Summer Transfer Window 2022

Loxstock92

1 minute ago, Delphinho123 said:

I do still think JWP would be a good option if it wasn’t for silly money. For 35/40m, I think he’d be a very shrewd buy and someone to sit alongside a more defensive midfielder in the double pivot. 

He’s also worth 5-10 assists/goals a season with his set pieces. 

We could do a lot worse than him and Bissouma as our 2 in front of the back 4 next season. 

I like them but neither is really a defensive midfielder.

• Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, paul514 said:

Who is the DCM there? It is neither of those two.

If you aren't getting the fees for your players then how are buying new ones without NSWE dipping into their pockets in perpetuity 

So Bissouma, who has played the majority of games over last two seasons as a defensive midfielder is "not a DCM". 

Can't really have a discussion if playing in the position doesn't qualify you as a DCM

That's despite the fact we play a flat 3 in midfield anyway. We need a defensively better CM to replace Luiz in the system. 

3 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

So Bissouma, who has played the majority of games over last two seasons as a defensive midfielder is "not a DCM". 

Can't really have a discussion if playing in the position doesn't qualify you as a DCM

That's despite the fact we play a flat 3 in midfield anyway. We need a defensively better CM to replace Luiz in the system. 

In Gerrard's system, isn't the DM supposed to sit back and shield the defense? Bissouma hasn't had that role at Brighton.

• Like 1

We have Ramsey, Luiz, McGinn, Sanson & Nakamba who had a combined total of zero games in the Premier League prior to joining Villa. Add to that you wouldn't call an of them big on field leaders. Our midfield has been a problem for three seasons.

But, get in a player who has captained his country and Liverpool many times. Has won the Premier League, Champions League. That his previous manager Klopp says "It is not only on the pitch we miss him but we really, really miss him in the dressing room as well.

Who would cost us less per season than Ings costs us. But No no no, we don't want him. He'll be on high wages etc. Go look at all the people who said that about Coutinho in the Coutinho thread. It really boggles the mind. 

1 minute ago, VillaParkAvenue said:

In Gerrard's system, isn't the DM supposed to sit back and shield the defense? Bissouma hasn't had that role at Brighton.

They way his Rangers team played they had the teeny tiny Steven Davis in the sitting role and 2 more athletic players in front of him who were the ball winners. Not sure yet what the plan is here.

2 minutes ago, VillaParkAvenue said:

Answer: No 

A DM sits further back from the other two midfielders. We play a flat midfield 3. 

Also Bissouma has played the majority of his games for the past two seasons in CDM. He also has exceptional defensive stats because he breaks up play, makes a lot of blocks etc. He's also excellent passer of the ball and he carries it forward often to great effect. He's also physical. 

He is the central midfielder we need in our flat 3 man midfield.

4 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

A DM sits further back from the other two midfielders. We play a flat midfield 3. 

Also Bissouma has played the majority of his games for the past two seasons in CDM. He also has exceptional defensive stats because he breaks up play, makes a lot of blocks etc. He's also excellent passer of the ball and he carries it forward often to great effect. He's also physical. 

He has played 28 career games at defensive midfield, 18 of them in the Premier League

He is a centre midfielder that is a box to box player

4 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

Yeah, with Luiz we've pretty much had a flat three. But wasn't the idea to have someone more like Nakamba sitting back as a shield?

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Perhaps. I still think Bissouma is defensive though isn’t he? 

If by that you mean in the top 10% best in the top 5 leagues for tackles, interceptions and clearances. Also in top 10% of successful pressures (team won ball back within next 5 sec of his pressure).

Then yes.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, duke313 said:

Seems like it would be well suited to Bailey.

-------------------Luiz----------------------
McGinn----------------------Ramsey
----Buendia---------Coutinho-------
-----------------Bailey---------------------

You know, I'd love to see them try this or anything unexpected, just to see if it could work. We don't have anything specific to play for now, so in a way it gives us a license to experiment. But Gerrard is so rigid in his formation and selection, he'd never try it.

