Summer Transfer Window 2022

Loxstock92

4 minutes ago, paul514 said:

I'd back all 4 of our current wide players to be good enough.

I would also be interested to see whether Bailey for example could play through the centre.  I mean we probably wouldn't score many headers but with Emi2, Coutinho and Bailey bearing down on them most CBs would be in a bit of a panic.  Importantly I think all three can hit a pretty good ball and so simply dropping deep to make sure there is not much space for them to break into wouldn't work.  All three are more than capable of finding the top corner from outside the box.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, allani said:

I would also be interested to see whether Bailey for example could play through the centre.  I mean we probably wouldn't score many headers but with Emi2, Coutinho and Bailey bearing down on them most CBs would be in a bit of a panic.  Importantly I think all three can hit a pretty good ball and so simply dropping deep to make sure there is not much space for them to break into wouldn't work.  All three are more than capable of finding the top corner from outside the box.

I think he could play as a centre forward personally, I wouldn't worry about Bailey other than his injury record he is pure class.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, paul514 said:

I think he could play as a centre forward personally, I wouldn't worry about Bailey other than his injury record he is pure class.

With Watkins and Ings not really firing, Bailey up front with Coutinho/Buendia behind.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Lord Willard said:

I think it's unfair to say Ings isn't firing, he hasnt really been given a fair chance so far. 

Ings hasn’t played as much as Watkins over the season, but not been benched that long. Watkins started the last three, before that Ings started four games in a row.

2 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Man City style front 3?

License to roam and interchange up top between them.

Re: scoring goal with headers... Little EMI seems to have quite the knack of getting them, despite his size!

Good point!

2 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Man City style front 3?

License to roam and interchange up top between them.

Re: scoring goal with headers... Little EMI seems to have quite the knack of getting them, despite his size!

It might also stop Mings and McGinn from just hoofing the ball forwards when they get it.  Although given that I think Ollie won 4 out of 25 aerial battles against Newcastle and we still kept launching the ball at him - maybe it wouldn't stop them,

19 hours ago, AvonVillain said:

We already have academy players looking to leave/run down their contracts due to lack of first team opportunity, and the quality ahead of them are not of the standard you propose we buy. If we go down the route suggested, mothball the academy now, or install a permanent viewing platform for German clubs doing things properly to hoover them all up like Jacob Ramsey, accidentally progressing here instead of being stifled by the likes of big-money-signing James Ward Prowse.

We have one academy player looking to potentially leave. 

If the players in the academy are good enough, they will make it. I'm not saying shut them out, we just need the finished articles now. The academy talent can then learn from those players. Players like Ramsey and Chuk, will learn a lot more from Coutinho then they will El Ghazi or Trez

18 hours ago, VillaParkAvenue said:

If they’re still that good, they’re unlikely to come here - Coutinho was an exception as Gerrard’s old teammate.

Those on that level who came would be past their prime, like when Everton signed James Rodriguez. Bringing in washed players like Aubameyang or Aaron Ramsey on huge wages would kill the club quickly.

Its about doing due diligence isn't it? Aaron Ramsey would't be who I would be looking at. Gerrard's influence could possibly get Suarez here, or maybe Firminho? As for Rodriguez, was he past his prime? He did have injury concerns but his performances were good. He's just another who didn't like Benitez! 

Still angry about Saturday I'm all for selling Watkins, Luiz, Cash and McGinn as I think we can get profit for each.  People outside of Villa think McGinn and Watkins are much better than they are and throw in Targett and we'll have a good amount of money for a summer assault on the transfer market.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

Still angry about Saturday I'm all for selling Watkins, Luiz, Cash and McGinn as I think we can get profit for each.  People outside of Villa think McGinn and Watkins are much better than they are and throw in Targett and we'll have a good amount of money for a summer assault on the transfer market.

Selling half the team because of a few bad games is suicide.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, duke313 said:

Selling half the team because of a few bad games is suicide.

Not looking to actively offload, but it would be hard to turn down £30-£40m for any of those (£20m for Targett).

Cash I'd only sell if Athletico are looking to overpay as rumoured.

On 18/02/2022 at 19:02, Xela said:

Its about doing due diligence isn't it? Aaron Ramsey would't be who I would be looking at. Gerrard's influence could possibly get Suarez here, or maybe Firminho? As for Rodriguez, was he past his prime? He did have injury concerns but his performances were good. He's just another who didn't like Benitez! 

You mean James, who now plays in the Qatari league? he started well, but was absolutely terrible for most of the season, he was destined to leave before Benitez came in. James will have at least cost Everton £10m in wages for the year, then there will have been a massive signing on fee and the biggest question being, if they have been able to offload his full wages, if so they have been extremely lucky, as what happens a lot is that these type of players simply stay till their contracts expire, my guess would be that Everton are still paying parts of his wages this season.  

I'd absolutely hate it if we started to fill our squad with ex-liverpool players, who are well past their prime and on massive wages, hindering the development of players with potential or stopping us signing players that actually might improve.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Chicken Field said:

You mean James, who now plays in the Qatari league? he started well, but was absolutely terrible for most of the season, he was destined to leave before Benitez came in. James will have at least cost Everton £10m in wages for the year, then there will have been a massive signing on fee and the biggest question being, if they have been able to offload his full wages, if so they have been extremely lucky, as what happens a lot is that these type of players simply stay till their contracts expire, my guess would be that Everton are still paying parts of his wages this season.  

I'd absolutely hate it if we started to fill our squad with ex-liverpool players, who are well past their prime and on massive wages, hindering the development of players with potential or stopping us signing players that actually might improve.

100% this.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chicken Field said:

This is when I'd start to question Gerrard.

Can you imagine a summer window consisting of Gomez, Milner, Firmino and Suarez?

throw up team america GIF

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wainy316 said:

McGinn was given quite a long new contract so not sure we have any designs to sell him  , but if we can get close to £100 for the other 4  plus something for Bailey , Trez , Sanson and El G  ( maybe also Ings)  then I'd like to think we can do a decent rebuild for some athletic players rather than  team that appears its modelled around Flash the sloth 

The danger is too big a rebuild and too much change in personnel only to find out Gerrard isn't the messiah  means we end up with a scenario akin to the Sherwood / Garde era