Summer Transfer Window 2022

Loxstock92

If we really want to progress, I think we need two central midfielders. Two defensive minded ones. 

Luiz and Sanson out, Kamara/Kessie and Phillips in. Something like that. 

This would then allow us to play a 4-2-3-1 or a better version of what we’re playing now. 

2 central midfielders, a striker and a fullback (probably left sided) to compete with Digne and we’d have had a brilliant Summer. 

I think we need to be ruthless this Summer. I have no issue letting someone like McGinn and Watkins go if it means we can properly strengthen the first eleven. Time to really roll the dice. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

If we really want to progress, I think we need two central midfielders. Two defensive minded ones. 

This would then allow us to play a 4-2-3-1 or a better version of what we’re playing now. 

2 central midfielders, a striker and a fullback (probably left sided) to compete with Digne and we’d have had a brilliant Summer. 

I think we need to be ruthless this Summer. I have no issue letting someone like McGinn and Watkins go if it means we can properly strengthen the first eleven. Time to really roll the dice. 

This sounds a lot like when my very impatient son plays Fantasy Premier League.

When his FPL players have a bad week, he always makes a lot of costly extra transfers and changes half the team in a rage.

The recently sold players often improve the week after, forcing him to sell the new ones and buy back the old squad. And around it goes, costing him 20 or 24 points in transfer fees each week.

9 minutes ago, VillaParkAvenue said:

When his FPL players have a bad week, he always makes a lot of costly extra transfers and changes half the team in a rage.

The recently sold players often improve the week after, forcing him to sell the new ones and buy back the old squad. And around it goes, costing him 20 or 24 points in transfer fees each week.

I see the point you’re making but the likes of McGinn and Luiz have been here a long time now and we’re still not breaking into that top 7/8. 

There’s a reason we lost to West Ham today and that’s because we’re not as good as them. We’ll lose to them again next season if we don’t strengthen and improve on what we have. 

Im afraid you need to be ruthless when trying to improve and compete at the top end of the table. 

3 hours ago, Villaphan04 said:

I keep wondering when Krystian Bielik (Derby CB) gets a move. He's had terrible ACL injury luck which isn't really good, but I think he is a very good player

He has missed 80 games in the last 2.5 seasons. Would be a huge risk

• Like 1

Also, from a FFP perspective, sales free you up for further investment.  A sale is realized in its entirety in the current year (less any unrealized accrued transfer fee), where as a purchased player’s transfer fee is spread over the life of a contract.

sales of Davis (10m), Trezeguet/Traore  (10m), and perhaps one of Watkins/McGinn/Cash (35-45m) gives us a ton of flexibility on incomings

• Like 1

If we're serious about challenging for top six, and by serious i mean genuninely breaking into the top six and staying there rather than just making a token effort of finishing seventh before falling down the table again like so many other teams have done, we probably have to face facts that most of our team aren't good enough, some favorites will have to be replaced in the starting eleven, it's not that they're bad players per se, just not top six quality, not many of our players would get into a top six team.

Edited by useless
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Delphinho123 said:

I see the point you’re making but the likes of McGinn and Luiz have been here a long time now and we’re still not breaking into that top 7/8. 

There’s a reason we lost to West Ham today and that’s because we’re not as good as them. We’ll lose to them again next season if we don’t strengthen and improve on what we have. 

Im afraid you need to be ruthless when trying to improve and compete at the top end of the table. 

Ok, but we are apparently better than Southampton since we just beat them 4-0. So why did West Ham lose to Southampton recently, twice? There’s a huge element of chance in games.

I agree we need to strengthen, but big changes would lead to another season spent in transition. Things like continuity, pre-seasons and working together on the training pitch can be effective.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, useless said:

If we're serious about challenging for top six, and by serious i mean genuninely breaking into the top six and staying there rather than just making a token effort of finishing seventh before falling down the table again like so many other teams have done, we probably have to face facts that most of our team aren't good enough, some favorites will have to be replaced in the starting eleven, it's not that they're bad players per se, just not top six quality, not many of our players would get into a top six team.

