Summer Transfer Window 2022

Loxstock92

We need to start bringing in players that consistently put in 8/10 performances as opposed to 10/10 one week and 1/10 the next.

I go through our team and it is littered with inconsistency. It was a problem for Smith when Grealish wasn’t in the team and it will be a problem for Gerrard if he doesn’t solve it this summer.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

50 minutes ago, jacketspuds said:

We need to start bringing in players that consistently put in 8/10 performances as opposed to 10/10 one week and 1/10 the next.

I go through our team and it is littered with inconsistency. It was a problem for Smith when Grealish wasn’t in the team and it will be a problem for Gerrard if he doesn’t solve it this summer.

Sure, but how do we attract those players here? We’re not doing great and don’t have more to offer than our competitors… they will have so many (better) options…

I’m just hoping for a few standout performances and results before the season ends, it’s petering out badly so far and I can’t see where it’s going to come from but I want to be surprised…

Also, inconsistency is not just down to the players. Coaches and manager have to take some responsibility for that too. If you don’t select the right team nor set them up correctly, you can’t just deflect blame onto the players. That’s on you.

Again, they’ve failed to get the best out of the current crop and we’ve seen some of them perform better beforehand, no doubt.

I can’t get onboard with the notion that our players are just shite and that SG is some amazing, potential top class manager with the caveat that he must sign and play only the players he brings in… that’s absolute BS to me… if that’s our strategy then what was the F’in point in sacking the previous manager? Why not let him or any other guy we could have brought in to oversee the splurge?

The point was for the new guy to do a better job and elevate the squad… that hasn’t happened.

I hope it will… but I really haven’t seen the signs so far. All we can do is wait and see but I can’t take any encouragement from many, if any, of our displays this season… can we at least put in a performance for the duration of a whole match please?!

Some embarrassing performances and results against the likes of Watford & Brentford and winless runs against perceived to be inferior opposition. We’ve lost 17 games!

We gave the top 8 a few frights last season, some excellent performances and results. Nothing of the sort this time around despite splashing the cash (which is all we seem to do nowadays, without anything to show for it).

In my eyes, we’ve only gone backwards so far… I hope that changes, but current evidence doesn’t support that…

Sorry to be a downer, but I can’t fake being upbeat about things… not much reason to be right now. Where is the progression we have been promised and “continual improvement” that our CEO made such a big deal about?

All talk and no action is what I have been seeing, particularly from the manager.

Edited by Jas10
  • Like 4

47 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

Sure, but how do we attract those players here? We’re not doing great and don’t have more to offer than our competitors… they will have so many (better) options…

I’m just hoping for a few standout performances and results before the season ends, it’s petering out badly so far and I can’t see where it’s going to come from but I want to be surprised…

Also, inconsistency is not just down to the players. Coaches and manager have to take some responsibility for that too. If you don’t select the right team nor set them up correctly, you can’t just deflect blame onto the players. That’s on you.

Again, they’ve failed to get the best out of the current crop and we’ve seen some of them perform better beforehand, no doubt.

I can’t get onboard with the notion that our players are just shite and that SG is some amazing, potential top class manager with the caveat that he must sign and play only the players he brings in… that’s absolute BS to me… if that’s our strategy then what was the F’in point in sacking the previous manager? Why not let him or any other guy we could have brought in to oversee the splurge?

The point was for the new guy to do a better job and elevate the squad… that hasn’t happened.

I hope it will… but I really haven’t seen the signs so far. All we can do is wait and see but I can’t take any encouragement from many, if any, of our displays this season… can we at least put in a performance for the duration of a whole match please?!

Some embarrassing performances and results against the likes of Watford & Brentford and winless runs against perceived to be inferior opposition. We’ve lost 17 games!

We gave the top 8 a few frights last season, some excellent performances and results. Nothing of the sort this time around despite splashing the cash (which is all we seem to do nowadays, without anything to show for it).

In my eyes, we’ve only gone backwards so far… I hope that changes, but current evidence doesn’t support that…

Sorry to be a downer, but I can’t fake being upbeat about things… not much reason to be right now. Where is the progression we have been promised and “continual improvement” that our CEO made such a big deal about?

All talk and no action is what I have been seeing, particularly from the manager.

Totally agree that some of this is on the manager and coaching staff as well. The players just need to take more responsibility as they are the common denominator in terms of Gerrard and his predecessor.

