Summer Transfer Window 2022

Loxstock92

1 minute ago, nick76 said:

While I agree somewhat, Pep chose to not have a striker or at least he was involved somewhat and the reason they don’t have a striker.  The squad he has is the one he has built up over many seasons so I’m not sure it’s like for like with Gerrard who has come in as a new manager with a squad that’s been very inconsistent for over 12 months, sacked a manager because of results from the same squad, the manager has his own ideas and these aren’t his players and the owners want to play at the next level and not this level.  

Yes no squad will be perfect but Pep has built his squad, one of the best in the world whereas this isn’t Gerrard’s squad and the owners want a higher level of placings.

Obviously the board and owners think they have the right guy and probably knew he was likely to make whatever changes he’s going to make in any discussions they had.

Don't disagree on most of that but the point is Villa is a mid table club with a budget and owners who while rich are not Richie Rich rich living in a fantasy world with no rules like the City ones. And City still didn't manage to get a good enough striker to be worth spending on.

We won't ever be able to just handpick players. Victor Nilsson Lindelöf is a very good ball playing CB. But I imagine most on here will say he's no where good enough. A ball playing CB who is also an improvement on Mings/Konsa will cost big bucks and every club in the world wants those players.

1 hour ago, A'Villan said:

Mings, Konsa and Chambers are surely all decent ball playing centre backs? Mings especially. Chambers capable of contributing to build up phase. Konsa while no needle threader does push the ball forward into attack when there is no ideal options and our opponents give him license, and while that doesn't really qualify him as a ball playing defender, he does oftentimes execute to good effect. 

I'm guessing the consensus is that this is not an accurate statement though, or that they are not contributing to some system of play SG has in mind I'm not aware to.

None of them are. Chambers probably is the best of the three. Konsa is a non existent on the ball. You can't get lower passing stats for a CB than him. Mings is low down on passing stats too but he's trying to improve. A player like Joe Gomez, his best skill is his passing. We need that type of player to counter teams with a high press. Konsa is very good when we play teams who allow us to play out from the back unopposed. 

This is why we need this different blend of CBs. Chambers is our utility player, he'll be RB cover and CB and possibly CDM.

We have wealthy owners.....but, what we haven't got is a constant stream of cash to fund players who don't make an impact in our first team....and we do have a few of them.

We cannot keep funding players for huge sums, who don't show it on the pitch, for whatever reasons.

With the exception of Jack, we don't seem very slick at selling, but much better at buying.

12 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

None of them are. Chambers probably is the best of the three. Konsa is a non existent on the ball. You can't get lower passing stats for a CB than him. Mings is low down on passing stats too but he's trying to improve. A player like Joe Gomez, his best skill is his passing. We need that type of player to counter teams with a high press. Konsa is very good when we play teams who allow us to play out from the back unopposed. 

This is why we need this different blend of CBs. Chambers is our utility player, he'll be RB cover and CB and possibly CDM.

I'd like to see him have a run out there.

17 minutes ago, sne said:

Don't disagree on most of that but the point is Villa is a mid table club with a budget and owners who while rich are not Richie Rich rich living in a fantasy world with no rules like the City ones. And City still didn't manage to get a good enough striker to be worth spending on.

We won't ever be able to just handpick players. Victor Nilsson Lindelöf is a very good ball playing CB. But I imagine most on here will say he's no where good enough. A ball playing CB who is also an improvement on Mings/Konsa will cost big bucks and every club in the world wants those players.

I’m not disagreeing, I was just commenting on players fitting Gerrard’s way of playing, individuals and what Gerrard looks like he wants from those players and likelihood he will need to change if he desires being effective in his style.

Undoubtedly he won’t get all the players he wants and will have to do with players that can’t do exactly what he wants.

Guess after the summer window we'll have a better idea of what Gerrard wants, what the owners are prepared to do and whether it’s minor changes or major changes.  It’ll be an interesting summer.

• Like 1

My real dream for next season is that a couple of the youngsters take another step in their development. Quite a few seem close to Prem quality already. Imagine if KKH becomes a solid PL rightback, Tim grows into a great DM, Carney becomes reliably dangerous even in the league and Archer steps up another notch. Suddenly we’d have a serious team without even having to care about FFP.

