Summer Transfer Window 2022

Loxstock92

1 hour ago, HalfTimePost said:

I could get on board with Ings swap with Bissouma. I'd assume we'd have to add some cash into that deal. The club would probably try and value him at £30m again so probably hoping for £10m + Ings for Bissouma?

Brighton probably value Ings at £20m and Bissouma at £50m so probably looking for £30m+Ings.

I think if we can land somewhere around £15m + Ings I'd be happy. Maybe £20m at a push

Bissouma has 1 year left on his deal he isn’t worth 50min a month of Sundays 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, HalfTimePost said:

I dunno, I think it's just Stevies M.O. he got through something ridiculous like 49 players during his 3 years at Rangers.

Well he went from finishing 13 points behind Celtic to winning the league by 25 points, so it must have worked.

• Like 3

57 minutes ago, HalfTimePost said:

I found somewhere (footballscotland.co.uk) saying he signed 38 players during his time there.

I'm sure I read 49 earlier in the year - but that may include the initial team he inherited and selling 11 further to those he signed.

I'm sure I can trawl through Transfermarkt to count exactly but the tldr is that Gerrard treats his Football Management career like Football Manager.

Is that all? - Barry says hi:D

image.jpeg.f48a3bb3d69edc62545e72732fee35f1.jpeg

I think there was always going to be 3 rebuilds when the new owners came in. 

A team to get up

A team to stay up 

A team to challenge 

We are currently at team 2, so I don’t understand this nonsense about Purslow/Lange being sacked if we need to rebuild again, it was probably always the plan. 

The investment so far has built a team that isn’t really in trouble of relegation, so it’s been money well spent. 

Add in those players that probably aren’t good enough to take us to the next level, McGinn, Konsa, Luiz, Watkins etc and we’ll probably make a profit on that bunch when we sell them so it’s been very good business. Yes there are 1 or 2 that we’ll probably make a loss on Bailey, Traore, AEG, but that’s football, and in the case of AEG who played a big part getting us up, over all you’d have to say that was a decent signing as well. 

With that in mind I see a big turnover in the summer, we need imo:

1 x CB

2 x Midfielders minimum (see below)

1 x Attacking midfielder 

1 x Striker minimum 

To fund that I think the below 1st team players will be sold:

Watkins - Being in and around the England squad is masking his true value (this summer is the ideal time to sell)

McGinn - See above but change England for Scotland. 

Konsa - Similar to the above (without playing internationally) I genuinely think his reputation outside of VP is higher than deserved so we could get good money. 

Ings - Similar to the above (without playing internationally) I believe a newly promoted team, or a team like Brighton that struggle to score goals will be happy to give us back something close to our outlay. 

Add to that anything we can get for fringe players like AEG/Traore/Trez etc and I really think we could bring in about £130m 

I think the summer is going to be crazy. 

the tldr is that Gerrard treats his Football Management career like Football Manager.

A lot of fans think football is like Football Manager as well so he should be the perfect manager. 

43 minutes ago, paul514 said:

Bissouma has 1 year left on his deal he isn’t worth 50min a month of Sundays 

Good point. Like Douglas (if he doesn't sign a new contract) we wouldn't expect to get the full market price, I would think possibly we might get 33% less, so that would make Bissouma around £33m. Problem is that there are likely to be other clubs in for him and Brighton would therefore take the highest bid, which may be £40m+. 

2 hours ago, sne said:

Does seem to be a lot of focus on off the ball stuff rather that on the ball. Probably a remnant from the years we spent circling the drain before we got relegated.

'Both are equally important for a mid table team but atm Luiz is our only CM (Sanson never plays) comfortable with the ball. Removing him and adding Bissouma would not really sort our off the ball issues much but make us so much worse with the ball.

Most of the time whenever Luiz been unavailable and Nakamba has come in we’ve looked a worse team, for exactly the reasons you’ve mentioned. Luiz calm and composed on the ball and helps to knit the team together, it’s just a shame he isn’t a ball-winner as otherwise he’d be the complete package. However we can’t jump from one extreme to another and go for a ball winner with no composure or ability with the ball.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, av1 said:

A team to get up

A team to stay up 

A team to challenge 

We are currently at team 2, so I don’t understand this nonsense about Purslow/Lange being sacked if we need to rebuild again, it was probably always the plan. 

The investment so far has built a team that isn’t really in trouble of relegation, so it’s been money well spent. 

Add in those players that probably aren’t good enough to take us to the next level, McGinn, Konsa, Luiz, Watkins etc and we’ll probably make a profit on that bunch when we sell them so it’s been very good business. Yes there are 1 or 2 that we’ll probably make a loss on Bailey, Traore, AEG, but that’s football, and in the case of AEG who played a big part getting us up, over all you’d have to say that was a decent signing as well. 

1 x CB

1 x Attacking midfielder 

1 x Striker minimum 

Watkins - Being in and around the England squad is masking his true value (this summer is the ideal time to sell)

Konsa - Similar to the above (without playing internationally) I genuinely think his reputation outside of VP is higher than deserved so we could get good money. 