You could argue that some of this is on the scouting system as well. We shouldn’t always have to spend £30m+ just to get some consistency. Even then £30m isn’t always enough.

We won’t need a scouting team if we’re just going to spunk £60m on someone like Phillips.

2 hours ago, jacketspuds said:

We won’t need a scouting team if we’re just going to spunk £60m on someone like Phillips.

It would be nice to see some more evidence that our scouting team do anything but watch Match of The Day.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

* Ironically, a large chunk of those minutes, have come under the same manager who " hates youth "?

Deano obviously gets the big ups for bringing him through in the first place, but that's not the point mate.

SG has played him basically non stop, and as much as I love him, even when he has lost form and should have potentially been dropped at times.

So the overly dramatic notion that our youngters from the academy are doomed, and will never get any playing time, are bizarre.

Especially when a youngster has been a mainstay in the team, even over other senior players for the whole season.

Doesn't matter who brought him through, based on what some people are trying to insinuate, he should have been dropped for a senior.

If the young player is good enough, they will play.

How many of the top clubs are playing all their youth in the Premier League consistently? In cups etc maybe.

It's easier to integrate youth when your whole team is strong.

Carney has also played more minutes and we’ve seen more youngsters around the match day squad. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

Why we never went in for guimaraes ill never know. Exactly the player we needed. 

23 minutes ago, VillaParkAvenue said:

Yes. Defensively strong, athletic, technique, passing. Just about the complete central midfielder.

Newcastle are going to be a big problem for us as they can blow us out the water financially.

Likely be in for similar players to us aswell.

Hope I'm wrong but I think it's futile, top six are pretty much without reach and now Newcastle will be in the mix for seventh/eighth with Wolves, Leicester and Wet Spam.

I suppose we all are supposed to have faith and hope but I'm all out and it's why many of us are such a defeatist fanbase. Just like the players we are used to being mediocre and losers.

Willing to accept this season as a transitional one with losing our best player in decades, a new manager etc but FFS how many transitional seasons are we supposed to accept? Is next season another considering a new manager needs at least three transfer windows?

Failure of a season if we end up finishing below Newcastle… plus they will be ahead of the queue in terms of signing players.

This summer will not be easy, will be difficult to attract our top targets unless we have a storming end to the season - can’t see that happening.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

Newcastle are going to be a big problem for us as they can blow us out the water financially.

Likely be in for similar players to us aswell.

Hope I'm wrong but I think it's futile, top six are pretty much without reach and now Newcastle will be in the mix for seventh/eighth with Wolves, Leicester and Wet Spam.

I suppose we all are supposed to have faith and hope but I'm all out and it's why many of us are such a defeatist fanbase. Just like the players we are used to being mediocre and losers.

Willing to accept this season as a transitional one with losing our best player in decades, a new manager etc but FFS how many transitional seasons are we supposed to accept? Is next season another considering a new manager needs at least three transfer windows?

Thrash Leicester and we’ll soon change our tune! 😆

Tbh, I can’t see where an amazing performance and result is coming from with the way things have been going.

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

Why we never went in for guimaraes ill never know. Exactly the player we needed. 

Or any other decent DM.

But yeah, him and Luiz were the MF partnership and performed well for Brazil  as they won the Olympics tournament…

Doesn’t look like we payed any attention.

1 hour ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

FFS how many transitional seasons are we supposed to accept? Is next season another considering a new manager needs at least three transfer windows?

In all likelihood, yes. I suppose we should just be thankful that we've established ourselves back in the top flight.

51 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

Thrash Leicester and we’ll soon change our tune! 😆

Tbh, I can’t see where an amazing performance and result is coming from with the way things have been going.

People were saying that before the Brighton, Southampton and Leeds games.

We're just terribly inconsistent at the moment 

12 hours ago, Delphinho123 said:

I’m inclined to agree with a lot of this. Not sure about the disconnect from the club though - I’m really enjoying being a Villa fan right now, especially after the last decade. 