Isn’t this stating the obvious? Better players make better teams. Man City have only a few mediocre players, Spurs have many more, and so on. It’s still possible to break into top six one season with good coaching and a little luck, and try to build from there.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Delphinho123 said:

0% chance McGinn is leaving.

Surely makes more sense to try to move Ings on. Guy is 30 in the summer and just not had a good season. Neither has Ollie but he could still get into double figures which would be like us finishing in top 10, acceptable.

It's more moving on likes of Trez, Gullibert, Davis, AEG full time now as all have no futures here. Targett will go for 15-20m seemingly and I think big name departures will probably be Luiz and possibly Traore who's constantly unused sub, Sanson will surely push for a move end of the season aswell.

That's a decent chunk of guys we signed in summer 2019 so they played their part in keeping us up and mid table last season but shows how quickly football clubs can move on.

Incredible to think someone like Kalinic still has a year to go on his deal. He ceased being a Villa player in my mind about two years ago.

1 hour ago, VillaParkAvenue said:

Ok, but we are apparently better than Southampton since we just beat them 4-0. So why did West Ham lose to Southampton recently, twice? There’s a huge element of chance in games.

I agree we need to strengthen, but big changes would lead to another season spent in transition. Things like continuity, pre-seasons and working together on the training pitch can be effective.

Luiz will need to be sold if he dosen't sign a new deal. Not much you can do about it as we surely must've offered him an extension by now. Him and Sanson out gives us space to get in a new DM, keep Nakamba as back up and still have enough options for the other positions. Should also mean Carney gets more minutes next season.

2 hours ago, useless said:

This is the hard truth, so it's best to not get too attached. The only must keeps are Coutinho and Martinez. 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, maqroll said:

This is the hard truth, so it's best to not get too attached. The only must keeps are Coutinho and Martinez. 

The even harder truth is of course that no players really are must keeps, they all have a price and will all be measured against what they contribute.

20 hours ago, nick76 said:

It’s no surprise though when after over two thirds of season our top scorer is on 7 goals and second place is on 5 goals.

Yes there are reasons why but there always is, so when you see the stats there is the reason why a new goalscorer gets mentioned.  I’m not saying we should get one but our players don’t score enough goals individually.

Sure but the argument for ‘we need a new striker because the ones we have aren’t scoring enough’ inherently suggests that they aren’t scoring enough because they’re not good enough.

Right now we have 2 strikers who we know are up to a very very high standard, therefore replacing them with another striker without considering any of the additional factors your elude to will ultimately doom us to make the same mistakes.

We always knew this year would be a year of transition, I for one would much prefer to leverage the time we have already invested in current players learning understand each other, and make the structural tweaks required to facilitate more goal output (which I think Gerrard has already begun).

• Like 2

11 hours ago, VillaParkAvenue said:

Ok, but there was loads of us saying this before we lost a game.....

We have a team that is 13th - 9th

We are lacking physically and aerially.

West Ham were the better side because they had a blend between physicality and and technical ability.

We need some steel in the middle of the park, even up front we need some height. 

Edited by Reivax_Villa
  • Like 4

9 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Surely makes more sense to try to move Ings on. Guy is 30 in the summer and just not had a good season. Neither has Ollie but he could still get into double figures which would be like us finishing in top 10, acceptable.

Makes much more sense to sell Ollie.  

Given there isn’t much between them quality wise, selling Ollie would get much much more money to spend either on another striker or elsewhere in the team.  

Danny’s value because of his age won’t compensate against the quality he brings us.  

Keep Danny, sell Ollie and bring in better quality always knowing Danny is there if we need.  

Selling Ollie now at his highest premium makes much more sense because we are seeing he’s not likely to be the top notch striker consistently that we need, which include trying to get close to a ~20 goals a season target. Just getting into double figures isn’t enough.