Ham or Arsenal teams? Not many.  

Assuming Carlos is done I'd say we need one more DM/CM (Bissouma would be ideal) and maybe a third striker (could be Suarez) and that's really it.

If Targett goes then Bassey looks a good replacement, but I think there will be far more movement out than in from here.

I can't see us making a record signing or anything like that - only if someone was to buy Ings but even then unlikely. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, duke313 said:

If that's what it's gonna take to get us into Europe then that's what has to be done.  We have a lot of sentiment for some of these players, due to getting promotion and staying up.  But how many of them would get into West Ham or Arsenal teams? Not many.  

Most of them would get into West Hams team, their squad is with a few exceptions mostly mediocre. That’s probably why they’re rumoured to be after players many Villa fans demand we sell (McGinn, Watkins).

20 minutes ago, MWARLEY2 said:

If SG can judge a player after just one quick look, then why have I read reports he signed 30+ players at Rangers before he got it right? I hope he gets it right sooner here.

• Like 1