Re. The formation. I agree, for the most part. It frustrates me how the two midfielders become make shift fullbacks when Cash and Digne bomb on and we give the opposition way too much space out wide. Not only that, the two No.10’s tend to tread on each other’s toes. 
I would much prefer us to play a 4-2-3-1 or a 3-4-2-1 - both systems require a defensive midfielder, probably two. We don’t have a single one. Unfortunately, almost all of our failures as a team stem from the fact we don’t have a defensive minded midfielder sitting in front of the back 4. Whilst I don’t like the formation and hope we change it, signing someone like Bissouma or Phillips should help at least. 

I have no idea what the Summer will bring but I have to back Gerrard and the club to get it right. We’re still reeling from what was an awful Summer ‘21 window, having failed to replace Grealish and instead, created a huge imbalance throughout the squad. I said at the start of the season we’ll finish around 13th and absolutely nothing convinces me won’t still do that. 

It’s a big Summer. We need to move at least 7-8 players on and bring in at least 3-4 players of sufficient quality to start for us. It’s going to be exciting, even if it is reckless!

surely, that highlighted bit is contradictory.....but your further comments in the paragraph are right.

But we keep thinking we can reconcile it with formation changes......How?

Someone has to do that job and so far with Marvellous out.....they clearly can't.

Analogy.................Its like continually trying to reconfigure a house building job without an RSJ......There comes a time, when the solutions run out...and no amount of re-designs will compenstate, for a crucial missing element.

We have been playing without suitable defensive midfield cover, for too long and it has affected the whole team, adversely.....He can't fix it until the window opens.....if we don't and we continue signing lightweight offensive players, as we have done......god help us.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 2

On 17/04/2022 at 11:29, Jas10 said:

If we finish deep in that bottom half, with no positivity or momentum, with no signs of progression or potential… I can see us really struggling to attract any players of the required quality, we’d struggle to sign upgrades imo. There is so much competition and potentially much more attractive propositions than us unless we really show something worth shouting about before the season is over.

Sometimes I wonder whether we can get so wrapped up and concerned with our own club and maybe have an exaggerated opinion of it and where it is at and fail to recognise that there are other sides who are performing better, have more to offer (such as competing in/for European competitions) and also have the finances to, more easily, attract and sign the more high profile/level targets that we may have. Atm, I can see us missing out… and where would that leave us?

A recent example may have been Bentancur, easy to see why he would choose to join Spurs over us. And I can see the same happening with other targets such as Bissouma. If they have better options, why would they sign for us? What do we have to offer? Words? 

Why would a player like Nunez opt for us? With a long list of suitors in better positions? Some of the rumours or links seem quite silly… and I doubt we would be spending £60m+ on a single player, I don’t see us having those kinds of resources (until we ever play in European competition) or it being sustainable but those players won’t want to sign for us anyway…

I don’t think SG is as big of a factor as some may believe, it only helps if he has us performing well which he really doesn’t… he’s failed to get the best out of these players, what leads anyone to expect him to get the best out of new ones?

Maybe we’ll have to pick out some gems or players that have possibly flown under the radar but that’s risky and I don’t get the impression that that is an approach we will take…

Struggling to feel much excitement or optimism at this moment in time, a few good performances and results would go a long way to changing that but it’s much more on the side of hope rather than expectation.

We need to wake up and show what we’re made of, we’ve been looking quite inferior and need to address it asap…

I hope we can…

I fear many fans share your same doubts.....But may I remind you, many fans have voiced there scepticism over the last few seasons of our inability to defend adequately from midfield in particular....The club for whatever reasons chose to focus on other area's of recruitment.

I think this has come home to haunt us.....and right now has affected the whole team.

We will see this summer, whether we have woken up to the fact, its is now high priority.....I will wait and see.

Other clubs like Brentford, in particular, have addressed their soft under belly reputations by signing players such as Jansson, Janelt, Ajer, Norgaard, Toney.....Players with a physical presence, that have added that much needed resillience to their guile.....sure they are far from perfect, but they have helped themselves.

We can't play with a team full of Phil Coutinho's as good as he is....We need help in other area's....we relied on Jack for too long, before we realised we was relying on him, then panicked, in to " what do we do without Jack " half the team was dining out on his ball keeping skills.

Where we need to wake up, is in recruitment and get this Summers additions, the right ones, to blend a proper team, not a lop sided one.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, maqroll said:

With the new North Stand and Las Vegas Villa investment, there is no way they won't continue to pump money into the next several transfer windows, IMO. 

I totally agree.

but they won't keep funding duff signings, either.....I am equally sure about that.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1