Summer Transfer Window 2022

Loxstock92

I can see at least a ten player turnaround this summer with several coming in and several going out.  Gerrard will not want wasters at the football club.  Steven Gerrard will want his own players around him and I think the owners will back him. 

3 minutes ago, STO said:

I can see at least a ten player turnaround this summer with several coming in and several going out.  Gerrard will not want wasters at the football club.  Steven Gerrard will want his own players around him and I think the owners will back him. 

10 players!?

Thats pretty much rebuilding the squad.

Edited by Aston_Villan4

Didn’t Gerrard say that the reason the likes of Bailey and Sanson weren’t starting was because other players are showing more in training? If that’s actually true, those players turning up for training, but not in matches, are pointless for the squad if we actually want to get anywhere.

There are very few players that I would give a shit about us replacing in the summer.

We lack cohesion, chemistry and ideas of mutual understanding between team members who could be, but aren't so much, on the same wavelength. 

I feel like this is largely to do with turnover in personnel, and that's understandable, albeit it will cost us points and time in getting to where we want to be. 

Mostly though it's to do with coaching and instruction from SG, and that's not necessarily a shot at him, again it takes time for implementation and development of ideas to be realised as intended, or adapted to deal with their liabilities and shortcomings if and when those occur during the process of trial and error.

We have the makings of a team that can challenge European placing already. 

Bring in quality that will add to the squads capabilities and more importantly, talent that SG sees as being able and necessary to contribute in our attempts to ascend up the table.

I think we already have an abundance of talent that could, and some have, played in teams that compete in European competitions. Getting them on the same page and working together to benefit the club is imperative. 

I certainly don't align with the idea that we have inadequate ability in the squad.

We knocked off Liverpool 7-2 with a lesser squad. The season following their title triumph and another for them at the top of world football. Our squad is so much deeper and filled with quality in comparison to then. Even the starting XI now, I'd take Buendia and Coutinho as similar in calibre to Grealish and Barkley.

The difference?

Chemistry and game plans.

1 hour ago, jacketspuds said:

Didn’t Gerrard say that the reason the likes of Bailey and Sanson weren’t starting was because other players are showing more in training? If that’s actually true, those players turning up for training, but not in matches, are pointless for the squad if we actually want to get anywhere.

There are very few players that I would give a shit about us replacing in the summer.

For all we know, our current starters, are placed on the same team, each and every scrimmage and drill at training. From my experience in professional team sport this is usually how it goes, but that's me and may well not be the case under SG.

If this is the case, and Sanson and Bailey are partnered with others more on the fringes of the squad, you can understand why certain players look better than others at delivering the tactics and approach as the coach desires.

I am not suggesting anything here is to be taken as how it is, just food for thought. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, useless said:

No manager would the get the current squad where we want to go, we need big changes and genuine best in class Wes Edens approved quality whoever is in charge.

Can you elaborate or say again, please?

I'd like to better understand where you are coming from and the points you are making. 

On the initial point you make, I see your stance, though I don't share it.

West Ham and even Arsenal aren't so far ahead of us personnel-wise. They just have complementary pieces and as a whole are reaping the rewards of good planning and the commitment to deliver each week. Good planning breed's confidence because you can envision the success before you have it, and so the incentive is to go forth and take it.

Edit: I'm all about Wes Edens. I think highly of him as a person as much as an asset to our club. Don't know what you brought him into the discussion to say though, apologies. 

Edited by A'Villan
  • Like 1

5 in 5 out isn't really that unfeasible tbh.

Trez, El Ghazi, Targett, Guilbert, Kalinic to start and then Hourihane out of contract, as is Young. maybe Keinan Davis earns a move. And that's just the out on loan and fringe guys. Feel like we might sell some of they guys who's been around the starting 11 like Sanson, Traore or someone else. Coutinho and Olsen are on loan.

Hopefully we get Coutinho on a permanent, maybe Olsen too perhaps or another 2nd choice GK. Then we will add a CM at least maybe 2 surely, especially is Coutinho goes elsewhere. LB cover if Young goes. On current form I'd happily swap our 2 senior strikers for 1 good one :D but that seem unlikely considering the investment. 

We've taken more points than West Ham since Gerrard arrived, so them being ahead of us is down to the bad start we had before Gerrard was appointed.

As for Arsenal they're way ahead of us and always were, people talk about it taking Arteta this long to get it right, but they've been one of the better teams in the league for most of his time with them, it was only the start of last season when they were poor, this whole talk of us catching up with them and signing their best players was silly.

Our team isn't that great, we've only got four or three players good enough for top six, and one of those is on loan, it's by and large a midtable team made up of midtable players.

Edited by useless
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, useless said:

We've taken more points than West Ham since Gerrard arrived, so them being ahead of us is down to the bad start we had before Gerrard was appointed.

As for Arsenal they're way ahead of us and always were, people talk about it taking Arteta this long to get it right, but they've been one of the better teams in the league for most of his time with them, it was only the start of last season when they were poor, this whole talk of us catching up with them and signing their best players was silly.

Our team isn't that great, we've only got four or three players good enough for top six, and one of those is on loan, it's by and large a midtable team made up of midtable players.

In regards Wes Edens you just meant he will invest in the quality required for success?

Edited by A'Villan

Also West Ham are overachieving with their squad, as are Wolves, which okay if you want to have a token season two of finishing around seventh or eighth before dropping back down to midtable like so many have done,  but we have loftier aims than that, we want to become an established member of the elite.

3 minutes ago, useless said:

Or down to the fact we have a capable squad..

1 minute ago, useless said:

Also West Ham are overachieving with their squad, as are Wolves, which okay if you want to have a token season two of finishing around seventh or eighth before dropping back down to midtable like so many have done,  but we have loftier aims than that, we want to become an established member of the elite.

So are we in a better place than west ham or wolves because we havent had their token successful seasons?

2 hours ago, useless said:

No manager would the get the current squad where we want to go, we need big changes and genuine best in class Wes Edens approved quality whoever is in charge.

We’re not getting best in class players, at least not now, so that alternative doesn’t really exist.

We’ll have to work with good but flawed players and hope a clever manager can make them look better than they are. Going shopping for a CL quality squad isn’t possible.

• Like 1

Wolves have taken just four more points than us since Gerrard came in and have played one more game, hardly a massive difference. In fact we're still eighth in the table based on games since Gerrard became manager, only Wolves and the traditional top six have won more points in that time.

It's more than possible to significantly improve what we already have, I would suggest to one and all to not get too attached to too many of our current team as many of them will be upgraded in the summer.

Next season the pressure will be on Gerraradical because we will have a team expected to seriously challenge for top six and trophies.

Edited by useless
I've called him 'Gerraradical' because I think he's going to make radical changes to the team in he summer.
  • Like 3