Summer Transfer Window 2022

Loxstock92

I think we have every chance of signing Philips. I think Purslow, Gerrard and the owners are thinking very big and have backed up the talk every season  with bigger, more ambitious signings being targeted and delivered. They are not as mentally encumbered as us fans, with the financial backing we have we are operating on a level on par with the all but the very top sides, our only hinderance at present is we are non-champions league.

We will need a confident run-in to show real momentum, we might finish the season with a very impressive final 15 games - that’s how you want to end a season. If we convert Coutinho to permanent we are suddenly a story with momentum and serious, ambitious owners delivering on their project promise.

I suspect that Targett, Trez, AEG, Davis, Sanson or Luiz, and possibly Traore will all leave, that’s £70m+ ish in revenue. I also think that the it’s evident that buying a better quality player for much higher money is required where our ambition lies. We have to spend to compete, we will spend at least like Spurs and Arsenal because they will be our rivals.

Edited by thunderball
  • Like 1

We’re not just another club to Leeds though are we. They hate us. Phillips values his legacy with the Leeds fans, I just can’t see him making the move unless Leeds are relegated and we’re the only club that comes in for him. 

• Like 1

Long article in The Athletic today about Suarez, how his goal scoring has dried up at Atletico and how he is getting less game time because he no longer can play like before.

The decision to go without Suarez has also coincided with an upturn in Atletico’s results and performances. The infectious aggression and physicality in pressing and unsettling opposition defences from his best moments with Barcelona is just no longer possible. The team have looked more compact and connected without a No 9 isolated up front.”

In the article it also sounds like Suarez isn’t too happy about being a bench option and that he probably wants to leave for a less stressful league, like MLS.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, WallisFrizz said:

We’re not just another club to Leeds though are we. They hate us. Phillips values his legacy with the Leeds fans, I just can’t see him making the move unless Leeds are relegated and we’re the only club that comes in for him. 

True, but Leeds seem to hate almost everybody.

19 minutes ago, VillaParkAvenue said:

Long article in The Athletic today about Suarez, how his goal scoring has dried up at Atletico and how he is getting less game time because he no longer can play like before.

The decision to go without Suarez has also coincided with an upturn in Atletico’s results and performances. The infectious aggression and physicality in pressing and unsettling opposition defences from his best moments with Barcelona is just no longer possible. The team have looked more compact and connected without a No 9 isolated up front.”

In the article it also sounds like Suarez isn’t too happy about being a bench option and that he probably wants to leave for a less stressful league, like MLS.

He said he wants to play in MLS when he's 37. He only turned 35 last month. If he feels supported by the manager - like he would here - then he will do well. You have to remember the dynamic at Athletico is different, he came in with a point to prove and was sensational for them last season. This season the team have been poor as a whole, Suarez is leaving so of course it makes sense to get the players who will be with you next season playing more often. 

If Gerrard is realistic with him about the role he'd have at Villa, adding the winning mentality and 100% application in training and on the pitch. The team can learn from him. His salary of £190,000 would need to drop however. A Suarez with a point to prove with the World Cup at the end of this year would be superb. The whole pre-season to next season with him around players like Archer. Make no mistake about Suarez he is an incredibly dedicated and hard working pro, who in the first 12 games of this La Liga season had a 7 goals and 2 assists. Given he never played the full games that's over 1 goal contribution per 90 in that period. 

1 hour ago, WallisFrizz said:

If Leeds are relegated his fee will drop and a bigger club will want to snap him up. The only reason I can see him leaving is if he feels the time is right to move on ala Grealish did. For Leeds they will accept bids from those who meet their valuation. I do feel only the Big 4 and Arsenal would be able to get him ahead of us due to the Gerrard factor and how long we've pursued him. If we have signed Suarez for 12 months and Coutinho is here it does look exciting season with the world cup in there.

9 hours ago, Aston_Villan4 said:

They’ve already rejected us once. Why would they agree this time around? Are we going to give them £60 million for him?

This summer is last large fee they can get for him as he's 2 years remaining on his contract. Bissouma is a lower fee than last season as he has 1 year left. 