Ings - Similar to the above (without playing internationally) I believe a newly promoted team, or a team like Brighton that struggle to score goals will be happy to give us back something close to our outlay. 

Add to that anything we can get for fringe players like AEG/Traore/Trez etc and I really think we could bring in about £130m 

Apart from Jack we haven’t really sold any first team players. The bulk of this squad was good enough to keep us up and finish mid table. But it won’t get us into Europe

14 minutes ago, av1 said:

A team to get up

A team to stay up 

A team to challenge 

1 x CB

1 x Attacking midfielder 

1 x Striker minimum 

Don't really agree with this assessment - we're well beyond team two i.e. only having players good enough to stay up. Also, two of the players you go into detail about - Watkins and Konsa - have regressed a lot since Gerrard came in. 

1 hour ago, duke313 said:

Well he went from finishing 13 points behind Celtic to winning the league by 25 points, so it must have worked.

For sure. Which is why he got the gig. I'm sure there's a counter argument that Celtic fell apart as Rodgers left. But yeah, it worked.

Just means we're going to see a lot of turnover of players we may like. I also think big squad overhauls often fail in the Prem as teams need cohesion, unity and chemistry more than they maybe do in the SPL. The likes of QPR is the best example. 

But yeah, it's worked for him before. None of us really disagree with what Gerrard says, the sounds of his plan sound fine. It's just a big risk on the execution of some parts of his plan so far - in a very tough league - seems lacking. I.e. the system, subs, style of play and attacking output (when it clicks it's great, but too often doesn't).

But if he can make it click a majority of the time. It'll be worth the investment 

9 minutes ago, lexicon said:

Don't really agree with this assessment - we're well beyond team two i.e. only having players good enough to stay up.

All about opinions I guess mate, but I don’t think we are well beyond that at all. 

Also, two of the players you go into detail about - Watkins and Konsa - have regressed a lot since Gerrard came in. 

Again, I disagree with the notion of regression under Gerrard, simply on the grounds that they were both poor under Smith this season. Watkins I’d just poor, the manager won’t make a difference 

14 minutes ago, IrishVilla10 said:

We desperately need a new midfield.Look at the positioning for spurs first yesterday. Most importantly Luiz  BBECA7CB-D363-4B1D-8FB1-F47199EBBD79.thumb.jpeg.c8d83b6fded4325cb63099ce5196a803.jpeg 

Bar Ramsey I wouldn’t be sad to see the whole midfield replaced, hence saying “2 x midfielders minimum” in my post above. 

It’s been an issue for years, those screen shots you have posted are just criminal 

I found somewhere (footballscotland.co.uk) saying he signed 38 players during his time there.

I'm sure I read 49 earlier in the year - but that may include the initial team he inherited and selling 11 further to those he signed.

I'm sure I can trawl through Transfermarkt to count exactly but the tldr is that Gerrard treats his Football Management career like Football Manager.

Luckily he discovered Purslow who allows him to use cheat mode

1 hour ago, duke313 said:

Celtic were managed be Neil Lennon not Rodgers. Would you take Lennon here

He won about 6 Scottish leagues and many trophies compared to Gerrards 1 trophy in Scotland 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, av1 said:

Bar Ramsey I wouldn’t be sad to see the whole midfield replaced, hence saying “2 x midfielders minimum” in my post above. 

It’s been an issue for years, those screen shots you have posted are just criminal 

Completely agree. Cash in on Luiz and bench Mcginn. Mcginn cannot be starting for us next season 

Just now, IrishVilla10 said:

Completely agree. Cash in on Luiz and bench Mcginn. Mcginn cannot be starting for us next season 

Id rather sell him mate. His performances for Scotland mean his value is still pretty high. There was rumours about UTD being interested in him for £40/50m, he isn’t anywhere near that value in reality so if there are clubs willing to pay that I’d sell now rather than see that value plummet sitting on the bench. 

Given that we only paid a couple of million for him as well, I think a decent fee would be great for our FFP balance. 

All in all it would be good business to sell this summer.  

41 minutes ago, John said:

Good point. Like Douglas (if he doesn't sign a new contract) we wouldn't expect to get the full market price, I would think possibly we might get 33% less, so that would make Bissouma around £33m. Problem is that there are likely to be other clubs in for him and Brighton would therefore take the highest bid, which may be £40m+. 

If someone wants to pay 40 then good luck to them..... Bissouma isn't even a DM he is a 6/8 hybrid like Luis.

Sure he will be great in a double pivot next to a proper 6 like Kamara from Marseilles or Koopmeiners now at Atlanta but if we are just buying one it definitely shouldn't be him

• Like 3

1 minute ago, paul514 said:

If someone wants to pay 40 then good luck to them..... Bissouma isn't even a DM he is a 6/8 hybrid like Luis.

Sure he will be great in a double pivot next to a proper 6 like Kamara from Marseilles or Koopmeiners now at Atlanta but if we are just buying one it definitely shouldn't be him

Kamara & Luiz as a double pivot would be really interesting IMO.

• Like 2