I’m not sure we’ll be able to buy our way into the top 4, but getting lucky with an academy generation could do it - at least for a little while.

Edited by VillaParkAvenue
  • Like 3

14 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

We could bring in an awful lot of money in the summer - potentially we have Targett, Trezeguet, El Ghazi, Davis, Guilbert, Steer, Hourihane, Traore and Bailey all on the way out - they'd bring in getting on for £100m and free up something like £300k from the wage bill.

And in terms of speculation as to what we'd do with it, bringing in Coutinho, Phillips and Hickey would for me be a decent summer.

Would we really get even 70m?

Targett 20m or so, Tre 5m, AEG perhaps 6-7m, Davis 5m or less if Forest don't go up, Freddie, 3-4m, Steer dunno but no ones paying big money for reserve keeper, Conor will be out of contract so that's around 40m so thinking we're going to make profits on Traore and Bailey is a bit optimistic, I'd certainly be keeping Bailey anyway as he's capable of much more.

Most of those listed have just 12 months left on their deals so clubs aren't paying silly prices for out of favour guys here. If you threw in Luiz and one of the CFs leaving then I'd agree with 100m figure.

We should've sold someone like AEG last summer.

6 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Would we really get even 70m?

Targett 20m or so, Tre 5m, AEG perhaps 6-7m, Davis 5m or less if Forest don't go up, Freddie, 3-4m, Steer dunno but no ones paying big money for reserve keeper, Conor will be out of contract so that's around 40m so thinking we're going to make profits on Traore and Bailey is a bit optimistic, I'd certainly be keeping Bailey anyway as he's capable of much more.

Most of those listed have just 12 months left on their deals so clubs aren't paying silly prices for out of favour guys here. If you threw in Luiz and one of the CFs leaving then I'd agree with 100m figure.

We should've sold someone like AEG last summer.

I'd reckon £15m for Targett, Trez around £10m (because of his commercial benefits), El Ghazi £5m, Davis £12m (there are other teams in for him and if we sell him for 5m we're robbing ourselves blind), Guilbert £8m, maybe more, he's really impressed in France, Steer and Connor nothing, Bailey £30m and Traore £20m. Complete guesswork and it'll be dependent on demand, but I don't think that's unrealistic.

55 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

I'd reckon £15m for Targett, Trez around £10m (because of his commercial benefits), El Ghazi £5m, Davis £12m (there are other teams in for him and if we sell him for 5m we're robbing ourselves blind), Guilbert £8m, maybe more, he's really impressed in France, Steer and Connor nothing, Bailey £30m and Traore £20m. Complete guesswork and it'll be dependent on demand, but I don't think that's unrealistic.

I think it is. 

Nobody is paying 12m for Davis and we'll be lucky to get a bag of peanuts for Trez, let alone 10m! Guilbert will be a decent acquisition for somebody but I can't see any mid table French team paying 8m for him. Bailey won't leave this Summer and we'd get 10m tops for Traore, who is mostly rubbish.

I actually think you've undersold Targett by a couple of million - I'd like to get 17m for him at least. 

• Like 1

Hlozek looked a player tonight in the playoffs, could be somebody we should be targetting. He isnt even 20 yet and looked good in a big game

Svanberg is another that could add to our midfield and shows that players are available elsewhere

1 hour ago, OutByEaster? said:

Didn't we paid 15m for Targett? So we're getting just out money back when he's actually done really well at another prem club.

No Turkish club will paid 10m for Trez. No idea how he's doing on loan and he's only got 12 months left on his deal so dosen't seem realistic.

Davis 12m?! I mean he's done really well at Forest but no championship club or even lower end prem club is paying that for him. Will probably get a decent fee e.g. half of that off Forest if they come up.

Problem in France is very few clubs apart from Nice and PSG could afford even 8m fee. Didn't Freddie do well on loan last season aswell yet we still had to loan him out this season given he's likely also on 40k a week here.

