Summer Transfer Window 2022

Loxstock92

Don't see Philips ever happening and I really hope it doesn't turn into a scenario where he strings us along all summer and then ends up signing a new deal with Leeds leaving us to panic towards the end of the window.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, sne said:

Don't see Philips ever happening and I really hope it doesn't turn into a scenario where he strings us along all summer and then ends up signing a new deal with Leeds leaving us to panic towards the end of the window.

That’s my worry following the Smith-Rowe and Ward-Prowse debacles (and to a lesser extent Bentancur). No harm in aiming high but need to be wise to being played.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, sne said:

5 in 5 out isn't really that unfeasible tbh.

Trez, El Ghazi, Targett, Guilbert, Kalinic to start and then Hourihane out of contract, as is Young. maybe Keinan Davis earns a move. And that's just the out on loan and fringe guys. Feel like we might sell some of they guys who's been around the starting 11 like Sanson, Traore or someone else. Coutinho and Olsen are on loan.

Hopefully we get Coutinho on a permanent, maybe Olsen too perhaps or another 2nd choice GK. Then we will add a CM at least maybe 2 surely, especially is Coutinho goes elsewhere. LB cover if Young goes. On current form I'd happily swap our 2 senior strikers for 1 good one :D but that seem unlikely considering the investment. 

Mostly those are fringe players. Obviously Sanson and perhaps Traore could well move on aswell and think most on here would wish them well.

Major squad rebuilding is people calling for likes of McGinn, Watkins and even Mings to be sold.

Yes they might not be good enough in long run to get us in top 6 but we still need to keep them around as that's plenty of leadership to lose so that would be major overhaul imo.

Think only big name here that will leave in summer is Luiz and even that's not 100%.

17 hours ago, sne said:

Don't think we'll ever manage (or be allowed to) to bridge the financial gap between the elite clubs and us. 

I'd just settle for being a Leicester really. Of course their fluke title win accelerated their progress but they're in europe regularly now, won an FA cup and had some really good league seasons playing good football so that has to be the aim for us over next decade.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, VillaParkAvenue said:

If a team buys more than a few players for the regular starting XI during one summer, the next season is bound to be ”transitional”. Not enough time together in pre season plus some players will always need time to adjust.

Big personnel changes this summer almost guarantees no top 6 finish until 2023/2024 at the earliest.

I think with the current quality of the team and one or two extra we aren’t going to get top 6 finish ever anyway.  If you told me next season was transitional but the following season we were well in the mix for sixth, I’d snap your hand off.  

In my opinion, we are well off top six material, the step from our level to that level is huge because it requires more quality in players, more consistency, more fight and especially the mental edge that a lot of our players don’t have.

We don’t need a guts removal of this squad but also a few personnel changes aren’t going to make the difference.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, hippo said:

Yeah that bothers me.

I see our youngsters blocked by a load of expensive 29 year olds -and seeking first team football elsewhere.

The Digne/Target fiasco is a worrying sign of things to come.

What about the other flank? Gulibert out on loan so we could've easily gone for another FB but seems Gerrard rates Kesler from recalling him for a few weeks in January so clearly pathway is being created for him to be part of matchday squad eventually, just need more experience on loan.

Same for Archer as generally most teams in prem need more than two out and out CFs over a season so he'll be on the bench plenty of times next season.

I think it's too early to say Gerrard just wants to fill team with loads of old players, any successful team needs a mix as anyone who saw Thiago Silva stroll through yet another game on English soil for Chelsea would agree with.

13 hours ago, Xela said:

How is that a fiasco?

We upgraded our left back. 

And got a top player in Countinho and a very useful versatile player in Chambers for next to nothing. 

I don’t mind fair criticism but January was a fantastic window, I’m not sure how anyone can determine based on the previous window that Gerrard is going to fill our squad with old men to the detriment of our youngsters. 

Nor do I understand how some posters can confidently predict that Gerrards Summer business will “set us back years”

Its absolute garbage. 

1 hour ago, WallisFrizz said:

This summer’s ESR/JWP? I’d be over the moon if it happened (although that is huge money) but can’t see it myself. 

Can’t see Phillips ever leaving Leeds for us but if this was the deal on the table and everybody agreed then I’m 120% for it.  I think he’s a great player and somebody that fits a massive need we have.  I don’t doubt the money I just doubt he’d come to us. 

26 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Can’t see Phillips ever leaving Leeds for us but if this was the deal on the table and everybody agreed then I’m 120% for it.  I think he’s a great player and somebody that fits a massive need we have.  I don’t doubt the money I just doubt he’d come to us. 

I think we should get him and Bissouma. They would be excellent together in midfield with Luiz

Well... Signing a player that's spent a season injured for £60M and paying them £200k a week, that's quite the risk. Unimaginative too... 

I'd have been delighted to sign him when we came up, but surely surely there's better value out there? 

Wouldn’t mind Phillips as he’d bring some aggression and strength into our midfield. 

If we’re up to me, I’d look to offload the following to make space for better players and generate funds for replacements/wages

El Ghazi

Trezeguet

Traore

Hourihane (out of contract anyway)

Davis

Wesley 

Guilbert

Kalinic 

Targett

I imagine we’ll try and convince Coutinho to stay, look to bring in Phillips and Aaron Hickey (to replace Targett) along with another striker

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, theboyangel said:

Wouldn’t mind Phillips as he’d bring some aggression and strength into our midfield. 

If we’re up to me, I’d look to offload the following to make space for better players and generate funds for replacements/wages

El Ghazi

Trezeguet

Traore

Hourihane (out of contract anyway)

Davis

Wesley 

Guilbert

Kalinic 

Targett

I imagine we’ll try and convince Coutinho to stay, look to bring in Phillips and Aaron Hickey (to replace Targett) along with another striker

I reckon we’ll see some first XI leave as well. I think Gerrard will want to change a few and some might want a new challenge elsewhere.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, nick76 said:

I reckon we’ll see some first XI leave as well. I think Gerrard will want to change a few and some might want a new challenge elsewhere.

I agree, strangely i quite like a lot of our players so would be sad to see some go but we have to be ruthless in our push for success and improvement. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, PieFacE said:

Phillips makes our midfield better. Get him in

I agree mate, great player. 

Given what Leeds would be asking though, does his injury record concern you?