Summer Transfer Window 2022

Loxstock92

1 minute ago, av1 said:

Id rather sell him mate. His performances for Scotland mean his value is still pretty high. There was rumours about UTD being interested in him for £40/50m, he isn’t anywhere near that value in reality so if there are clubs willing to pay that I’d sell now rather than see that value plummet sitting on the bench. 

Given that we only paid a couple of million for him as well, I think a decent fee would be great for our FFP balance. 

All in all it would be good business to sell this summer.  

What makes you think McGinn would be sitting on the bench? He should have been dropped a long time ago but keeps starting every match, no reason to think that won’t continue next season regardless of who is signed.

• Like 2

Just now, duke313 said:

What makes you think McGinn would be sitting on the bench? He should have been dropped a long time ago but keeps starting every match, no reason to think that won’t continue next season regardless of who is signed.

I don’t think he will be sitting on the bench, I think he will be sold. 

1 minute ago, av1 said:

I think with this manager it will be neither unless we sign a midfielder who dresses as a turkey and has better jokes 

Edited by Zatman

Just now, av1 said:

He won’t be, unless United or someone pay silly money. 

You said sell him now as his vale will decrease sitting on the bench. He hasn’t been benched yet under SG so that won’t be an issue.

Just now, duke313 said:

He won’t be, unless United or someone pay silly money. 

You said sell him now as his vale will decrease sitting on the bench. He hasn’t been benched yet under SG so that won’t be an issue.

Sorry, maybe I didn’t phrase my post as well as I could have. 

I believe there will be a major overhaul of the midfield in the summer, and hopefully the new recruits will be much better than what we currently have. 

So that means one of two things, either McGinn finds himself on the bench, or we sell him. 

And I would rather sell him based on the points I made in my post above. 

Just now, av1 said:

Sorry, maybe I didn’t phrase my post as well as I could have. 

I believe there will be a major overhaul of the midfield in the summer, and hopefully the new recruits will be much better than what we currently have. 

So that means one of two things, either McGinn finds himself on the bench, or we sell him. 

And I would rather sell him based on the points I made in my post above. 

I don’t disagree that he should be sold. I disagree that he will be benched. He’s picked every week by Gerrard, no reason to think he won’t still be in starting 11 next season, even if we sign 2 midfielders, as Luiz and Sanson will possibly be sold. 

12 minutes ago, av1 said:

Id rather sell him mate. His performances for Scotland mean his value is still pretty high. There was rumours about UTD being interested in him for £40/50m, he isn’t anywhere near that value in reality so if there are clubs willing to pay that I’d sell now rather than see that value plummet sitting on the bench. 

Given that we only paid a couple of million for him as well, I think a decent fee would be great for our FFP balance. 

All in all it would be good business to sell this summer.  

We would be fools not to sell McGinn this summer like we were last year with AEG

1 hour ago, av1 said:

I think there was always going to be 3 rebuilds when the new owners came in. 

A team to get up

A team to stay up 

A team to challenge 

We are currently at team 2, so I don’t understand this nonsense about Purslow/Lange being sacked if we need to rebuild again, it was probably always the plan. 

The investment so far has built a team that isn’t really in trouble of relegation, so it’s been money well spent. 

Add in those players that probably aren’t good enough to take us to the next level, McGinn, Konsa, Luiz, Watkins etc and we’ll probably make a profit on that bunch when we sell them so it’s been very good business. Yes there are 1 or 2 that we’ll probably make a loss on Bailey, Traore, AEG, but that’s football, and in the case of AEG who played a big part getting us up, over all you’d have to say that was a decent signing as well. 

With that in mind I see a big turnover in the summer, we need imo:

1 x CB

2 x Midfielders minimum (see below)

1 x Attacking midfielder 

1 x Striker minimum 

To fund that I think the below 1st team players will be sold:

Watkins - Being in and around the England squad is masking his true value (this summer is the ideal time to sell)

McGinn - See above but change England for Scotland. 

Konsa - Similar to the above (without playing internationally) I genuinely think his reputation outside of VP is higher than deserved so we could get good money. 

Ings - Similar to the above (without playing internationally) I believe a newly promoted team, or a team like Brighton that struggle to score goals will be happy to give us back something close to our outlay. 

Add to that anything we can get for fringe players like AEG/Traore/Trez etc and I really think we could bring in about £130m 

I think the summer is going to be crazy. 