• Like 1

After JWP, ESR and Bissouma, I just hope Phillips isn’t next in our ongoing quest to sign players who are either reluctant to come or where the club won’t sell. I understand Villa want to buy from within the league, but it is difficult so they better have alternative plans.

I would have thought the most likely destination for Phillips is old Trafford.

on the subject of our business I want to sell a bunch of players this summer to make space for new ones 

3 minutes ago, paul514 said:

on the subject of our business I want to sell a bunch of players this summer to make space for new ones 

You seem to forget that United only sign shiny players with a big profile. That will probably change if Rangnick has more influence in his consultancy role and Woodward leaving, but they've needed a no frills DM for longer than us now and they've never signed one.

4 minutes ago, sparrow1988 said:

You seem to forget that United only sign shiny players with a big profile. That will probably change if Rangnick has more influence in his consultancy role and Woodward leaving, but they've needed a no frills DM for longer than us now and they've never signed one.

I think he is shiny enough for them

9 minutes ago, paul514 said:

Man United are the ones Leeds hate the most. If Phillips went there he would get death threats from Leeds fans. Won’t happen.

12 minutes ago, paul514 said:

Who do you have in mind because selling a bunch of players is a terrible idea if they’ve been key contributors.

• Like 1

Just now, paul514 said:

I think Phillips is unusually non-shiny for a top player. When the camera zoomed in on him in the crowd at the latest Leeds game, my brother commented that he looks like an unemployed bloke who steals copper wire for a living.

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, VillaParkAvenue said:

I think Phillips is unusually non-shiny for a top player. When the camera zoomed in on him in the crowd at the latest Leeds game, my brother commented that he looks like an unemployed bloke who steals copper wire for a living.

spacer.png

1 hour ago, CVByrne said:

He said he wants to play in MLS when he's 37. He only turned 35 last month. If he feels supported by the manager - like he would here - then he will do well. You have to remember the dynamic at Athletico is different, he came in with a point to prove and was sensational for them last season. This season the team have been poor as a whole, Suarez is leaving so of course it makes sense to get the players who will be with you next season playing more often. 

If Gerrard is realistic with him about the role he'd have at Villa, adding the winning mentality and 100% application in training and on the pitch. The team can learn from him. His salary of £190,000 would need to drop however. A Suarez with a point to prove with the World Cup at the end of this year would be superb. The whole pre-season to next season with him around players like Archer. Make no mistake about Suarez he is an incredibly dedicated and hard working pro, who in the first 12 games of this La Liga season had a 7 goals and 2 assists. Given he never played the full games that's over 1 goal contribution per 90 in that period. 

I really don’t see the point of this potential transfer when Villa already have Watkins, Ings and Archer coming through plus Davis who is doing very well at Forest.

If Villa are to spend big on wages and transfer fees then it must be spent on midfield which is still the most conspicuous weakness.

No doubt in my mind the player Gerrard really wants is Bissouma for the DM position so will go all out in the summer to get him.

Edited by striker
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, VillaParkAvenue said:

Man United are the ones Leeds hate the most. If Phillips went there he would get death threats from Leeds fans. Won’t happen.

The day Leeds were relegated

Alan Smith kissed the badge on the day Leeds were relegated from the Premier League

A couple of months later

Smith joined Man United despite previously saying he would never play for the club

• Like 1

Just now, sparrow1988 said:

The day Leeds were relegated

Alan Smith kissed the badge on the day Leeds were relegated from the Premier League

A couple of months later

Smith joined Man United despite previously saying he would never play for the club

Yeah I would see it as a strong possibility he would go to United given the state of their midfield. They’re going to want a massive overhaul and culture change in the summer.

Dont get me wrong, I would love him here, I just can’t see it happening.

23 minutes ago, paul514 said:

Just over 700k instagram followers. Not very shiny at all in United terms. As I said, maybe they will change their strategy on signings but Phillips doesn't fit United profilewise based on their recent transfers.

Edited by sparrow1988

58 minutes ago, VillaParkAvenue said:

East 17's Brian Harvey films himself being kicked out of benefits office  saying he will be made homeless | Celebrity | HeatLUFC Photos on Twitter: "Kalvin Phillips. #LUFC https://t.co/8J5oQUrPiw" /  Twitter

Edited by sne