Summer Transfer Window 2022

Loxstock92

6 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Milner and Young wow just Wow 

Its like stepping into a time machine. Maybe we can also bring in Heskey and James Collins 

But not Stewart Downing. 

Stewart Downing can **** off! :)

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

hmmm Milner? Dunno about that one really. Big fat meh. Can understand why we'd want him tho. 

Squad player.  Bags and bags of experience. Model pro.  Would be fine with a bit-part role. Great role model for younger players.

In terms of squad depth, it's difficult to find an elite-level player who is/would be content to be a backup.  I'd rather have a James Milner or an Ashley Young than pay silly money for a younger (mid-20s) player who would be unhappy and who's value would decrease if not getting significant playing time.  We only have to look at Targett as an example of the type of player who'd not be content in such a role.  It's all well and good having depth, but if 5/6 members of the squad are unhappy that's not good. 

Let's not forget we have an assistant manager that was playing in a very good Dippers team at the age of 38 and I see Milner as a similar type as Gary Mac in terms of still being supremely fit......  Lampard played an important/similar role at Citeh for a season at a similar age..... 

8 minutes ago, est1874 said:

Thanks for sharing this. Doesn't surprise me in the least - both of them always struck me as gents, and two ex-Villans of recent times whose hands I'd still care to shake.

I know that it was a footballing decision, but it always broke my heart a little that we didn't keep Stan Petrov around on a short-term/part-time deal when he came back to train with us and wanted to play again.

He'd likely have never played more than 30 minutes of football that season, if any, but it would have been a nice touch from the club still. Obviously a Di Matteo decision, and the less said about that the better.

Have bags of time for both Petrov and Milner, always will.

I'll never forgive DiMatteo and Xia for that decision.  Not only did Stan deserve that opportunity, but I bet my bottom dollar that he would have added great value to that team.  He never relied on pace or exceptional athleticism as a player and could easily have played 50% of championship games.... 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

The audacity of us is impressive to be fair.

Also fair play to him for staying " true * to his professional aspirations I guess 

Unless this is just player speak for " I'm waiting for an elite club to come in for me "

If I were a player I think I'd rather fight to achieve Champions League football with an aspiring side like Villa than just piggyback on the achievement of a group of players you had no involvement with.

1 minute ago, maqroll said:

If I were a player I think I'd rather fight to achieve Champions League football with an aspiring side like Villa than just piggyback on the achievement of a group of players you had no involvement with.

He is 30 years old and is playing for a Champions League club

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, maqroll said:

So not like Gucci Man then?

19 minutes ago, FLVillan said:

Squad player.  Bags and bags of experience. Model pro.  Would be fine with a bit-part role. Great role model for younger players.

Not sure about this. He has a bit part role at Liverpool. If he moves it’s because he wants to play regularly. He won’t get that here so I doubt we’d be in for him. More likely to go to Leeds.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, IrishVilla10 said:

Anyone seen much of him, still only 27

I don't know how his injuries are and correspondingly how good he is now but if he can stay fit and he's half as good as he was before then he'd be way better than Bissouma or Phillips.

11 minutes ago, WallisFrizz said:

Not sure about this. He has a bit part role at Liverpool. If he moves it’s because he wants to play regularly. He won’t get that here so I doubt we’d be in for him. More likely to go to Leeds.

Depends where he (and others) sees his level.  At Leeds he could probably play more, but be fighting relegation with a novice manager and surround by poor players. With us he'd be (hopefully) be challenging in the top half and with better players.  Also the "Stevie G" factor to consider....