I think some of those players should be sold, I don’t think most of them will

14 minutes ago, IrishVilla10 said:

Completely agree. Cash in on Luiz and bench Mcginn. Mcginn cannot be starting for us next season 

I think, we will see some players rise to the occasion, with the right additions to the squad.

I would but the following.

1/2 centrebacks....need more domination, particulary in the air.

1/2 midfielders......need more domination. 

1 striker......need mre aggression and clinical finisher.

• possibly 2-4 defenders
  • 1 attacker
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, duke313 said:

I don’t disagree that he should be sold. I disagree that he will be benched. He’s picked every week by Gerrard, no reason to think he won’t still be in starting 11 next season, even if we sign 2 midfielders, as Luiz and Sanson will possibly be sold. 

Yes but Ramsey is also picked every week as well, so if we bring in 2 midfielders, one of them is going to sit out. And I think that would be McGinn 

Obviously people will have different opinions on who should be sold and kept.  But going by this thread we need to sell Konsa, Mings, Luiz, McGinn, Watkins and Ings.

That’s 6 first team players, literally over have the starting XI. That isn’t realistic or feasible, it isn’t Football Manager.

Couthinio is the standard. Keep players who are at that standard, or can get to it, and try and buy players that could be up to the standard.

Stupid point, but Kane or Son in our team yday, and we win that game.

Bissouma for Ings is a no brainer, as is Luiz for Abrahams is a no brainer. Watkins, McGinn, Sansom, Bailey i'm not bothered if they are here next year. Not good enough

2 minutes ago, TRO said:

I think, we will see some players rise to the occasion, with the right additions to the squad.

I would but the following.

1/2 centrebacks....need more domination, particulary in the air.

1/2 midfielders......need more domination. 

1 striker......need mre aggression and clinical finisher.

• possibly 2-4 defenders
  • 1 attacker

Sosa Botman Milenkovic Aarons

Kamara Koopmeiners

Abraham

1 minute ago, paul514 said:

I think some of those players should be sold, I don’t think most of them will

Maybe not mate, but it depends on the extent of the plans for the summer. If we are looking to bring in 4/5 top players that isn’t going to be viable without selling a couple, and like the point you made about McGinn in your previous post, clever clubs/businesses sell assets at the right time before their value falls off a cliff. 

3 minutes ago, duke313 said:

Obviously people will have different opinions on who should be sold and kept.  But going by this thread we need to sell Konsa, Mings, Luiz, McGinn, Watkins and Ings.

That’s 6 first team players, literally over have the starting XI. That isn’t realistic or feasible, it isn’t Football Manager.

I’m not saying that all of them need to be sold. I’m saying that I believe our squad needs 4/5 quality additions, and selling a few at the right time may be the best way of achieving that. 

20 minutes ago, duke313 said:

Ridiculous notion.

Also, before SG came in, when was the last time McGinn was on the bench, outside of injury and/or suspension?

Maybe for all his deficiencies, managers still see him as one of the better from a bad bunch for certain characteristics ( Rightly or wrongly so )

But to suggest that if we get better midfielders he is going to start, just because the Manager is thick, is a bit disengenuous.

The same also goes for the likes of Ollie.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN

4 minutes ago, av1 said:

Maybe not mate, but it depends on the extent of the plans for the summer. If we are looking to bring in 4/5 top players that isn’t going to be viable without selling a couple, and like the point you made about McGinn in your previous post, clever clubs/businesses sell assets at the right time before their value falls off a cliff. 

Well there is the two out of contract in a year that needs to be sorted by new deals or sales
Trez and AEG
for me it is obvious to sell McGinn and at least one of the two first choice centre backs
Then I would be looking for a striker opportunity, but if it doesn't arise I wouldn't sell either.

2 minutes ago, paul514 said:

Well there is the two out of contract in a year that needs to be sorted by new deals or sales
Trez and AEG
for me it is obvious to sell McGinn and at least one of the two first choice centre backs
Then I would be looking for a striker opportunity, but if it doesn't arise I wouldn't sell either.

I know it’s a big step up from the championship but honestly wouldn’t be surprised to see both strikers sold with one coming in, and one of Davis/Archer kept as backup 

3 minutes ago, av1 said:

I know it’s a big step up from the championship but honestly wouldn’t be surprised to see both strikers sold with one coming in, and one of Davis/Archer kept as backup 

Pretty sure Davis is done here and will be sold in the summer. He has improved his value and only has 2 years left on his deal.

• Like 1