Edited by maqroll
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Zatman said:

He has played 28 career games at defensive midfield, 18 of them in the Premier League

He is a centre midfielder that is a box to box player

15/21 games this season started at CDM

22/35 games last season started at CDM

So 2/3rds of his Premier League games played as CDM in last two seasons

In top 10% for tackles, interceptions, successful pressures and clearances = exceptional defensively 

Of course he's not a defensive midfielder. There is no evidence to back that up. None. Zero. Despite all of the evidence.

He's an excellent player and very much can play an 8 too with his ability to carry the ball forward also excellent. He's just simply an excellent player that's a cut above any of our central midfielders.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

In top 10% for tackles, interceptions, successful pressures and clearances = exceptional defensively 

Of course he's not a defensive midfielder. There is no evidence to back that up. None. Zero. Despite all of the evidence.

He's an excellent player and very much can play an 8 too with his ability to carry the ball forward also excellent. He's just simply an excellent player that's a cut above any of our central midfielders.

He has started 7 games as a defensive midfielder this season and the rest as a centre midfielder

Think the issue is if he's a sitting midfielder or not, not his defensive contribution. Imo he's not and when he's played as a DCM it's usually been as part of a two where he's the one chasing and the other one is sitting. All imo of course. I'd rather we win the ball higher up the pitch than with a deep sitting DCM so no issues for me there.

Fwiw I think he'd be a solid addition to our midfield for the right price.

35 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

I do still think JWP would be a good option if it wasn’t for silly money. For 35/40m, I think he’d be a very shrewd buy and someone to sit alongside a more defensive midfielder in the double pivot. 

He’s also worth 5-10 assists/goals a season with his set pieces. 

We could do a lot worse than him and Bissouma as our 2 in front of the back 4 next season. 

If we lose Luiz, he should be one of our top targets imo. Shame we probably have to pay him and Southampton bloated fees to get him however.

Just now, Laughable Chimp said:

If we lose Luiz, he should be one of our top targets imo. Shame we probably have to pay him and Southampton bloated fees to get him however.

Maybe we can give them Ings back :D 

Assume that Broja will return to Chelsea 

2 minutes ago, sne said:

Think the issue is if he's a sitting midfielder or not, not his defensive contribution. Imo he's not and when he's played as a DCM it's usually been as part of a two where he's the one chasing and the other one is sitting. All imo of course. I'd rather we win the ball higher up the pitch than with a deep sitting DCM so no issues for me there.

Fwiw I think he'd be a solid addition to our midfield for the right price.

Transfermarkt disagrees with you on his position over last 2 seasons saying 2/3rds are as CDM. Also we don't play with a CDM we play with a flat three, the wide midfielders defend covering for the full backs and the central midfielder covers the central area. Our issue is the central role is the most key in terms of defensive abilities, especially concentration. Bissouma ticks all the boxes, great passing, great defensively and physical. 

I can't see how we get him though. Arsenal surely will bid for him, or Spurs. 

27 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

We don't play a flat midfield 3 though. Luiz and Nakamba are defensively oriented and sit deep. Ramsey plays so far up the field for us some sites classify him as an attacking midfielder. Mcginn is the most balanced and I would still argue he's somewhat attacking oriented.

Edited by Laughable Chimp
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Laughable Chimp said:

We don't play a flat midfield 3 though. Luiz and Nakamba are defensively oriented and sit deep. Ramsey plays so far up the field for us some sites classify him as an attacking midfielder. Mcginn is the most balanced and I would still argue he's somewhat attacking oriented.

We play a flat midfield 3

Transfermarkt disagrees with you on his position over last 2 seasons saying 2/3rds are as CDM. Also we don't play with a CDM we play with a flat three, the wide midfielders defend covering for the full backs and the central midfielder covers the central area. Our issue is the central role is the most key in terms of defensive abilities, especially concentration. Bissouma ticks all the boxes, great passing, great defensively and physical. 

I can't see how we get him though. Arsenal surely will bid for him, or Spurs. 

No they don't :D 

Look at the formation Brighton have used in the game not just if it says DM or CM or whatever. He's playing alongside Gross, Mac Allister, Moder or Lallana in a double pivot™ in the games he's playing DM.