Don't see clubs signing players for those amounts, next week OBE you'll probably say you've got a new job at Everton with valuations like that.😉

Even Sanson we'll struggle to move on for 10m, I predict a season loan for him somewhere.

Luiz is someone we could probably move on for 20m + so there's the big money summer sale if he isn't signing a new deal.

19 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Hlozek looked a player tonight in the playoffs, could be somebody we should be targetting. He isnt even 20 yet and looked good in a big game

Svanberg is another that could add to our midfield and shows that players are available elsewhere

I'd happily sell either CF if I knew someone like Isak was coming in. Still only 22 but guess he'll only leave for a CL club now so that rules us out.

3 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

I'd happily sell either CF if I knew someone like Isak was coming in. Still only 22 but guess he'll only leave for a CL club now so that rules us out.

I really like Isak and can see him going far but he is having a poor season. He has scored once in the league since October and has scored less league goals than Watkins and Ings this season

Targett 20m - maybe including the loan fee

El Ghazi and Trez 10m-15m between them - I put them together because I’m not sure how that total would be broken down

Guilbert 5m

Davis 7m - promotion dependent

Traore 15m - based on his numbers from last season

That’s around £60m and I reckon there will be some who think I’m undervaluing. I think we could have received more for El Ghazi and Traore last summer, but hey ho, Davis’ potentially increased value makes up some of it. I don’t think any of my guesses are wildly unrealistic.

Throw in Sanson and Wes, maybe, that takes us towards £70m.

7 hours ago, messi11 said:

Seems like our scouts are working hard scouting unknown gems like Kelvin Phillips, Paul Pogba, Bisoumma, Suarez, Kessie from AC Milan, Ward-Prowse, James Milner

Yep, they scout players then ring up the different journalists and tell them who they've scouted and that's how we get to read about it

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

my biggest concern when compared to the Smith tenure was that players that were bought in and those here seemed to be improved with coaching. gerrard seems to want to buy the finished articles. Its okay at liverpool and to an extent at rangers were sucess is demanded, but may not work with us. You'd need to be doing better than midtable to get those finished article players in enough areas to justify the outlay. Its a bit of a balancing act but I'm not sure gerrard has shown the patience (or maybe the ability) to do the work on the training ground with the players to ensure they are developed as was seemingly the strategy under Smith, according to purslow.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Mark Albrighton said:

Targett 20m - maybe including the loan fee

El Ghazi and Trez 10m-15m between them - I put them together because I’m not sure how that total would be broken down

Guilbert 5m

Davis 7m - promotion dependent

Traore 15m - based on his numbers from last season

That’s around £60m and I reckon there will be some who think I’m undervaluing. I think we could have received more for El Ghazi and Traore last summer, but hey ho, Davis’ potentially increased value makes up some of it. I don’t think any of my guesses are wildly unrealistic.

Throw in Sanson and Wes, maybe, that takes us towards £70m.

I think people are underselling Davis. He's young and he will get better with more games. We should be getting 10m+ for him.

We can bring in a lot of money in transfers this summer. We should be aiming to get 60m for Targett, Trez, AEG, Guilbert, Davis, Traore. 

We will probably sell a CB too either Hause or Konsa if we buy a new CB (which I'm sure we will)

If we signed Coutinho, Olsen, Bissouma, Gomez and Hickey for around 100 to 110m that would be a great window

28 minutes ago, peterw said:

my biggest concern when compared to the Smith tenure was that players that were bought in and those here seemed to be improved with coaching. gerrard seems to want to buy the finished articles. Its okay at liverpool and to an extent at rangers were sucess is demanded, but may not work with us. You'd need to be doing better than midtable to get those finished article players in enough areas to justify the outlay. Its a bit of a balancing act but I'm not sure gerrard has shown the patience (or maybe the ability) to do the work on the training ground with the players to ensure they are developed as was seemingly the strategy under Smith, according to purslow.

You might be right but it's too early to tell. There needs to be a blend of promising players that need good coaching to develop and finished articles. Under Smith we leaned too heavily towards the former. 

• Like 1