Summer Transfer Window 2022

Loxstock92

18 minutes ago, VillaParkAvenue said:

Maybe off topic but what’s the point of this ”top 8” people now talk about? Would we be happy today if we were 8th instead of 9th? There is still six big clubs and the ling term goal is to break into that group isn’t it?

I think there is the top 2, then places 3-5 fighting it out for CL with one losing out then 5-8 in the mix for Europa league and conference with one losing out. So to be ‘a top 8 side’, I guess must mean we would be in the mix for Europe albeit yes, finishing 8th gets you nothing ultimately. 9-14 mid table, 15 and below crap.

We will never be in the top 2 or even 4. To finish 5th would be a dream season. To be in that 5-8 battle for Europe is where we are aiming for and a realistic aim I think. Our goal for the end of this season should be to finish as high in our mid table league as we can. For pride, for money for enhanced reputation. Unfortunately I think it will be something the fans care about more than the players who played like their season was done already.

Just now, Laughable Chimp said:

I still feel that the main problem position is the striker. We just need to fix that.

I think the spine is the problem…a dominant central defender, a dominant central midfielder and a striker that fits the system.  Three key positions for me need upgrading.

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Yesterday we had Coutinho, Watkins, Ings, Buendia, Ramsey, Bailey and Traore on the pitch 

We had enough attacking threats 

And they didn’t get a sniff because the midfield was over run. 

Mate for as long as I’ve been a member on here I’ve valued your opinion, but this season it just seems like every post is fuelled by your dislike of Gerrard 

Who cares what "big/top [number]" Sky are currently using. Until we're somehow competing for the title, the only number that matters to me is how many league places offer European qualification.

Was it even a thing before Chelsea were bought? In my teenage years we were constantly hearing about the big 4. Then Man City were bought, Tottenham had a few years of higher finishes and Leicester managed to somehow win the league. All this lead to a few of 'traditional' top 4 finishing a bit lower down the table, so the lingo had to change.

Newcastle will be next added. Eventually every PL team will be owned by a despotic leader or one of their conduits and we'll effectively get a reset.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, VillaParkAvenue said:

Maybe off topic but what’s the point of this ”top 8” people now talk about? Would we be happy today if we were 8th instead of 9th? There is still six big clubs and the ling term goal is to break into that group isn’t it?

Some people for some reason want us to be in the conference cup or whatever it is called...... I don't.

21 minutes ago, paul514 said:

Some people for some reason want us to be in the conference cup or whatever it is called...... I don't.

I do, good bit of coinage to be made against fairly weak opposition

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UEFA_Europa_Conference_League

Prize money[edit]

Similar to the UEFA Champions League and UEFA Europa League, the prize money received by the clubs is divided into fixed payments based on participation and results, and variable amounts that depend on the value of their TV market.[17]

For the 2021–22 season, group stage participation in the Europa Conference League is awarded a base fee of €2,940,000. A victory in the group pays €500,000 and a draw €166,000. Also, each group winner earns €650,000 and each runner-up €325,000. Reaching the knock-out stage triggers additional bonuses: €300,000 for the round of 32, €600,000 for the round of 16, €1,000,000 for the quarter-finals and €2,000,000 for the semi-finals. The losing finalists receive €3,000,000 and the champions receive €5,000,000.[18]

• First qualifying round elimination: €150,000
  • Second qualifying round elimination: €350,000
  • Third qualifying round elimination: €550,000
  • Play-off round elimination: €750,000
  • Qualified to Group Stage: €2,940,000
  • Match won in Group Stage: €500,000
  • Match drawn in Group Stage: €166,000
  • 1st in Group Stage: €650,000
  • 2nd in Group Stage: €325,000
  • Knockout round play-offs: €300,000
  • Round of 16: €600,000
  • Quarter-final: €1,000,000
  • Semi-final: €2,000,000
  • Runner-up: €3,000,000
  • Champion: €5,000,000

Also, each domestic champion not qualifying for the Group Stages of any final tournament will receive an additional €260,000.

• Like 1

Just now, paul514 said:

No where near enough money to compare with the havoc it would cause to our league performance 

We would play the back up players though not our first team. Plus we'd sell out VP so even more additional revenue

1 minute ago, paul514 said:

No where near enough money to compare with the havoc it would cause to our league performance 

Maybe! I’d rather get it then have that to worry about.

Just now, nick76 said:

Maybe! I’d rather get it then have that to worry about.

Well yea, maybe. Most of the time it messes up the teams performance in the league.

The same thing happens in the Europa league but at least that is prestigious 

40 minutes ago, paul514 said:

I don't think having more games is a bad thing. We've got a big squad with quite a few players who haven't really had a chance to show what they can do.

It might not be exactly what we want to be competing for, but the only thing I can remember us winning is this:

ipanews_ace2d487-01bf-45b0-a7ab-89c1ac10ba8d_1.jpg.4499fa165a28d64a930e08c4880ad179.jpg

Edited by Sam-AVFC

The Europa Conference League is also a second way to make our way up the league. Win it and we are in the Europa League and if we win that we are in the Champions League.

Bit of dreaming but it is a way to reach higher without getting top-4 in Premier League.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Sam-AVFC said:

Who cares what "big/top [number]" Sky are currently using. Until we're somehow competing for the title, the only number that matters to me is how many league places offer European qualification.

Was it even a thing before Chelsea were bought? In my teenage years we were constantly hearing about the big 4. Then Man City were bought, Tottenham had a few years of higher finishes and Leicester managed to somehow win the league. All this lead to a few of 'traditional' top 4 finishing a bit lower down the table, so the lingo had to change.

Newcastle will be next added. Eventually every PL team will be owned by a despotic leader or one of their conduits and we'll effectively get a reset.

I was reading articles from the 80s recently, they kept mentioning ”the big five”. Man City weren’t part of that group, nor were Chelsea. But Everton were!

• Like 2