Summer Transfer Window 2022

Loxstock92

10 minutes ago, striker said:

I really don’t see the point of this potential transfer when Villa already have Watkins, Ings and Archer coming through plus Davis who is doing very well at Forest.

If Villa are to spend big on wages and transfer fees then it must be spent on midfield which is still the most conspicuous weakness.

No doubt in my mind the player Gerrard really wants is Bissouma for the DM position so will go all out in the summer to get him.

You could say that about every position in our squad right now. Do we need a new CDM as we are playing well. Do we need a new Striker as we are playing well. Do we need a new CB as we are playing well. 

You need new players to drive onwards. Players who set standards at a level as high as Suarez help the club. Archer needs more loan time to keep progressing and Suarez is a good addition to the forwards.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CVByrne said:

He said he wants to play in MLS when he's 37. He only turned 35 last month. If he feels supported by the manager - like he would here - then he will do well. You have to remember the dynamic at Athletico is different, he came in with a point to prove and was sensational for them last season. This season the team have been poor as a whole, Suarez is leaving so of course it makes sense to get the players who will be with you next season playing more often. 

If Gerrard is realistic with him about the role he'd have at Villa, adding the winning mentality and 100% application in training and on the pitch. The team can learn from him. His salary of £190,000 would need to drop however. A Suarez with a point to prove with the World Cup at the end of this year would be superb. The whole pre-season to next season with him around players like Archer. Make no mistake about Suarez he is an incredibly dedicated and hard working pro, who in the first 12 games of this La Liga season had a 7 goals and 2 assists. Given he never played the full games that's over 1 goal contribution per 90 in that period. 

Not really the problem is he cant move and all the desire wont get that fixed. He would be a worse version of what Ronaldo is now

• Like 3

Ronaldo doesn't work in the system United want to play.

We don't play with all out hard pressing. We block passing into midfield with our front 3 forcing the ball wide. This requires less from your CF than what Athletico do. Suarez would have less physical demands on him.

2 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Not really the problem is he cant move and all the desire wont get that fixed. He would be a worse version of what Ronaldo is now

And he's on almost £300k/w at Atletico. Even if we got him down to £100/k that would still be eye watering for a bit part player regardless of how fantastic he used to be.

21 minutes ago, WallisFrizz said:

Yeah I would see it as a strong possibility he would go to United given the state of their midfield. They’re going to want a massive overhaul and culture change in the summer.

Dont get me wrong, I would love him here, I just can’t see it happening.

I'm not sure Man Utd would go for him to be honest. They've already gone down the road of bringing back an aging legend in Ronaldo and that hasn't worked out very well so they'd be more cautious again. 

And he retired 4 years ago which is a long time to be out of the game.

Edited by YLN

45 minutes ago, sne said:

And he's on almost £300k/w at Atletico. Even if we got him down to £100/k that would still be eye watering for a bit part player regardless of how fantastic he used to be.

The average wage is now 65k...

1 hour ago, WallisFrizz said:

Yeah I would see it as a strong possibility he would go to United given the state of their midfield. They’re going to want a massive overhaul and culture change in the summer.

Dont get me wrong, I would love him here, I just can’t see it happening.

Word around the campfire is that Rangnick wants Ruben Neves. He mightn’t be there this summer mind you….

If they went for Phillips we should go after neves. He wouldn’t even have to move house.

1 hour ago, Aston_Villan4 said:

Who do you have in mind because selling a bunch of players is a terrible idea if they’ve been key contributors.

Start with the obvious....

AEG, Trez, Davis. No need for them currently

Targett who doesn't want to fight for his place and needs replacing.
Young, an easy upgrade (right back)

Chukwumeka if he won't sign a contract

So that is 2 full backs in.

Then there is the choices to be made.....

For me we need to play a double pivot to get the best out of our personnel.

I think it is time to sell McGinn, I think Luis can be sold regrettably if he doesn't sign a contract.

I'd have two DCM's to replace them.

So that is 4 in.

I think outside of this is overly ambitious but I think we could look at a CD and CF.

Clearly Gerrard is someone who wants his centre backs to pass out from the back something Konsa doesn't do, even though I rate him as our best defender, we could look to sell him. I think if Chambers continues to impress this becomes less important but if he takes his place long term then the value of Konsa will reduce.

I'm not convinced that Watkins will ever do what we want from him, and we haven't seen enough from Ings to know what he can do for us with the players we have around him, but I am not that bothered about this right now. I am more bothered about defence and general play. The exception to this is if Arsenal come in for Watkins with a big offer and the player would like to go.

8 out 4 in basically. Possibly less depending on contract negotiations 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, paul514 said:

Well yea but so is 10k a week. It's just what players get paid their income has ballooned as the income has ballooned.

Yes players’ income has ballooned as income has ballooned. As an old working class guy I have always believed that workers should receive the fruits of their labours. No free-be handouts just a share in the results of your work. So if there are now billions of pounds awash in the football world then players should get their share. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, KangarooVillan said:

I think this year is officially the year to accept that everyone saying we need to sign another striker at the end of the year are going to say it literally every year regardless of personnel.

I must say I think this most years when I see peoples posts.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, KangarooVillan said:

I think this year is officially the year to accept that everyone saying we need to sign another striker at the end of the year are going to say it literally every year regardless of personnel.

We need to sell another striker. Ideally Davis.

7 hours ago, KangarooVillan said:

It’s no surprise though when after over two thirds of season our top scorer is on 7 goals and second place is on 5 goals.

Yes there are reasons why but there always is, so when you see the stats there is the reason why a new goalscorer gets mentioned.  I’m not saying we should get one but our players don’t score enough goals individually.

Edited by nick76
  • Like 2

59 minutes ago, nick76 said:

It’s no surprise though when after over two thirds of season our top scorer is on 7 goals and second place is on 5 goals.

Yes there are reasons why but there always is, so when you see the stats there is the reason why a new goalscorer gets mentioned.  I’m not saying we should get one but our players don’t score enough goals individually.

Agreed, if since the time SG arrived here we’d had a striker on form and scoring consistently, we could easily have 5 or 6 more points now. Perhaps we can solve the problem without a change of personnel up front but as you say it’s a valid concern. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

Agreed, if since the time SG arrived here we’d had a striker on form and scoring consistently, we could easily have 5 or 6 more points now. Perhaps we can solve the problem without a change of personnel up front but as you say it’s a valid concern. 

I agree that it's a valid concern. The numbers don't lie.

However I don't believe it's a pressing concern. When we consider the talent coming through in this positon, plus having two England international strikers in their prime years, athough the numbers from them this season is disappointing, they deserve more faith, especially considering their recent improvement. This season has been full of upheaval in our forward line so we need to show a bit more understanding imo.

We are also at a stage where we require £30 million players at a minimum to improve. Yes we may unearth a bargin and or youth player here and there, but the spending has to be directed at two or three players of high quality that will really improve us. If we analyse the striker situation, we are looking at the £80 million and above figure to get better than what we have. 

When we take into account the £33 million we all want spent on Coutinho, that leaves about £70 million left in budget most likely. Then we want to spend £30 to £50 million on a top defensive midfielder, plus we all see a need for another left back, and I personally think we need another quality centre back. I don't see how we can sign a better striker unless we sell a couple of high profile members of our squad, and that is on the basis there is another £100 million to spend, which I'm not convinced there is!

• Like 1